#1 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Hiya 

Just left the garage with a new brake cyclinder , and rear wheel brake cyclinders replaced, however and struggled to drive out the garage. It was fine before taking it in .

I asked the mechanic before I left but he didnt take anything on board.

I don't think its the clutch because I can select gears when the engine is off. 

Suppose the gearbox needs some tuning and maybe a mechanic has knocked it out with some recent work? 

I promise I'm getting better at basic mechanics! 

Phil

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

It is likely to be the clutch dragging if it's better with the engine  stopped. If it is you should find a similar problem with reverse.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Depending on the type of clutch, it might just need adjusting.

#4 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:17 PM

Thanks all , I think its the clutch need adjusting
Ta

#5 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:54 PM

Clutch master or slave cylinder possibly on their way out?

How far is the push rod moving out of the slave cylinder when clutch pedal is being depressed

#6 Arthy

Arthy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

Will most likely need adjusting like you said! 

You might also want to bleed your clutch again, as for some reason I had to bleed mine again after replacing the release bearing

#7 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

Thanks.for all your feedback .. I think the clutch needs adjusting . I've watched a few videos online and going to give it a bash. After going into a garage for new brake cylinders, I couldn't even get it out the garage, it was fine going in ! Thanks all

#8 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

Thanks.for all your feedback .. I think the clutch needs adjusting . I've watched a few videos online and going to give it a bash. After going into a garage for new brake cylinders, I couldn't even get it out the garage, it was fine going in ! Thanks all

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

I have posted on here a 'Clutch Drag Fault Finder'. If you do a search you will find it. It will enable you to go through the entire clutch operating system and find the problem.

#10 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

That's so helpful

#11 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the above help. In the end it was as simple as have my clutch pressure bled and the clutch liquid topped. 

Got a friendly local garage to do it for me who knows alot about mini.

However, very next day, got totally stuck, at rush hour at a busy junction, so had to push my mini a few streets away and left. Currently cant move it or get it into gear..

So , then plan is, it probably needs a few pumps out to get the clutch working. I'll need to get my car back home and try and do it myself with a friend.

Anyone recommend what I would need to do this? - brake fluid , an 11mm spanner , I've seen various contraptions for bleeding brakes. Anyone bought one recently that work well I can buy online? 

Going to butch and do it myself! 

Thanks

Phil

Edited by Zippster1977, 04 March 2020 - 12:17 PM.

#12 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:32 PM

The way I've always done it is to have a length of tube that snugly fits over the bleed nipple (worth while putting some red rubber grease or vaseline around the threads to prevent air being sucked in) with the other end going into a clean container with a level of brake fluid in it enough to cover the end of the tube. Then crack the bleed nipple very slightly and pump the pedal up and down with an assistant on hand to keep the level topped up in the master cylinder. Once you've flushed the system through completely with new fluid hold the pedal down and tighten the bleed nipple. It's never failed me yet.

#13 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:16 PM

Sounds a lot like either your clutch master or slave cylinder has failed (my money is on the slave, as they usually fail first). If so its quite likely you will bleed it out and it will work again temporarily but likely fail again soon as yours has it seems. 

Replacing the cylinder isn't too tricky, the brake booster on later cars does get in the way unfortunately. But with a friend once you have the slave fitted, fill the master cylinder reservoir, get your friend to push the clutch down, once hes down and shouts down you can open the bleed nipple (have a pipe on it going into a jar), the pressure will come out and then stop, once you close the nipple shout closed and your friend can lift his foot and then push down again, cycle repeats until you get no air coming out with the fluid. 

#14 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

Cheers Alex / Panky - appreciate your feedback and time

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Cheers Alex / Panky - appreciate your feedback and time

It's from experience, i'm yet to own a mini and not have the slave fail on me!  ;D Usually they don't get the fluid flushed regularly and since it's hydrophobic and takes on water it will rust out the slave cylinder and cause the seals to fail. Also check around the pedal box, if you find fluid there inside the car the master cylinder could be the culprit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users