90 replies to this topic

#61 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:10 PM

After a slight delay with spit coming, I finally managed to get some time to get some wheels on it and get it onto the car. Now the fun can properly start.

Attached Files

#62 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

Spent a little time cleaning underneath today. The floor is good apart from the sides which are being replaced, so no issues there.

What I initially though was a decent boot floor has turned into a not so decent boot floor. I think it’s repairable but it’ll probably be easier to cut it out and put a new one in, so that’s another job to add to the list.

Attached Files

#63 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

Using a complete new boot floor will cut down on the amount of welding needed - and you have plenty of other areas to practice on! I imagine it would be easier for a first shell repair to use the biggest panels you can afford. Keep up the good work! 

#64 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:47 PM

I’m thinking that’s going to be the plan and as you say, the easier option. Plenty more cleaning to do so we’ll see what else I find.

#65 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

Been getting on with things lately when I get an hour or 2 in the garage. I’ve cut out the doorstep and the rough shape where the floor, inner and outer sill will go. I should have ordered a heel board repair panel too as I need that before I can tac the new panels into place so I know everything fits as it should.

Attached Files

#66 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:36 PM

Today was a day for firsts. I welded in the first new panel, the first of many. Spent about an hour and a half making sure the repair panel was going in exactly the right spot. Being a magnum, it needed a little fettle but nothing too drastic. Needs a tidy up around it but it’s in, it’s nice and solid and I can move forward now with the inner sill, floor piece and the stiffener plate and closing panel.

Attached Files

#67 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

Made a start at putting in the new floor section with inner and outer sill sill. Fab piece of kit from M-machine these panels are. Seems to be going well so far. Once that’s in fully, I’ve got a small patch to do, fabricate a stiffner plate for the inner sill and then replace the drivers footwell. Drivers side floor will be done then and it’ll be onto the passenger side.

Attached Files

#68 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

Today I managed to finish off the bulk of the welding on the new floor piece & sills. It’s not the prettiest but it’s the first serious bit of welding I’ve done, but it’s solid and there’s no more rot. I also put in a new driver footwell too so we’re coming along nicely.

Attached Files

#69 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Finished putting in the door stiffner panel today and threw on a bit of red on the inner sill before the door step panel goes on. Few bits to tidy up but the driver side Floor area is nearly done.

Attached Files

#70 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

Coming along nicely,Keep it up.Steve..

#71 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

Managed to get the door step/lower quarter repair panel on today. This is the last of the big panels for the driver side floor so it’s a bit of a milestone. Few little things to tidy up but nearly ready to start on the other side.

Attached Files

#72 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:08 PM

Poor mini hasn’t had much attention the last few weeks. I acquired another little project to build to be able to compete on road rallies and targa rallies next year (covid permitting). I won’t bore you with pics as it’s Just a Citroen C2 vts.
Good news is that the build will be finished in a matter of weeks so it’ll be back to the mini over the winter months and see how I get on.

#73 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

keep us posted of the progress!

#74 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 09:15 AM

The C2 took a little longer to finish than planned but it’s done and been tucked away for the winter which means focus is back to the Mini.
I’ve done a little tidying up of some work that I’ve done already so I’m pretty much ready to start on the passenger side. With it now being Christmas and New Year, panels won’t be ordered until January but I shall
Kick start from there.

Merry Christmas everyone.

#75 Arwel1986

Arwel1986

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

The driver side is pretty much done now other than a few little bits and bobs to tidy up. Next is to sort the passenger side which is pretty much the same job as the driver side but the complete rear quarter is going to be replaced to yet another learning curve for me.
Panels are on order and will hopefully be here next week.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users