90 replies to this topic

#76 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

Don't you just love it when you get big boxes of panels delivered. I have everything here now to get cracking on the passenger side so hopefully I can get in the garage this week and get cracking.

Attached Files

#77 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Managed to get an hour in the garage to have a little sort out. Also managed to get the new panels roughly lined up to see where I need to cut. Hopefully get going over the weekend.

Attached Files

#78 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Nearly finished cutting out the old rotten sills and door step. Plenty of little things need a repair before I can fit the new panels but we’re getting there.

Attached Files

#79 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:01 PM

It’s taken a while but it’s nearly ready to have the passenger side panels welded in. Still bits to tidy up as the passenger side was in an awful state, 3 plate patches welded on top of each other in some places... we’ll get there though.

Attached Files

#80 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

Finally got the floor piece, inner & outer sill fitted. Still bits to tidy up but it’s in and that’s the floor pretty much sorted. Door step to fit next, heel board repair panel, arches and then the quarter panel.

Attached Files

#81 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:01 PM

Attached File  mini 1.jpg   85.83K   1 downloads

Got the rear quarter on today. Lots of faffing about as it it just wouldn't sit properly but we got there in the end. Still plenty to tidy up and finish off before I can move onto the boot floor. The main issue I need to over come is that this has been de-seamed previously so trying to tie everything in is a bit of a challenge but I have a plan, which mean more fabricating but I'll get it done.

I also tried the door on for the first time since putting the new floor section, sill and door step in. I was very pleased with how it fitted so hopefully the driver side will fit the same haha.

#82 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:15 PM

Quite a project you've taken on - especially with limited space! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

#83 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Thought I would try the driver door since the passenger door fitted tidy. Well happy to report that the driver door also fits like a glove too. 

I've spent a couple of hours today just cleaning up the boot floor in preparation to repair it and cleaned up the rear panel around the window and the parcel shelf. I've got a little repair to do on the rear passenger wheel arch which will tie in with the boot repair. I've got the driver side rear wheel arch to repair and a few small repairs on the rear panel and then I'll be ready to spin it back over and protect and paint the underneath. Once that is done, it can come off the spit onto some stands and I can get cracking on the front end.

Attached Files

#84 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:58 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates recently.. some other commitments have been getting in the way.
I have started on the boot floor and will get back to the little car soon enough now and hopefully get cracking over the next few months then.

#85 Bees1957

Bees1957

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:22 PM

Mines about as bad!

#86 Bees1957

Bees1957

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2021 - 08:27 PM

Thought i may get some plates welded front and rear of the sills to strengthen the jacking points, I’m going to rally mine to.

#87 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 07:13 AM

Quick update, I lost last summer and into autumn due to our little one being in hospital. Thankfully she's fine now.
I then got distracted by my other rally car as I foolishly entered a local rally.
The other project has now been sold so I've been back on the mini. Boot floor is done, I've been finishing off some repairs inside and I'm nearly ready to start getting some new panels for the front.
I'll upload some photos when I get a chance.

#88 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 11:32 PM

I've been having some issues uploading photos recently but I'll try and sort it soon now.
Slight set back from the engineering place where the engine block is. Crank is good, it's been cleaned up and is really good.
The 1275 block had liners, now from what I gather the block has never been overbored previously but it appears some MG Metro blocks came with liners from factory due to some blocks having issues being porus, it appears my block is one of these.
So my plan to go 1330 is off at the moment unless I find another block which of course means more money.
So the new plan is to rebuild it in standard size and carry out some headwork and a decent cam and carb
. Hopefully this will give some decent performance and get the car back on the road.

#89 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

I've been having some issues uploading photos recently but I'll try and sort it soon now.
Slight set back from the engineering place where the engine block is. Crank is good, it's been cleaned up and is really good.
The 1275 block had liners, now from what I gather the block has never been overbored previously but it appears some MG Metro blocks came with liners from factory due to some blocks having issues being porus, it appears my block is one of these.
So my plan to go 1330 is off at the moment unless I find another block which of course means more money.
So the new plan is to rebuild it in standard size and carry out some headwork and a decent cam and carb
. Hopefully this will give some decent performance and get the car back on the road.

I had this issue with a Metro block - I changed mine for one without liners so it could be bored.

#90 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:52 PM

Think I've finally sorted the photo issue so I will get this updated properly by the weekend.
I've also managed to pick up a 6 point safety devices roll cage so slowly, bits are coming together.

I've not got the budget to source another block at the moment so I think the first evolution of the car will be ayhe standard 1275cc with a little fettling.
Anyway, pics to follow shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users