#1 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

Hello,

First time on the site and hoping someone can help me. I have a 1999 mini cooper MPI and I recently had the engine out to replace the baulk rings. Everything is back in now and i have triple checked the wiring however she refuses to start. I have cranked for a long time but still nothing. It did sound like it was trying to start with the odd fire here and there but now i get nothing. Here is what i have looked at so far:

1. Checked that i'm getting a spark - i do and a very bright one

2. Checked the plugs are wet - they seem to be

3. Checked the HT leads are in correct order - referred to a picture i have of the car, all OK

4. Charged battery full

5. Checked inertia switch - seems to be clicked down

6. Checked all connectors are push in tight - all OK

I also noticed 3 things:

1. have a connector that i cant work out for the life of me what its for, see picture. Its located next to the horn but there is nothing i can see for it to plug in to. Does anyone know what its for?

2. There is a spade with nothing connected to it on the solenoid, does anyone know what its for?

3. The alternator only has 3 wires connected to it, the "W" terminal has nothing, is this normal?

Any other advice on what to try would be great! Im assuming at this stage it must be a fuel delivery problem since its sparking OK.

Thanks!!

Attached Files

Edited by cant_sit_still, 11 March 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#2 bartman

bartman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:05 PM

Is that unused connector for the camshaft sensor at rear of engine under manifold. It won’t start without that connected

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

Did you disconnect the ECU?

If so, remove the connectors again, clean them with some electrical cleaner and clip back firmly.

I have had this a few times on the MPI's.

#4 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

Is that unused connector for the camshaft sensor at rear of engine under manifold. It won’t start without that connected

That sensor is defiantly connected as i recall finding it tricky to do with the manifolds back on again. I will check it again. It would not reach down there anyway as its attached to the horn connector and only really moves about 10cm from the horn area. So confused, why would there be a connector spare i wonder. Its the same connector as the fan so looks like its a power connector.

Thanks!

#5 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:22 AM

Did you disconnect the ECU?

If so, remove the connectors again, clean them with some electrical cleaner and clip back firmly.

I have had this a few times on the MPI's.

Yes i did have it out, i will try that and report back! I also did an earth check with a multi-meter, seems maybe the engine is not earthed perfectly. I will install a 2nd earth cable as well and see.

Thanks!

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

You haven't mixed up the oil temp and cranks sensor plugs, have you?

#7 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

You haven't mixed up the oil temp and cranks sensor plugs, have you?

The crank sensor is a blue connector is that right? If so they are connected OK. Thanks

#8 bartman

bartman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

What colour are the wires going in to the connector?? Is it 2 pin? What shape is it?

#9 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

What colour are the wires going in to the connector?? Is it 2 pin? What shape is it?

Hello. There is a sleeve over the wires. Here is a picture:

#10 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:13 PM

Hello. There is a sleeve over the wires. Here is a picture:

I have added to first post. Thanks

#11 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:22 PM

OK so i tried checking the connectors and cleaning the ecu connectors with a small wire brush carefully. No joy. There is no spark now at all which is why its not firing at all now i guess. 

I tired to read the fault codes with a cheap OBDII adaptor (ODB fusion app on Android) but it cant connect - does anyone know if they should work on this car?

I also noticed that the relay module is making a horrible noise now over and over like its trying to do something. Its like a relay chattering noise, almost like a crackling. Very worrying. Could it be faulty or maybe something else not connected right. It was not doing this to start after the engine was back in but seems to have got worse. Maybe its not supplying power to ECU? hence no spark and OBDII wont connect?

Here is a video: https://youtu.be/TYdhFTFF9iE

I also tried earthing the engine with jump leads direct to the battery. Makes no difference.

#12 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Boggo OBD reader won't work unfortunately. That chattering noise is not normal! Crank sensor is connected correctly.

#13 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

Boggo OBD reader won't work unfortunately. That chattering noise is not normal! Crank sensor is connected correctly.

Thanks. Is it normal for the rev counter to jump a little as it crackles? I'm sure this was not happening before

#14 cant_sit_still

cant_sit_still

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

I found this post:

http://www.theminifo...ng-issue/page-2

I will try to test the crank sensor

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

If the problems have worsened since disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU, then I would say the trouble is still likely to be with those connections.

I would try unplugging them again, spray with electrical cleaner ( I use brightspark which I think is from carplan?) and reseat them back into their sockets.

If it doesn't work but the symptoms change again, then repeat it until it improves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users