#211 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:15 PM

i believe u guys are up for a real challenge trying to use the large gearbox. it may require expanding and re-inforcing the sides of the subframe to get it to fit.
our gearboxes are definitely smaller and seem to be the same size as the K10 gearbox, just with cooling fins and the shifter being 90degrees off.
if i am correct, your gearboxes have larger diff casing, clutch and pot joints and much longer making the fit more difficult. i am convinced now that we're using the pre98 cg10 box.
the bulkhead mod is definitely less than the earlier photos, the thing is that all the cg's that we've done were upgrades from the MA10 so the bulkhead is already done when it gets in, i will take a photo of how it sits now so u will get what i mean. theres enough room to fit ur hand behind there. also , by using the large box the engine comes over more to the driver side and affects the bulkhead even more as its tapered!
hope it helps a bit, al post the pics of the bulkhead later today.....

#212 batespeed

batespeed

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local Club: minis in inverness

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

absolutley, the whole point of this conversion is that it fits in a mini engine bay (hopefully, with an earlier box and shafts)with the minimum of hacking about of the subframe, and big chief has done all the ground work.
if you have to move the engine over 2 inches the whole thing has to be re engineered and your breaking new ground and on your own basicaly. if i was you i would be splashing out £100 for an earlier box and shafts, good luck.........

#213 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

i'm gonna try it tomorrow without the mesh but after cleaning it a few times i'm really paranoid!!

How you getting on then? my Micra more or less kept up with a BMW Mini cooper the other night, very pleased considering how good I know those Minis are.

#214 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

think am gonna leave the mesh on. 1275 started a huge argument on micra club uk:
http://www.micra.org...ead.php?t=33566
leaving it on mine because theres alot piping and stuff before the TB plus my filter on the turbo itself isn't that great. don't think removing it on boosted engine would make a huge diff IMO.

#215 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

Fair do's. Don't take any notice of the childish morons on there though...........

#216 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:57 AM

Fair do's. Don't take any notice of the childish morons on there though...........

yeah, i know exactly what you mean. but there's still alot to be learnt from those guys who do know what they're talking about. the same applies to 'cisco's micra files'.
just an update but i'm in the middle of doing another MA10 right now. will post pics if i do anything differently or special this time, but u guys are way more interested in the 16valve version i'm sure!!!!

#217 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

Yep 16 valves is what we want.

Agreed about the Micra forums, 10% useful, of course Frank is number one. 1275 is a great guy too :dontgetit: :D

#218 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

just an update on engine i have now made the subframe its a bit ruffff at moment as you can see
the engine has clearance around it and as you can see i have used the micra engine mtg's the engine is now
out of subframe so that i can stiffen up welds ad in some more stiffeners then get it painted
watch this space
Posted Image
top of towers this gives clearance for intake
Posted Image
side showing engine mtg and drive shaft clearance
Posted Image
side showing mtg
Posted Image
rear not much left of subframe (big gearbox and diff) lotts of hassle
but we is getting there
andy

#219 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

cheers to your progress..........finally.
u really got alot less room from using the original mounts esp below where the shifter and exhaust needs to pass. is that where your alternator is going because i dont think it'll fit in a roundnose? instead of the staggered rear bar, why not drop a straight bar all the way across but lower? it will defn be stronger than the 'step' u got there. the rear bar is VERY important as it replenishes strength taken away from bulkhead mods and removal of metal by the diff. hope i'm not being a pain, but where is ur radiator gonna go now since above the gbox is no longer available? is ur left tie bar going to foul ur gearbox at the top of suspension travel? by the way ur left side driveshaft exit is excellent!
let me know what you think.

#220 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

hi, im abou to do a micra conversion on my mini as i have oil commming from the exhaust and im getting about 25mpg :thumbsup: think the rings are worn.

the only thing i dont want to do it cut the bulkhead, would it be possible or wise to use a throttle body conversion from a motorbike, then the lump should fit in without any mods to the firewall? should it not free up an enormous ammount of power? the pictures of the manifold look like its quite restricted.

you say the best gerbox to use is one on a pre 98 micra as its smallest, but what final drive ratios are availiable, as the mini is alot lighter than the micra would it be possible to use a pre 98, 1275 box on a 998 micra block?

and bigchief what sort of MPG are you getting out of these cg10de engnied minis? you should be getting pretty close to 50mpg if you can resist the right foot that is :)

thanks ;)

#221 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

How about a set of bike carbs? are you going to use a 998cc engine then?

