#1 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

just thought i'd post up in here seeing as i float around on here now and then, mainly in the techy sections though. only met a handful of people on here, although i recgonise a few names from other forums.

I bought me car back in august after my old matt black clubby was fighting a losing battle against the rust so i stripped it and kept the good bits.

Started out as a std 998 1973 clubby apart from the metro 4 pots and grotty 12" alloys.
Posted Image

didn't take me long to ditch the front seats and fit my recaro's. Got shot of the metro brakes and fitted my modded 8.4's and my 10x6 wellers. had to fit a set of arches aswell to try and keep it somewhere near legal aswell.
Posted Image

whilst all that was going on i was rebuilding my old 1293 turbo lump ready to be dropped into the car over the xmas break from work. Had no choice but to do it then as it's my daily driver.
I had my st2 morspeed head worked over some more with stainless valves etc. The main difference though was changing from the std metro T3 to a smaller T2, but still using the metro exhaust manifold. Sourced the adapter plate from a chap on TM, and the elbow plate from there aswell. The main issues i had over the 10 day break from work was fabricating a turbo elbow and sorting out the oil drain. Not to mention the usual turbo conversion bits like a bulkhead box and fuel lines etc. Plus i had to try and get everything i needed ready as most places are shut over xmas.

here's a few pics from the conversion anyway.

*edit* didn't realise there was a picture limit per post..

Edited by Turbo Nick, 19 May 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

tired old 40.5hp 998 comes out
Posted Image

*edited to save me from the fun police*

new engine almost built up (waiting for the head to be finished)
Posted Image

spare head placed on top so i could mount the new T2 and make up the turbo oil drain
Posted Image

Edited by bud666, 31 July 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#3 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

the oil drain on the turbo and the return hole in the block, where the mech fuel pump goes on n/a motors
Posted Image

i'd got the engine in the car at this point so we could tack the new elbow in place, then took it out to weld it up properly off the car
Posted Image

*more fun police editing*

trying to mock up radiator and intercooler locations. eventually discovered the mpi rad had a leak so used my old metro one instead which is alot wider.
Posted Image

Edited by bud666, 31 July 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#4 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

The end result
Posted Image

Posted Image

been having some cooling issues recently though and having to have the leccy fan on constantly once its up to temp as the rad wasn't getting as much airflow as the intercooler. took the bumper off, fitted a different number plate and got out the 3.5" hole saw. Works a treat now, only needs the fan when sitting in traffic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Home made dash also went in, fitted with indiglo dials, shift light on top with ralph hiding the wires for it hehe.
Posted Image

nodding jebus on the back shelf aswell....kevin smith anyone? :goaway:
Posted Image

Turbo's started smoking really badly now aswell, i can't complain though as it was an ebay £10 special. Picked up a brand new one on wednesday from a chap on here and it should be getting bolted on sunday if i get chance.
Posted Image

sadly the mirage manifolds aren't mine, a mates had them off me as he's in greater need of them than me seeing as i've already converted my metro stuff and he's got a minus to turbo.
Posted Image

Also picked up an AEM wideband AFR gauge tonight so that i can keep an eye on my mixture while driving, and wind up the boost finally without the risk of not knowing if its leaning out or not. Also means i can tune it myself without going to a rolling road, just takes more time and fuel lol, but at least i'll learn how that side things works now. Be great to finally fit my bleed valve though, i've been running round on 5psi since i built it.
Posted Image

probably bored you all to death by now anyway, but i just wanted to stick all this in one place so i can look back at it and wonder if it was worth all the hassle, lol.

Nick :-

#6 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

what a treat.

those mirage manifodls do look nice

#7 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

youve done a real nice jjob of that mate.....

#8 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

I love it... turbotastic...

#9 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

cheers dudes :(

had a bit of a mishap on sunday though fitting the turbo, managed to put the corner of the transfer case through my radiator while i was levering the engine forward to pull the turbo out, lol.

the wideband lambda gauge is :) amazing though, the cars been running a bit rough since i built it and i couldn't decide if it was a fuelling or ignition problem....now i know its definately a fuelling issue, massive leanout coming on boost. Going to have a mess one of the nights and go for a drive stopping now and then to file my needle down, lol.

#10 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

Going to have a mess one of the nights and go for a drive stopping now and then to file my needle down, lol.

:( Coolies! Good luck with it :)

Nice looking turbo project, would love to do a turbo car one day! :)

#11 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

well the new turbo didn't cure the smoking problem so i took the engine out again last night. Went up to morspeed with the head today because simon owed me a set of exhaust valves and guides, got a full set of bronze guides fitted and new stainless exhaust valves to match the stainless inlets. the old ex valves were scrap, really worn on the stems but the inlet guides were a bit dicey too.

got home about 6pm, bolted the head back on and dropped the engine back in, will connect everything back up tomorrow and see if its cured. If not i dont know where else to look. the bores are fine, rings are fine, no blow by smoke coming out the breathers etc. now its got a new turbo and new valves/guides so thats gotta be evrything aint it?

can't recommend simons work enough he's really got me out of a bind today even with how busy he is up there, i've got the MOT a week after the riv run and needed to get this smoking cured for then so it'll pass.

Edited by bud666, 07 September 2010 - 10:06 PM.

#12 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

looking good! was it just exhaust valves that were replaced, the induction side could also leak but then would go through the combustion process, anyway yeah looks good ^_^ hope the problems solved with the new guides

#13 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

the inlet valves are only a couple of months old so they were fine, just replaced all 8 guides and the ex valves. Just in the process of bolting it all back into the car so we'll see how it goes in a couple of hours ^_^

#14 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

sounds good, let us know how it goes

#15 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

looking good bud, any sign of that engine steady lol? i need to make a bracket for my actuator, how did u make yours? also did u get the oil drain fitting with yout T2?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users