#16 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:26 PM

Makes little difference.

the mini had a tap. You want hot air open it and hot water flowed into the heater.

the metro had continuous flow of hot water but had flaps in the heater unit to bypass the air flow from the heater for cool air.

the MPi was slightly different in that it was like the mini in that you had to open a tap to let the hot water into the heater but when the tap was closed the water continued to flow but directly into the bottom hose.

Oh yup awesome. So ill just use an always open bypass so its always flowing. then just open the heater valve when needed.  the heater comes with a T branch so that should work. 

what do you think of the heater from Aliexpress below. It will be hidden away so you wont see it. i will have 4 front vents and 2 demister fronts similar to the david brown remastered mini interior. Do you think this will provide enough airflow? 

Ill be connecting motorised dampers to each heater outlet port which will enable me to switch between either front vent or demister functions.

NEW Type DC12-24V 6 Ports Car Truck Heater Plumbing Defroster Mist Eliminator Double Compact Heater W/ Speed Switch 

Feature:
1,Fitting required - 5/8'' (16mm) inner diameter water hose (not included).
2,Very easy to install , only need to hook this heater up to water tank and supply power , then works!
3,Apply this to your own custom duct work.
4,Temperature of heating depends on your vehicle water temperature .

Specification:
Voltage: 12V
Color: Red
Material: Copper, Iron
Dimensions:
length - 22cm/8.7'' body only
Width - 16.5cm/6.5" body only
Height - 8cm/3.1"
Fitting required - 5/8'' (16mm) inner diameter water hose (not included)
Instructions:
1. The red wire connect to the cathode of power supply and motor
2. The Blue wire connect to the anode of motor
3.The black connect to the anode of power supply.

Package Included:
1 x Heater
1 x Switch
2 x Mounting brackets
2 x Tee fittings
2 x Straight fittings
8 x 16-25cm hose Clamps

H63fa745f64a24581b894027900cc5143b.jpg

H234c5b8d9b9348c0868810138700cea1D.jpg

H92230d93acb84b4ba9b97f0595a69042V.jpg
H5f78b95840574e6d94eed9ed14ef4c70C.jpg
H4a0cae24728b4e60ad803fe84a38d8f5P.jpg

Edited by mvahora, 20 May 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#17 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

Where does it suck the fresh air from?You will have to fabricate some form of plenum and feed.Steve..

#18 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:57 PM

Where does it suck the fresh air from?You will have to fabricate some form of plenum and feed.Steve..

I have thought about this and decided not to do fresh air. As i am in NZ only need the heater in winter time for about 2 or 3 months. i dont think i will ever need fresh air. If  the heater valve is closed the heater unit will just re-blow cabin air. Also During the summer if i need to i can just open the windows slightly for fresh air. With the mini being so tiny the cabin would fill very rapidly with fresh air and the heater unit would end up blowing that anyway. 

are there any other reasons why i would need fresh air? 

thank for bringing this up

Edited by mvahora, 21 May 2020 - 01:14 AM.

#19 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

Recirculating heaters are useless.In winter they recirculate the damp air fogging up all the windows.Even Austin/Leyland worked this out and supplied fresh air heaters on later cars.My modern car advises to move the heater from recirculating to fresh air as soon as possible.Do it now whilst it is easy?,you will not regret it.Steve..

#20 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:51 AM

Can I suggest you have a closer look at the heater you're considering?

The reason I suggest this is it only has 2 x Computer type fans. None of these I've ever seen pass anywhere near enough Air to be effective for a demister.

I have thought about this and decided not to do fresh air. As i am in NZ only need the heater in winter time for about 2 or 3 months. i dont think i will ever need fresh air. If  the heater valve is closed the heater unit will just re-blow cabin air. Also During the summer if i need to i can just open the windows slightly for fresh air. With the mini being so tiny the cabin would fill very rapidly with fresh air and the heater unit would end up blowing that anyway. 

As soncar has also suggested, without fresh Air coming in, all you'll be kinda doing is making a Sauna inside your Mini.

#21 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

Recirculating heaters are useless.In winter they recirculate the damp air fogging up all the windows.Even Austin/Leyland worked this out and supplied fresh air heaters on later cars.My modern car advises to move the heater from recirculating to fresh air as soon as possible.Do it now whilst it is easy?,you will not regret it.Steve..

oh bugger i didnt really think of this. Thats why i love this forum  and why we have mini forums. Looks like i need to now somehow sort a fresh air supply. 

Do you know how the fresh air intake was routed on the older minis? to get the fresh air into the heater?

#22 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

Can I suggest you have a closer look at the heater you're considering?

The reason I suggest this is it only has 2 x Computer type fans. None of these I've ever seen pass anywhere near enough Air to be effective for a demister.

As soncar has also suggested, without fresh Air coming in, all you'll be kinda doing is making a Sauna inside your Mini.

I did have that question in mind but the sellers on aliexpress dont want to give me that info. Ive asked them how much CFM it blows  but received no response. 

How much CFM of air would i require for the 4 vents and the 2 demisters. ducting will be about 40mm at this stage.

Any alternative ideas where i can get a good cheap heater? is it possible to use a heater from modern wrecked cars?

or should i consider manufacturing my own heater core?

#23 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

In England kit cars are required to have demisting if a windscreen is fitted.Fitment is checked but efficiency does not enter into it.I thought of improving the woeful heater of my MGB with one of the multitude of these types,none had provision for fresh air and few substantiated claims of efficiency.They are "SVA" compliant is the mantra.Choose carefully.Steve..

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

On a low speed, you want to move around 100 to 120 m3/h

On a higher speed, around 250 - 350 m3/h

Just on a look now, the best 12 Volt computer fan I could find will do 90 m3/h.

The other thing you'll find with computer type fans is as soon as you put things in their flow path, like ducting and vents, they drop their bundle pretty quick.

You can have a look here for heaters;-

https://www.carbuild...grid&orderBy=15

#25 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

In England kit cars are required to have demisting if a windscreen is fitted.Fitment is checked but efficiency does not enter into it.I thought of improving the woeful heater of my MGB with one of the multitude of these types,none had provision for fresh air and few substantiated claims of efficiency.They are "SVA" compliant is the mantra.Choose carefully.Steve..

Thanks, yes your right. Im now thinking of maybe pulling one out from the wreckers. can source one for about $52 which makes it even more efficient. Just need to make sure itll be compatible in terms of the electrical connections and the actual size of the unit. 

Edited by mvahora, 22 May 2020 - 10:45 AM.

#26 mvahora

mvahora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:47 AM

On a low speed, you want to move around 100 to 120 m3/h

On a higher speed, around 250 - 350 m3/h

Just on a look now, the best 12 Volt computer fan I could find will do 90 m3/h.

The other thing you'll find with computer type fans is as soon as you put things in their flow path, like ducting and vents, they drop their bundle pretty quick.

You can have a look here for heaters;-

https://www.carbuild...grid&orderBy=15

really helpful. Ya i think ill now change to something that has the blower type fans. Im considering ripping a heater unit out from the wreckers and installing it instead. will be cheaper as well. 

will just need to make sure its all compatible and will work with the design/plan i have in mind. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users