15 replies to this topic

#1 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

Hi All, i recently fitted LED headlamps which are superb BUT they make my spots look very tired and yellow so looking to upgrade, that and my grille is awful.

Has anyone got any recommendations, it's a 94 spi, for the spots i want something that looks really sharp....

#2 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

If your spots use H3 bulbs you can now buy LED replacements. I bought them from ClassicCar LEDs, White LED H3 453 P22S 10 CREE CHIPS 30W Plus Lens 12v Fog Light DRL Bulb...

#3 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:55 AM

If your spots use H3 bulbs you can now buy LED replacements. I bought them from ClassicCar LEDs, White LED H3 453 P22S 10 CREE CHIPS 30W Plus Lens 12v Fog Light DRL Bulb...

just ordered some thanks roger...

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

If this is the problem with your grille, it's not tough to fix.

http://www.theminifo...61#entry3652138

#5 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the overall brightness once everything is all installed.

#6 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

If this is the problem with your grille, it's not tough to fix.

http://www.theminifo...61#entry3652138

its way worse someone's gone at the chrome with a wire brush...

#7 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:42 PM

I know this was over a year ago, but on the subject of spots, anyone got any tips for keeping water out?

Unlike the rear lights, there doesn't seem to be a gasket available as a part

#8 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:18 PM

I am still interested in hearing some results! I installed a pair of really nice LED replacement bulbs for my headlight (4300k color) and they make my factory fogs look VERY dated. There isnt a lot of room in the stock fogs so its great to know these would fit but wondering how they perform and look.

#9 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

Yep. I have ClassicCarLEDs’ H3 LED bulbs in my dogs/driving lights and they very good. I was running OSRAM Nightbreakers before and I would say the LEDs are brighter than standard H3s but maybe not quite as bright as the Nighbreakers.

But my fog and driving light wiring no longer heats up when they’re switched on so thats good news.

The LEDs are white light, I don’t think there’s a “yellow” LED version yet, so might be what you’re after

Edited by Pops_Guild, 20 July 2021 - 09:46 PM.

#10 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

They sell both 6000k and 3000k. Do you know you which you have. 

#11 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

I just checked and I have the 3000k (warm white) ones. I did have the 6000k versions before this and took a photo to show the difference and a photo of how they look (warm light) in daylight.

Attached Files

#12 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

So is the warm LED on the left and the bright white LED on the right in the first picture? Picture on the right is of the front with 2 warm white LEDs installed? 

The LED bulbs I have in the headlights currently have a nice crisp color, that leans towards the cooler side. I doubt I'll ever find a set of H3s that, A: fit the Rover spots. B: match my new headlight bulbs. Probably should just lean warmer and look forward to less draw and heat:-)

#13 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:44 PM

Yes and yes. But in both pictures the headlamps are using the ClassicCarLEDs H4 warm LED replacement bulbs too.

So, I would say the warm H3 LEDs match the warm H4 LEDs pretty well.

…I have gone back to Halogen H4s (Nightbreakers) now though because the LEDs were an MOT failure…shame really the H4 LEDs were great.

#14 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:41 PM

Being from the US please forgive my ignorance on the MOT process. If you have something on the car that won't pass, could you just swap them out for the test and then swap them back after? Is there more to it all?

#15 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:19 PM

You could so a swap but that doesn't really let you off the hook. The MOT is a road worthiness thing. Its your responsibility to keep it that way throughout the year rather than ignore it until the next test. If you pass it and then the police where to stop and find an issue with road worthiness at a later point then there could be consequences. It also risks your insurance cover as all cars on the road have to be road worthy. If you were to have a prang, claim on your insurance and they found things on the car which weren't MOT compliant then they may not pay out, they're not fair like that.

I'm sure some folks will do changes to get through an MOT and swap back later...not a game I want to play though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users