90 replies to this topic

#46 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 09:34 AM

I’m going to focus on the driver side as an experiment. Starting from the rear, I need a heel board repair section, I also will need the M machine panel that incorporates the floor to the first flute, inner and outer sill. The door step needs replacing along with the lower section of the A post. So today I will clean everything up and see if there’s anything else on the driver side that’s hiding and then make my decision and go from there. It’s a lot of work for a first timer and I’ve just got to consider all my options.

#47 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

In my mind there are two options either repair it or don't.Repair is essentially straightforward with no complex sections and excellent parts availability.Most of all you must ENJOY it.Steve..

#48 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

its possible ! my advice read as much as you can on here from other projects that's helped me a lot and acted as a great guide in order to do things.

#49 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

I’ve had a couple of days to think it all through and decided I am going to carry on and save it. I’m going to push my self imposed deadline back and just crack on as and when and it’ll be done when it’s done.
I think I would have kicked myself later down the line if I’d have given up. Thanks for the words of wisdom guys, there’ll be plenty of reading on here to plan my way forward but we’ll get there.

#50 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

Great stuff

#51 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

While you're repairing the body do some re-furbs on small parts that you can easily achieve a good result - success with those should help you stay positive about the project!

#52 73GT

73GT

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

I’m going to focus on the driver side as an experiment. Starting from the rear, I need a heel board repair section, I also will need the M machine panel that incorporates the floor to the first flute, inner and outer sill. The door step needs replacing along with the lower section of the A post. So today I will clean everything up and see if there’s anything else on the driver side that’s hiding and then make my decision and go from there. It’s a lot of work for a first timer and I’ve just got to consider all my options.

Great that you are continuing. Once you get the first sill section repair done there will be a sense of achievement that you are learning the necessary skills.

#53 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

I’ve ordered a rotating jig which will hopefully be here in the week. In the mean time I’ve been cleaning up and exploring the floor to see where the rust stops. I’ve also cut out the companion bins. Since they won’t be going back in because there’ll be a roll cage there I didn’t bother going with the nicey nicey approach so just cut them out. Obviously it’ll all be tidied up when the repairs are being done.

I was happy enough with the floor underneath the sound deadening. It seems to be literally the outer parts of the car that have had it, probably not helped by some iffy repairs. Note, the big plate at the front which is fine but then there’s another hole in the middle of the inner sill which was plastered with filler... why bother patching the front one of your just going to cover the rest in filler. I dunno, at least now I know what panels floor wise I need to order and can start putting this massive jig saw back together.

Attached Files

#54 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

Couple of hours spent finding and drilling out spot welds this afternoon. My drill bit eventually snapped so had to go back to the grinder. New drill bits should be here in the next day or so but I’m making progress on this corner. It’s not pretty at all but it’ll get there.
I’m no expert by any means and I’m learning as I go but Jesus, now many layers are there here? It’s like a a Big Mac... plate apon plate and some filler for good measure.

Attached Files

#55 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:56 PM

Finally finished hacking all the sound deadening off the floor. Very pleased to see a very solid floor.

Going forward, the plan will be to get some M-machine inner and outer sill to the first flute and also get the little footwell panels for driver and passenger side and that should leave me with a perfect floor. I can work outwards then to the door steps and door strengthening panels. Once this is done I can work on the front with the flitch panels and inner wings and repair the bulk head where it’s needed and then the rear.

Attached Files

#56 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:26 AM

keep going with it mate all looks good so far

#57 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:55 PM

Decided to take the scuttle panel off today. It revealed the bulkhead not being attached to anything in the drivers top corner as the lip has rotten away where it meets the top dash rail. So, initial thoughts are new upper and lower dash rails, bulkhead, inner wings.... basically everything new from the bulkhead forward.

Attached Files

#58 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

if you fit the mpi bulkhead panel its cheaper and still fits  £350 ish as opposed to near £500 got mine from bulmotiff spares excellent service and quick delivery[free]

Edited by Wreckitralph1, 25 May 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#59 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

if you fit the mpi bulkhead panel its cheaper and still fits  £350 ish as opposed to near £500 got mine from bulmotiff spares excellent service and quick delivery[free]

I was wondering if it would be the same. The only difference I can see is the centre hole but that won’t be a problem for the loom going through. Any extra holes can just be welded up too. Thanks for the top tip.

#60 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:15 AM

here you go mate

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users