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#222 flying banana

flying banana

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

cheers to your progress..........finally.
u really got alot less room from using the original mounts esp below where the shifter and exhaust needs to pass. is that where your alternator is going because i dont think it'll fit in a roundnose? instead of the staggered rear bar, why not drop a straight bar all the way across but lower? it will defn be stronger than the 'step' u got there. the rear bar is VERY important as it replenishes strength taken away from bulkhead mods and removal of metal by the diff. hope i'm not being a pain, but where is ur radiator gonna go now since above the gbox is no longer available? is ur left tie bar going to foul ur gearbox at the top of suspension travel? by the way ur left side driveshaft exit is excellent!
let me know what you think.

i am using a flip front and may make up an extended cover for alternator/or move like you have done.
the rear bar will be changed to lower and one piece.
the rear floor plate is going to be joined up.
radiator? have not got there yet that may go inner wing as i am using flip front.
and gearbox does just touch so looking at making some bent adjustable ones i have seen on other cars
I'm glad of the comments you guys no more than me so your comments are always welcome
thanks andy

#223 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

hi, im abou to do a micra conversion on my mini as i have oil commming from the exhaust and im getting about 25mpg :shifty: think the rings are worn.

the only thing i dont want to do it cut the bulkhead, would it be possible or wise to use a throttle body conversion from a motorbike, then the lump should fit in without any mods to the firewall? should it not free up an enormous ammount of power? the pictures of the manifold look like its quite restricted.

you say the best gerbox to use is one on a pre 98 micra as its smallest, but what final drive ratios are availiable, as the mini is alot lighter than the micra would it be possible to use a pre 98, 1275 box on a 998 micra block?

and bigchief what sort of MPG are you getting out of these cg10de engnied minis? you should be getting pretty close to 50mpg if you can resist the right foot that is :(

thanks ;)

alot of guys are concerned about bulkhead mods but i ASSURE you that it is avoidable by tilting the engine slightly forward, as long as the small gearbox is used. the weather has been crappy so i havent had a chance to take a pic of the slight intrusion required if not tilting, but i will soon. its not more than 1 inch deep. maybe this may help:
Posted Image
ignore the 5th injector behind the throttlebody and u will see what i mean.
the micra intake is designed for economy and low end torque hence the long runners on the manifold. from the vid above u may also notice that bike carbs are bigger, not to mention it hampers mounting the alternator where we have done it. not sure about the gear ratios u can check 'cisco's micra files' or MSC on that.
the mpg.............all i can say is fabulous! its the CG13 is defn more econ than the MA10 or any A+ engine.
by the way i've read that everything between the CG10 and CG13 is exactly the same except for ECU, cams and buckets, crank, rods and pistons. both use the same exact bore and block etc so the gboxes are interchangeable.

Edited by bigchief3679, 28 September 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#224 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

i am using a flip front and may make up an extended cover for alternator/or move like you have done.
the rear bar will be changed to lower and one piece.
the rear floor plate is going to be joined up.
radiator? have not got there yet that may go inner wing as i am using flip front.
and gearbox does just touch so looking at making some bent adjustable ones i have seen on other cars
I'm glad of the comments you guys no more than me so your comments are always welcome
thanks andy

i would defn advise moving the alternator. the engine is small enough to find space in the engine bay for it. i was surprised that my turbo and downpipe etc fitted with no probs, there is intercooler room on the left side too!! :cry: :)
flipfront, innerwing n stuff is quite alot for a 75hp lump but daz just my opinion. the engine is small enough to avoid that (not bashing u bro) but at least u're not going clubby front right? :shifty: ;) :(
the original micra rad is small so there's still some hope, if not u can always pick up one from a civic. keep the updates coming, again i'm not bashing u but it is at this stage that your entire engine-bay layout must be considered, cheers.

#225 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

thanks, thats answered all of my questions, i think im going for a nice cheap low milage cg10, and proably going to cut the whole in the bulkhead, it looks alot smaller than the MA10 as you said. now all i need to do is get the parts together :shifty:

oh i take it i can use the mpi fuel pump to feed this so thats another thing not to worry about

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users