#16 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:32 AM

https://www.ebay.co....VAAAOSwixlbYqKn

I have a set of these. fit in a standard plastic bowl with no mods really bright

i would have uploaded pics with the headlight on but they were too big in size. if you want to see the pm me your email and i will send them over

wow thanks for that, really nice of you and helped me out about the adapter rings ....will pm you etc....cheers

#17 Anchoright

Anchoright

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

I have a set of these. fit in a standard plastic bowl with no mods really bright

i would have uploaded pics with the headlight on but they were too big in size. if you want to see the pm me your email and i will send them over

I got these with the halos in green. I love them.

#18 knowell

knowell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

what did you tap the DRL wire to?

#19 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

what did you tap the DRL wire to?
Not got them yet, but I guess it would-be the side lights...

#20 wassupcrew

wassupcrew

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

Sorry haven't been on here for a while. Yes drl wire is sidelights.

#21 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:46 AM

There is no point in having DRL's connected to the side lights. "Daytime running lights" should be on in the "daytime", and technically, whenever the engine is running.

A DRL relay detects the 13+ volts from the alternator and turns on the DRL's and dims them when you turn on your headlights.

https://www.ebay.co....XUAAOSweF1duAMD

Although most people just connect it to the ignition switch as obviously the ignition is turned on whenever the engine is running,

#22 Sam Biscuits

Sam Biscuits

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:29 PM

Looking at getting these myself in the New Year. Where should the DRL's be connected to if side lights aren't the way to do it? If there anywhere easy and convenient once I've pulled my old lights out?

#23 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

Erm.... the answer to that is in the post above yours

#24 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

I use the orange halos as indicators, I swapped the original indicator bulbs for leds and wired them to a switched ignition live so they are always on as drls, and the white halos are the side lights. I want to get a drl relay as linked above, but haven’t got around to it yet lol (pic shows drls with side lights on)

Attached Files

Edited by monkey, 24 December 2019 - 03:06 PM.

#25 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

One of the problems regarding DRL regulations AFAIK, is that the IVA regs. differ from the vehicle construction and use regulations. This allows more freedom to car manufacturers to add bells and whistles to their latest models whilst IVA regs only get updated every few years or longer. My daily driver has DRL's that dim when the sidelights are turned on, whilst in the IVA regs it says DRL's must be turned off when the headlights are turned on, with no mention of side lights.

It could be argued that the IVA regs are more relevant to classic car modifications as these are the regulations that we would have to comply with in the event that the DVLA felt that an IVA test was required.

For anyone interested, the IVA regs can be found at https://assets.publi...er-vehicles.pdf

and section 22 deals with DRL's and sidelights.

I think if we stick to the obvious reasons for using DRL's then we shouldn't go far wrong.

1/ To give extra warning to other drivers and pedestrians in the daytime the DRL's must be very bright.

2/ At night time this extra bright light could cause dazzle to other drivers or even obscure your own cars indicators etc.
3/ Therefore, dimming the DRL's when the side lights are on and turning them off altogether when the headlights are on, would seem logical.

#26 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

When I fitted my dlrl to Vini I made sure that they came on with ignition and off when side lights got turned on, this did course some confusion with a "know it all" mot tester, who said he was going to have to fail Vini as my side lights kept going off when the headlights came on, I asked him to show me. I then pointed out the side lights in the headlight bowl and explained what the dlrls were, he then found another reason to fail it ‍♂

#27 Recogniseman

Recogniseman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:31 AM

When I fitted my dlrl to Vini I made sure that they came on with ignition and off when side lights got turned on, this did course some confusion with a "know it all" mot tester, who said he was going to have to fail Vini as my side lights kept going off when the headlights came on, I asked him to show me. I then pointed out the side lights in the headlight bowl and explained what the dlrls were, he then found another reason to fail it ‍♂

??

#28 Laska

Laska

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of fittings set of these LED lights. Two questions (1) what brands are U.K. MOT compliant and (2) any good recommendations? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

#29 Laska

Laska

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of fittings set of these LED lights. Two questions (1) what brands are U.K. MOT compliant and (2) any good recommendations? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

#30 Laska

Laska

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:38 PM

Hi guys,

Kind regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users