701 replies to this topic

#241 enrike

enrike

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

well i promised u guys an update, here it is. we've long finished a friend's nissan CG13DE conversion in his mini and today i remembered to take some pics of the install. theres also one of the pulley side of the subframe and its reinforcement. upgrading from the MA10 to the CG13 is just as hard as doing it from scratch we've learnt except for the left mount and the shifter which remains unchanged. the entire right side of the subbie must be re-worked plus the rear mount is dropped about 1 inch lower to accomodate the curvy CG manifold. would you guys believe that this engine intrudes even less into the firewall than the MA10 engine! this means that mods can be even more conservative requiring less welding.
pulley side of sub:
Posted Image

we are really pleased with the quality of this install and the owner was blown away too. the engine is extremely nimble and revs quite freely. the tach just flings around at hits the limiter with ease! the power delivery is VERY different to a mini or even MA engine and with the headers it sounds like a VTEC screamer. i will try to do a video so u guys can hear what i mean exactly. just picture pigeons flying away in all directions and frightened pedestrians fleeing in horror. heheh.......heh.
heres pics of the install :
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
gotta love sideways brakes [patent pending]
Posted Image

Hey bigchief,

I'm from Venezuela, and reading your post inspires me to take the conversion stuff seriously again. I read it from the begin, saving all the pictures and important comments, the thing is that I think that I don’t have the necessary knowledge to make such work, but I love my mini and I always wanted to make it more reliable and easy to maintain.

The thing is that I would like to contract you to make this conversion, but my mini is a minicord (fiber glass, Venezuelan made), it’s left driven, has A/C, so maybe you need to check if that is possible and the necessary changes, please let me know about your services, my e-mail [email protected].

Regards,

Enrike Barreto

#242 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

Had my cg13 with the larger box in a spare pickup shell my mate has kickin around and all was clear thank god!
However i was not totally happy as i think i have it mounted a little high(1-2"maybe) in comparison with bigchief's latest install in the blue car.
Got 3 days off now so gonna have a re-think and mod the mounts to get the best result i can but it is looking promising using the larger box.
Will take some pics when/if im happy with it!

#243 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

Look forward to the photos :D

#244 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

any updates guys?
i've been busy with house stuff but i'm really looking forward to ur progress!!!

#245 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

Ok promised an update so.... Sorry about the phone pics guys!
Decided to use box section rather than plating because i had some and thought i could make a neat job with it

Posted Image
Its in there!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Whats left!

Now armed with measurements!
Posted Image
Cut to the front measured from front panel mount hole center

Posted Image
What needs choppin here!

Posted Image
Crossmember alignment

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
One side!

Posted Image
Other side(same 245 measurement to the frame cut)

More to follow soon as i have done a little more...

#246 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

that's great progress bro...... ur rear brace is almost exactly where ours ends up.
in the shell, your engine sure looks alot higher though.
get urself some less-gloomy-looking photos okay!!!!

#247 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

love it guys, still considering this as the next engine!

#248 Nigeunders

Nigeunders

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hi Bigchief and Jimbob69

Would like todo this conversion but haven't got room to buy a complete donour car to ransake whenever I need a part so apart from

Engine + gearbox
All the fuel system
Drive shafts
ECU
Wiring to the ECU
Downpipe
Gearlinkage + Lever

Is there anything else I need to get from the scrapyard that might be attached to the bulkhead or elsewhere that I have forgotten?

Thanks in advance

Nige

#249 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Hi Bigchief and Jimbob69

Would like todo this conversion but haven't got room to buy a complete donour car to ransake whenever I need a part so apart from

Engine + gearbox
All the fuel system
Drive shafts
ECU
Wiring to the ECU
Downpipe
Gearlinkage + Lever

Is there anything else I need to get from the scrapyard that might be attached to the bulkhead or elsewhere that I have forgotten?

Thanks in advance

Nige

depending on the laws of ur country u may also want the nissan speedo, but other than that ur list seems complete.
as i mentioned before, the wiring is quite simple [except if ur donor has NATS, in that case ull need the transponder ring etc to get it to work. ]

#250 Nigeunders

Nigeunders

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Bigchief for your quick reply,

Not sure what year the donour car will be yet as I haven't found one. What year did NATS start appaering and where is the transponder ring located?

I think the speedo thing should be ok in the UK but if not i'm sure someone will tell me.

Thanks again

Nige

#251 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:21 PM

hi ALL
mine has NATS got a mate to look at it as it looks complicated he is trying
to keep as much as possible mini just got my driveshafts made at work they look good
i have made new engine MTGs and engine is in subframe waiting for the right time to take mini off
road (need it for work)i will put up some pics soon
andy

#252 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

some new pics
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#253 drummerian

drummerian

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

looks good mate!

#254 jimbob69

jimbob69

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Impressive work there flying, have you welded the shafts or made new?

#255 shnevpayne

shnevpayne

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Local Club: Minisunlimited

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

I bow down to You BigChief! An inspiration to all us on TMF! Now the really big and serious question. Would you ever consider exporting one of those bad boys over to the UK?? And what moneys would you be looking for?
One of my mates is considering it (as money is no issue for him) They look just awesome and so tidy.
I am considering a conversion one day. How challenging is the wiring on the 1988 engine and do you have to use the micra loom or just work the 2 looms together (as I saw the simple 4 fuse box on the bulkhead in one of your previous conversions)

Cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users