#31 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Local Club: Classic Minis of Arizona

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Some photos of electric thermostat and relay controled fan on my MK1.

ClassicMinifanwiring001.jpg

Faninstalledandpluggedin.jpg

Relay%20location.jpg

#32 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hi Pat,

that is very helpful.  Please can you tell me which fan that is? Is it a kit, or did you buy all the parts separately, if so please could you point me in the right direction, Many thanks!

Some photos of electric thermostat and relay controled fan on my MK1.

ClassicMinifanwiring001.jpg

Faninstalledandpluggedin.jpg

Relay%20location.jpg

#33 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

The fan is a Spal, 10 inch puller.  Here is a place that handles this exact fan, unfortunately located in the Sates.   https://the-fan-man....ctric-fan-s435/

Pretty much bought everything seperate, although the fan does come with a weathertight connector.  Found the Kenlowe thermostat at a Mini sway meet.  This setup has been installed for almost 10 years and works adequated for the Arizona heat.  Am able to do the "double triple" run in the Summer.  100 miles when the temp is over 100°!

Edited by Azbornmini, 06 May 2019 - 04:06 PM.

#34 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

https://www.malpasai...lling/30100360A

this one?

#35 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

WHat brackets did you use to fix it to the inner wheel alrch?  I see you're using bolts, what do they screw into?

Cheers,

Paul

#36 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

Yes!

#37 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

WHat brackets did you use to fix it to the inner wheel alrch?  I see you're using bolts, what do they screw into?

Cheers,

Paul

I made the brackets as they 'clamp' through to the inner wing opening for the radiator.

006-5.jpg

005-1.jpg

Didn't want to cut into the inner wing, just in case I wanted to remove it later.

#38 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:55 AM

Cheers,

Paul

I made the brackets as they 'clamp' through to the inner wing opening for the radiator.

006-5.jpg

005-1.jpg

Didn't want to cut into the inner wing, just in case I wanted to remove it later.

Thank you.  I was toying with something similar.  I guess you've threaded the bracket, so not to need a nut on the rear side.

Paul

#39 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

Cheers,

Paul

006-5.jpg

005-1.jpg

Thank you.  I was toying with something similar.  I guess you've threaded the bracket, so not to need a nut on the rear side.

Paul

Good eye!  Yes, but when it was all mounted I decided to put some nylock nuts on also.   Just in case that the fan might come loose.  Just happen to have redone the radiator in the last few months and was happy to see that nothing has moved in almost 10 years.

#40 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

Hi Pat,

As you saw we have fan in the UK and the brackets look easyish to make up, thank you!

A couple of questions.

Which relay did you fit, earlier in the thread it was suggested to use a Bosch 450880030, but that doesn't come up on Google.

Someone else suggested a fused relay, but the link was in Australia, perhaps this will work?

https://www.electric...r=search&PPGR=0

​I have a found a few Thermostats, so that shouldn't be a problem, something like this

https://www.carbuild...ller-thermostat

The fan is a Spal, 10 inch puller.  Here is a place that handles this exact fan, unfortunately located in the Sates.   https://the-fan-man....ctric-fan-s435/

Pretty much bought everything seperate, although the fan does come with a weathertight connector.  Found the Kenlowe thermostat at a Mini sway meet.  This setup has been installed for almost 10 years and works adequated for the Arizona heat.  Am able to do the "double triple" run in the Summer.  100 miles when the temp is over 100°!

#41 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Hi Pat,

As you saw we have fan in the UK and the brackets look easyish to make up, thank you!

A couple of questions.

Which relay did you fit, earlier in the thread it was suggested to use a Bosch 450880030, but that doesn't come up on Google.

Someone else suggested a fused relay, but the link was in Australia, perhaps this will work?

https://www.electric...r=search&PPGR=0

​I have a found a few Thermostats, so that shouldn't be a problem, something like this

https://www.carbuild...ller-thermostat

Yes, that relay and thermostat should work fine.  Not sure where I sourced my relay, can't remember 10 years ago!  :lol:

#42 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Thanks again.

As I understand it, the set up that Azbornmini has is designed to suck hot air out of the engine bay is disperse it out under the wing into the outside.

I was just reading on Minispares kit and it says their fan is designed to "mount directly to the mini radiator to suck air in order to maximise efficiency and cooling"

So if the Minispares fan kit is meant to mount directly on to the rad, is it meant to be engine side and remove the plastic fan on the pulley? So my question in, which is best, sucking in cool air in like Minispares fan, or sucking hot air out?

Edited by beardylondon, 10 May 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#43 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

Both push and pull fans can be setup to work very well. Generally speaking the closer the fan is to the radiator the more efficient it will be.

You also want all air passing through the radiator, any air that leaks around the edges won’t help cooling

#44 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:08 AM

Thanks again.

As I understand it, the set up that Azbornmini has is designed to suck hot air out of the engine bay is disperse it out under the wing into the outside.

I was just reading on Minispares kit and it says their fan is designed to "mount directly to the mini radiator to suck air in order to maximise efficiency and cooling"

So if the Minispares fab kit is meant to mount directly on to the rad, is it meant to be engine side and remove the plastic fan on the pulley? So my question in, which is best, sucking in cool air in like Minispares fan, or sucking hot air out?

I believe the Minispares fan should also be mounted on the wing side of the radiator.  As i read the description it is also a puller type fan.  Of all the Minis I've been around that have aux electric fans the Spal fan seems to pull the most air, just by feeling above the tire.  Ideally, the best setup would be to fabricate a fan shroud on the wing side of the radiator to house your electric fan like the fan shroud on the engine side.  That seems like it would be the most efficient. In my situation, dealing with the desert temps is always a battle.  I have even removed my heater and run a heater hose from the heater valve on the cyl head to the thermostat housing.  My reasoning is that #1, I don't need a heater, #2 I want that hot coolant from the far end of the head sent back into the radiator to cool before it goes back into the motor, not through the heater matrix and into the motor by way of the return line.  For me it seems to work.  

Completely off subject by interesting non the less.  Recently when I replaced my alternator I decided to pull the radiator and have that cleaned.  It is an old Minispares four core model.  Well, the radiator shop that I took it to here in Arizona is part of the original company that did these radiators back in the 90's in the UK!  I only found out when I went to pick it up!  Serck Radiator.  The original plate on the left.

IMG_6430.jpg

#45 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 05:04 AM

I have the MiniSpares kit fitted to my car (1990 998). It has brackets that use the radiator cowling bolts to mount it directly to the wing side of the radiator and it sucks air through the radiator out into the wheel arch. The instructions that come with it instruct you to remove the mechanical fan and not reinstate, which I have done. Some who have the kit keep the mechanical fan and then set the therm switch that's mounted into the upper radiator hose to cut in at 95c for when sat in traffic on hot days. I have mine currently set to around 85c. I think I may refit the mechanical as others have done and set it up in the same way so it only cuts in when very hot. However, it's very quiet and very effective at cooling.

It works every

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users