#31 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

RIGHT!! REALLY PISHED OFF!!

Ive just driven to take my sis bf home and then on to her work and back home, thats about a 20min drive. Came home and the car is bubbling LOADS, and smoke coming out the bonnet AGAIN, but not as much.

popped the bonnet, waited for it to cool and looked in the radiator.....filled it up AGAIN!!! Measured ish how much water it needed and it was nearly a litre of water needed filling up and the last time i filled it up was this morning!! WHAT!?

I did as you said and looked underneath when it was running and got mum to rev it. I can see wet drops on it and a small patch of water on the ground. But the underneath of a car means NOTHING to me so :-. Shall i try get pics? To help explain what im on about! Then there is not much point me flushing the radiator through if i have a leak is there?!

GRRRR

Raz xXx

Awww thanks u! I should get it done for free because its still under warranty however i cant get hold of him at the mo and when i do, its about a 45min journey, so i have to make sure its when my parents or someone are around so that i can get a lift back, then he will keep the car for a few days and im car-less!! But i dont care really about being car less, i need it fixed, especially that L2B is coming up and as is Riv Run, and i wont be going if its not fixed because its a 6hr journey!!

with the car topped up, stand just behind the rad looking at the water pump and see if you can see a little hole prob 3 mm wide. if you can see if there is a brown stain coming from it.

#32 Major Burkenshaw

Major Burkenshaw

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton mini club

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

You really should not keep driving it until you have got it fixed. Its not worth the risk of damaging the engine and potentially costing you more money. :-

#33 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ok thanks

Well i know its not good but thats my only means of transport. I can walk to college but one of my jobs is too far walk and my parents are not always around, the other i sometimes need to drive too. Being car-less is such a ******* too!

Raz xXx

#34 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

Ok thanks

Well i know its not good but thats my only means of transport. I can walk to college but one of my jobs is too far walk and my parents are not always around, the other i sometimes need to drive too. Being car-less is such a ******* too!

Raz xXx

i know that feeling. pain in the arse when it happens!

#35 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

Well i cant even find a 3mm hole, Grr i need a man, this isnt a womens job!! Not a Raz job anywho!!

(no connection between the 'hole' and needing a man :-)

The exhaust sprays out lil droplets, is that bad?

wana cry :xxx:

Raz xXx

Edited by *Raz*, 17 April 2007 - 05:53 PM.

#36 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

Could be, is it only when the engine is cold (prolly condensation in the exhaust- nothing to worry about) OR is it when the engine is HOT, in which case I would say it defo the head gasket. Would explain the loss of rad fluid and steam.

Did you check the carpets and floor under the heater, and also the foot wells for any water? Could be the heater matrix is leaking there too, explaining the steam from the vents.

Something says to me that this car might have been run a long time without any antifreeze in the cooling system, and the water has corroded the cooling system. Better have the radiator checked over too.

SS

#37 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

You have a 3 month warranty under statute by buying from a car dealer... you need to contact him as soon as you can and make him aware that there is a problem ans that you cannot drive the car. The onus is on him to get the car fixed. if you continue to drive the car and it causes a bigger problem such as engine failure you may have problems making any form of claim as you have driven it in full knowlege of a fault... i know that doesn't help you much but you need to put the ball back in the sellers court.

#38 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Could be, is it only when the engine is cold (prolly condensation in the exhaust- nothing to worry about) OR is it when the engine is HOT, in which case I would say it defo the head gasket. Would explain the loss of rad fluid and steam.

Did you check the carpets and floor under the heater, and also the foot wells for any water? Could be the heater matrix is leaking there too, explaining the steam from the vents.

Something says to me that this car might have been run a long time without any antifreeze in the cooling system, and the water has corroded the cooling system. Better have the radiator checked over too.

SS

Ok thanks. I duno the engine was warm when the exhaust stuff was coming out, it had only been running for a bit, and thats not when it was bubbling, that was after id topped the water up.

My dad drove the mini to get my sister earlier (the same distance as i had driven it) and nothing bad happened! He said it seemed ok! How weird!

Yea, he said he had given it an MOT, but there are still a few things wrong with it some of which should have been covered in the MOT. The car was just sat in a garage for a few years, so this is the most use Monty has had in a while, could explain the pants radiator!?

You have a 3 month warranty under statute by buying from a car dealer... you need to contact him as soon as you can and make him aware that there is a problem ans that you cannot drive the car. The onus is on him to get the car fixed. if you continue to drive the car and it causes a bigger problem such as engine failure you may have problems making any form of claim as you have driven it in full knowlege of a fault... i know that doesn't help you much but you need to put the ball back in the sellers court.

Yea, thanks. I have tried but i cant get hold of him at the moment. I will try again tomorrow. Yea i really need to get it done, else there will be no Riv Run for Raz :-. :xxx: ill try not to drive it that much but, meh, i rely on it!!

Thanks for your help tho every1. I shall keep u informed!

Raz xXx

#39 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

SS

Ok thanks. I duno the engine was warm when the exhaust stuff was coming out, it had only been running for a bit, and thats not when it was bubbling, that was after id topped the water up.

My dad drove the mini to get my sister earlier (the same distance as i had driven it) and nothing bad happened! He said it seemed ok! How weird!

Yea, he said he had given it an MOT, but there are still a few things wrong with it some of which should have been covered in the MOT. The car was just sat in a garage for a few years, so this is the most use Monty has had in a while, could explain the pants radiator!?

Yea, thanks. I have tried but i cant get hold of him at the moment. I will try again tomorrow. Yea i really need to get it done, else there will be no Riv Run for Raz :withstupid:. :rolleyes: ill try not to drive it that much but, meh, i rely on it!!

Thanks for your help tho every1. I shall keep u informed!

Raz xXx

any news yet?

#40 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

Well it did it today and guys at the mini meet said either thermostat or the lid. The lid was leaking too but i hadnt seen that before.... Guna get a new lid for it.

Clever boys /stupid Raz :withstupid:

Raz xXx

#41 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

Well it did it today and guys at the mini meet said either thermostat or the lid. The lid was leaking too but i hadnt seen that before.... Guna get a new lid for it.

Clever boys /stupid Raz :withstupid:

Raz xXx

if its any consolation fifi is playing silly buggers at the mo. timing is miles out and need new plugs. more money!

#42 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

Raz,

to check if is the thermostat, take it out and go for a run without it. the car will take longer to warm up but this will indicate if your stat is FUBAR'd. I had a knackered one for ages and thought that my engine was at fault but ends up it was a thermostat that only costs a few quid!

#43 mini_kel

mini_kel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,851 posts
  • Local Club: EMC/No pub mini club

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Whats the point in putting it back together without thermostat then going for a run and then taking it apart again to put a new one in!

Just put a new one in to start with as they are just a few pounds

#44 tomsbluemini

tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

If there's water leaking from somewhere and you cant see where, perhaps it's that stupid little bypass hose?

dont know if the newer minis have them, but they're a right pain to change.

I've done 2 now :) :)

just a thought, that's all. If you look above the water pump, there's a little tiny pipe that goes from the water pump, to the bottom of the head, just under the thermostat housing.

look very carefully with a torch, it might be dribbling from there???

Regards

Tom
ps: I changed my bypass hose yesterday, took me an hour and a half... have to take the radiator, fan, water pump off to get at it and fit a decent one. it helps if you take alternator off aswell, but not essential...

#45 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

well hello

Its all good. Monty is fixed, it was the thermostat

You clever peeps

Should be getting him back soon, as he has been in Mini hospital lol. Miss not having a car! But ive been exercising more so its helped me :proud:

Raz xXx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users