#1 tomjeep21

tomjeep21

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

Hello All,

I'm new to the mini world new and to the car building scene and decided it was a good idea to do a vtec awd mini.  I'm looking at the brake system and I have a question about the brake master cylinder.  I'm using mx5 rear brakes (calipers and discs) and in the front I'm converting to a 4 pot caliper with a 8.4" rotor.  I wasn't sure if the original mini's master cylinder is up to the task with the larger brakes.  The system is going to be manual brakes, no booster.  I've been looking around and can't seem to find a company that offers a vertical master cylinder the only offer horizontal master cylinders  I've read that you can't just take a horizontal master cylinder and mount it vertically because you will have a hard time bleeding the system. 

So my question is

a) is the original master cylinder up to the task and if not 

b) what master cylinder would be the best option for my set up.

c) likewise the clutch master cylinder would be vertically mounted and I'm looking at the same issues as the brakes, what options do I have.

A little about the car, it's a 1979 Austin mini Canadian addition.  Left hand drive.  I'm doing a b18 swap with a b16 head with a crv trans/transfer case and rear diff using a 1.6 mx5 rear knuckles/brakes

Cheers

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

Why not go for the Honda Crv rear brakes? Would be easier to get an option for your car.

#3 tomjeep21

tomjeep21

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

I bought a tubular front/rear subframe and they designed it to use the crv diff but mx5 knuckles and they provided a custom axle to make a hybrid axle to connect the crv diff to the mx5 knuckle 

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

You will probably need to work out the piston areas front/rear and source a suitably sized dual master cylinder to get safe pedal travel and brake bias.Pedal leverage ratio is important.Much research needed,just copying someone else's system may not be safe.Good luck,Steve..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users