#31 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

Thanks
Is he still using the same driveline setup as the yellow one, reversed R1, chain, modded mini diff?

Cheers
David

#32 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

From what ive been told yeh, the only reall difference will be the removable front end, roll cage welded onto the struts will minimal inner wings. He was looking at running his own inboard suspension but that might come later on

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

z cars will do one for you :withstupid:

I very much doubt they would, ask them to do a front engined Vtec and they won't do it.

#34 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

will someone hurry up and release a kit to buy god dammit........... :P

You cant rush perfection lol, my mate Darren might sell his yellow mini once his new car is finished and touch wood start selling his kits. The trouble Darren has he builds a lot of grass track cars so most of his time is spent on these, I will try and kick his ass for you peeps so he can get his kits done and sold :withstupid:

yeah he is chatting to my mate lee, i just hate all the waiting and not knowing :withstupid:

z cars will do one for you :-

I very much doubt they would, ask them to do a front engined Vtec and they won't do it.

and yeah they wont we asked. said no one would be interested in it :- how wrong hey

Edited by t@z, 09 November 2006 - 04:06 PM.

#35 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

Anyone know of any cheap chain suppliers? Do not need the whole motorbike chain as the front and rear sprocket are fairly close to each other in my subframe.

Thanks for the info!

#36 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

Taz, yeh Ive emailed/pm'd Lee a few times. Between the few of them I think Darren is going to build him a kit for him. Ive not spoken to Darren for a few weeks due to me working at the recent NEC bike show Ive been to knact to go down for our usual Thursday night meet up, will see him later.

Brightsparkz, chain supplier wise dont run a cheap one they dont tend to last as long.

#37 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

cool well i will probabyl be heavily involved in helping put it together then we can do mine..lol

#38 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

Sounds like a plan, saves damaging your car if owt goes wrong lol :withstupid:

#39 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

interesting to see this conversion
just two things that spring to mind first is the gearing it looks to me that the chain size in the picture around the sprocket is very close to the diff bolt pattern therefore indicating a small "big sprocket it says a 15 tooth "small sprocket has been used this will give the car a tall overall gearing and hamper the performance also a small diameter "big sprocket " gives the chain a real pasting basically its got no leverage on the diff a bit like having a short bar on a socket then fitting a long bar to it the effort needed to do this is much less if you imagine that the chain is your arm and to turn the wheels requires a set amount of leverage then a bigger sprocket will require less pull on the chain
also the chain gets hammered by physically having to bend around two small sprockets in quick succession and has no time to recover if you imagine loading the chain to say 8000lbs of static load it will never break or wear out but then ask it to turn at 3 to6 thousand revolutions per miniute which it has to when running down the road with 8000 lbs of load on it then you can see the problem
i would be surprised if the chains lasted more than a hundred miles and i can call on real experiance to back this up
about 6 years ago a fellow grass track racer and top engineer geoff beresford made a sweet little drive system for the class 8 autograss cars ( for those of you who dont know geoff he is one of the best and most inventive engineers i know and in fact made the transfer box fitted to darren grasbys car) he wanted to get the drive train close to the back of the engine and used 530 chain and smaller than normal sprockets to acheive this he even ran two chains side by side to alleviate the above well known difficulties
the cars fitted with this system ran for about half a season
they kept breaking chains and wearing them out in around 20 miles of racing
he gave up and moved onto the current version using bigger sprockets and a chain thats loads longer
secondly accepting that the chain will get some greif what provision is there for tensioning
having been involved for the past fourteen years building bike engined car and having seen and tried various things both myself and with others i reckon the only answer to this once and for all is a proper gear driven box which can be both compact and reliable
if im wrong about the chain on these setups then i will hold my hands up and say i am but id like to thrash one around for an hour and see how it stood up to it im not saying it wont work and drive just that engineering wise its going to be on the raggy edge

#40 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:58 PM

chris, are you useing the protec diff? if so how much??? thanks RichMk1

#41 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

Z Cars Chris,
Darren Grasby uses an even shorter chain, as far as I know he has got that to work, so maybe it can be done

David

#42 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:43 AM

david, yes mine does work well now but it did take some messing and learning with to get there. i agree with what chris is saying but i think ive found away round the problem.

hi chris, the box/diff on my mini i made myself, geoff did do the 1 on the class 8 though.

Darren

Edited by fwdr1mini, 15 November 2006 - 01:06 AM.

#43 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

david, yes mine does work well now but it did take some messing and learning with to get there. i agree with what chris is saying but i think ive found away round the problem.

hi chris, the box/diff on my mini i made myself, geoff did do the 1 on the class 8 though.

Darren

darren i thought geoff did some work on it dont know where i got that from but ive been under that impression for a while so its hard to remember
the real answer is that protrans box weve been developing with geoff but we are so busy with all the other mini that id not bothered up till now
im expecting the first box to go onto the turbo elise we have here for some test running to evaluate the reliability of it with 400 bhp running through it
trouble with the box is it aint cheap but it will be better than a chain long term
i suppose once we get the boxes sorted we can marry one of our tubular frames to the box and do a kit but i will always be a rear wheel drive man at heart
what are you racing next year by the way
chris

#44 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:02 PM

A he/she round Stratford Leisure Centre but thats another story :lol:

#45 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

chris, sounds good youll have to let me know how it goes. i did get the drive cup for the engine off geoff but i did the rest of it.

still going to race the 8 next year and im building a 4 aswell. have you got any front wishbones still, i heard you had sold the jigs?

definitley a rwd man aswell but i had to prove a bike could go in the front aswell, didnt want to copy you.

aint it about time you came out to play again!

darren

rich, prefers to be known as the SHIM i hear its coming to southam soon for some bald!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users