30 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:32 AM

I'm running my recently rebuilt engine on E5 and am trying to decide what petrol to use long term before rolling road tuning.

I was going to carry on with E5 as it's widely available.  However if it is replaced by E10 I'm not so sure I want to use that.  E5 may be sold alongside initially but will surely be phased out in a few years and on small forecourts such as the one near me will probably disappear straight away. 

I would rather use Super in many ways with it being 0% ethanol and higher octane as the higher octane would allow a more optimised ignition advance to be used.  It is more hassle to get but more importantly will it be available in the future or will it be phased out soon as well leaving me with E10 as the only choice anyway.

#2 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

My understanding of the latest guidelines on this is that E10 will replace our normal "cooking" unleaded, but super unleaded will continue to be E5.  The government have committed to ensure that E5 remains available due to the number of cars still on the road that can't use E10.

https://www.gov.uk/g...cing-e10-petrol

Edited by humph, 17 March 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:01 PM

Purely speculation but I'd bet on E5 in the long run. When most are electric, cars that need E5 are more likely to be the petrol burners that survive and if supply & demand limits choice it'll be better to switch from E10 to E5 than the other way round.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

For a low mileage classic car one option is AVGAS 100LL aviation petrol. Not cheap, but it is 'real' petrol. I used to use it in my Cooper S which has 11:1 CR.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

I would rather use Super in many ways with it being 0% ethanol

Shell V-Power is already E5 .. and 99 octane.

#6 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

For now, Esso Super is Ethanol free. BP ultimate is supposedly Ethanol free, but they won't confirm that due the liklihood of cross-contamination with their other petrols. 

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

For a low mileage classic car one option is AVGAS 100LL aviation petrol. Not cheap, but it is 'real' petrol. I used to use it in my Cooper S which has 11:1 CR.

AVGAS 100LL is almost a "Chemical".

It is not the same fuel that replaced the stuff in Spitfires during the war, nor the stuff that Stratocruisers used to cross the Atlantic.

It is an equivelent distillate that atomises reasonably well, but does not easily vaporise.

If a pilot were to get a vapor-lock in the fuel system over the ocean, a handy thing to be wearing, would be a nappy.

#8 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:07 PM

Taken from Esso's website, today:
"The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland."

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

Taken from Esso's website, today:
"The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland."

"Not a lotta people know that"

#10 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

The implications of using Avgas in a road vehicle are the same as running red diesel instead of DERV.

Chilling reading: https://www.gov.uk/g...-a-road-vehicle

"What will happen if you misuse rebated fuel:

Where we find your road vehicle is fuelled with rebated oil, we’ll seize it. We may also issue an assessment of fuel duty payable and a wrongdoing penalty based on the extent of your illegal fuel use.

In the more serious cases involving assault, repeated offending or dishonesty, criminal action may be taken. The offender can be fined an unlimited amount or imprisoned for up to 7 years, or both."

#11 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:14 PM

The implications of using Avgas in a road vehicle are the same as running red diesel instead of DERV.

"What will happen if you misuse rebated fuel:

Where we find your road vehicle is fuelled with rebated oil, we’ll seize it. We may also issue an assessment of fuel duty payable and a wrongdoing penalty based on the extent of your illegal fuel use.

In the more serious cases involving assault, repeated offending or dishonesty, criminal action may be taken. The offender can be fined an unlimited amount or imprisoned for up to 7 years, or both."

They've gotta catch you first. Correction, they've got to be bothered to look/care or even think about it. And then catch you. 

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 03:16 PM

No excuse not to "Read, Mark, Learn ,and Inwardly Digest" all that while you are 'self isolated'

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the responses!  Interesting that some Super has ethanol and some doesn't.  Much as I like the availability of whatever the current standard unleaded is I think it may be time to enjoy Super unleaded while it's still available.  I'll have to see where I can get it round here - it's certainly not for sale at our local Jet.  Might as well make the most of the engine and not have to worry about E10 in the fuel system. 

#14 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:32 PM

Well I can't get it from the local Jet garage which is a shame but Tesco have it nearby and BP and Shell aren't too far away so that's not too bad.  Should get some good performance and fuel economy with that stuff.

#15 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

I'll have to see where I can get it round here - it's certainly not for sale at our local Jet.

This might help:

https://www.esso.co.uk/stations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users