50 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

I can't find the thread, but I remember reading a while back about fitting a cheap-ish electric fan to a Mini which wouldn't of had one originally, i.e. a Mk1. Well my Mk1 is fine with everyday driving, but I was stuck in traffic yesterday and the temp started to creep up, so I am thinking of fitting one in the wing, with a switch to turn it on when the temp does creep up.

Is this too cheap?

https://www.ebay.co....I/201651881165?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

is it a new rebuild? has it ever been rebuilt?

it will work but i would look to issues first.

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:16 PM

brand new rebuilt engine, 750 miles on the clock. thermostat was dodgy, replaced that recently with one that I know works.

#4 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:27 PM

I asked a similar Q a few months back although my car is a 1990. Retro man pointed me to here for a cheap quality fan:

https://www.carbuild...ons.com/uk/fans

You would need to fabricate your own brackets and wiring as these are just the fan unit.

I actually decided to fit the kit from MiniSpares which whilst expensive did have custom brackets, wiring and water temp sensor (adjustable for 70c - 120c), which can be found here:

http://www.minispare.../C-ARA4401.aspx

Due to MkI rad surround it may be tight and also depends on how deep your rad is. The kit from MiniSpares went in with no issues on my later car.

#5 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I have an A+ engine and later fan and cowl. I was going to mount it in the wing and make some brackets. As much as I highly rate MiniSpares, £180 is a bit steep.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

brand new rebuilt engine, 750 miles on the clock. thermostat was dodgy, replaced that recently with one that I know works.

ok 750 miles is nothing it will be running a little hotter than normal. and maybe fit a thermostat that opens a t a lower temp and confirm what the actual temp it.

#7 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

Agreed, it is expensive, but fits neatly out of the way on the inner wing side of the rad and pulls air through the rad into the wheel arch. I'm not that great at fabricating parts myself as I've not got the space or equipment so dug deep into my pockets ?

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:59 PM

That one looks good and should work fine.

I have one on my Mk.1 Cooper 'S' and it is mounted onto the inner wing on the outside, i.e. under the wheel arch. It is very effective in traffic on hot days and just keeps the temp at a sensible level.

My recommendation is to have it manually switched and to fit a capillary-type gauge which gives an accurate temp reading in degrees, then you will know when to switch the fan on. I have a warning light next to the fan switch as well and I have it switched so that I can leave it on with the engine switched off and the key removed.

Make sure you fir it to 'suck' the air out of the engine bay and not blow it back in. Sorry if that's a bit of a basic thing to say, but I did see one which was intended for a front radiator Ford and it had been put on a Mini to work 'backwards'  ;D .

#9 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

Thank you. someone else did warn me of this, but the old engine did similar, so I just thought it would be a good insurance policy!

ok 750 miles is nothing it will be running a little hotter than normal. and maybe fit a thermostat that opens a t a lower temp and confirm what the actual temp it.

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for reminding me, good advice!

That one looks good and should work fine.

I have one on my Mk.1 Cooper 'S' and it is mounted onto the inner wing on the outside, i.e. under the wheel arch. It is very effective in traffic on hot days and just keeps the temp at a sensible level.

My recommendation is to have it manually switched and to fit a capillary-type gauge which gives an accurate temp reading in degrees, then you will know when to switch the fan on. I have a warning light next to the fan switch as well and I have it switched so that I can leave it on with the engine switched off and the key removed.

Make sure you fir it to 'suck' the air out of the engine bay and not blow it back in. Sorry if that's a bit of a basic thing to say, but I did see one which was intended for a front radiator Ford and it had been put on a Mini to work 'backwards'  ;D .

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

it has a 82 degree at the moment, maybe go to 74?

#12 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Having read through the posts did I miss any mention of the radiator being a new one or the original? I have a 2 core on my 1340 and that stays cool in traffic with the standard yellow multi blade fan. May be worth a look at the rad if its been on the vehicle any length of time

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

Brand new mini spares 2 core rad fitted when I fitted the refurbed engine, with standard yellow multiple blade fan, which is definitely fitted the right way round!

#14 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:39 PM

Just reading on minispares maybe I need an 88 degree thermostat for winter driving?

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

well the colder the weather the hotter the stat you need and that is the temp your gauge should show if it is not then the system has some issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users