HIrantha

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Car Club

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

Hello everyone.

I have trouble seeing the gauges on my Mini as they are covered behind the steering wheel.

See photo.

I have always liked the Classic large centre speedo on the tray/shelf, with two smaller gauges on either side and I also think I will be able to see the gauges better. 

My Mini is a 1999 Cooper S. 

Do you think it is a good idea to change to the classic or should I keep the 1999 Cooper design?

If so, what can I do to see the gauges better?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you 

Hirantha

Attached Files

Edited by HIrantha, 01 September 2019 - 08:42 PM.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:31 PM

There is no photo showing.

I have always found the gauges behind the steering wheel impossible to see properly.  The centre speedo is much easier to see and in my opinion looks right in a Mini as that's what it was originally designed to have.

It's quite a lot of work and annoyingly when you remove the top padded dash rail you'll find holes in the dash rail panel behind but if you like the centre speedo then go for it.

#3 HIrantha

HIrantha

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

There is no photo showing.

I have always found the gauges behind the steering wheel impossible to see properly.  The centre speedo is much easier to see and in my opinion looks right in a Mini as that's what it was originally designed to have.

It's quite a lot of work and annoyingly when you remove the top padded dash rail you'll find holes in the dash rail panel behind but if you like the centre speedo then go for it.

Hi Thanks for this. I tried uploading the photo a second time but it hadn't worked.

Yes, I like the centre speedo and the shelf instead of the glove compartments. How will this look on a 1999 Cooper?  What do you think?

I copied the photo below from the internet. 

Attached Files

Edited by HIrantha, 01 September 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

Fit one of the new Smiths electronic speedos. That'll suit a late model Cooper.  https://www.digital-...peedometer-p327

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

Hi Hirantha
I don't know the set up of a 99 cooper s steering column but can you move the column up or down on the bracket on the lower dash rail like the earlier minis and see if that makes a difference. It's really easy to do.

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

I had an spi Cooper and found dropping the column on a lowering bracket only helped the view of the instruments marginally. 

The old style dash is far less claustrophobic too.

#7 HIrantha

HIrantha

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

Hi Hirantha
I don't know the set up of a 99 cooper s steering column but can you move the column up or down on the bracket on the lower dash rail like the earlier minis and see if that makes a difference. It's really easy to do.

I'll take a look at this. I am only 5'3" so the steering is a little bit ,,,,,,, in my face ......;)

#8 HIrantha

HIrantha

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

Fit one of the new Smiths electronic speedos. That'll suit a late model Cooper.  https://www.digital-...peedometer-p327

That looks really nice, even the magnolia dial.

But looks a bit complex in installing? or is it a straightforward swap?

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:38 PM

Converting To A Centre Speedo:-

http://www.theminifo...-centre-speedo/

CENTRE CLOCK WIRING HARNESS:-

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=34850

Edited by mab01uk, 01 September 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:47 PM

Hi Hirantha

I'll take a look at this. I am only 5'3" so the steering is a little bit ,,,,,,, in my face ......;)

Wood & Pickett used to do a special column drop bracket for the SRS/airbag steering wheel/column on the later MPi Mini but not sure it is still available.....

#11 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

Hi Hirantha

Wood & Pickett used to do a special column drop bracket for the SRS/airbag steering wheel/column on the later MPi Mini but not sure it is still available.....

I've bought one in the last 12 months, enables a clear view of the standard MPi clocks.

#12 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

https://www.ebay.co....F0AAOSwnHZYjZCA

This heavy duty drop bracket gives you more drop and holds the column more rigid than the usual drop brackets. I have one fitted and they are very well made.

I'm all in favour of tasteful customisation, but I suspect removing the whole dash from a 1999 Copper S may hurt the resale value somewhat.

#13 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

https://www.ebay.co....F0AAOSwnHZYjZCA

This heavy duty drop bracket gives you more drop and holds the column more rigid than the usual drop brackets. I have one fitted and they are very well made.

I'm all in favour of tasteful customisation, but I suspect removing the whole dash from a 1999 Copper S may hurt the resale value somewhat.

Are you sure that bracket will fit an MPi with airbag? This is the one I bought from Wood & Pickett:

pdt3HgL.jpg

#14 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

If you do remove the original dash to fit a centre speedo then keep everything.  The parts can be passed on with the car if you sell it or you could convert it back yourself prior to sale.

#15 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

That doesn't look like the original dash anyway. The genuine ones don't have a separate panel in the middle. The magnolia dials will be original though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users