#1 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Well. here goes.

I've bought myself a mini minus shell, its completely fibreglass, as im sure everyone knows, and im planning on putting a yamaha R1 engine in the front.

If only it was as simple as that!

Edited by preston-7, 03 February 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#2 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

lookin good :thumbsup: cant wait to see more progress. Those pro-motive kits will save you alot of time and maybe money you no?

Edited by alexcrosse, 08 February 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:36 AM

exactly what i was going to say. speak to pro-motive

#4 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

isnt a minus lower in the body too? i.e body chopped if so by how much? as there isnt alot of space left in my engine bay lol

i'm sure with some measurements darren could tell you if a kit would fit and if not i'm sure the lads at promotive could help they are keep to develope new things and are up to the challenge...

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

3" taken from below the window line! Will love watching this topic! Several people had told me to stick a big engine in the back of mine, but I was tempted to look at the R1 in the front.

#6 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

just been out working on mine and i think if you use one of the modified promotive rads (rad cap at the other end of the rad) it would go in maybe have to look into a different air filter setup... would be really nice in a minus!!

the engine sits quite low, central and quite far back (great weight distribution)

would be great if you could use it with the funky inboard suspension setup like you have jammy...

#7 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:14 AM

This is going to be an intresting build. Will keep my eye on this one.

Nice shell to start with too, no rust :angel: :thumbsup:

#8 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

we are due to be building ourselves a minus very soon, we have a new shell thats waiting for us to collect. we will be fitting it with 1 of our kits and it will be having 1 of our cages in it to try and help hold it together.

watch for news of it on our website.

if you are interested in a FWD kit please get in touch we will be glad to help.

Darren

#9 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, its great to see other people opinions and ideas.

having lowered the engine in with the manifold on, its tight. but moving the front crossmember out into the moulded front end of the car below the grill, should give me another 2" to play with. hopefully making life easier.

I'll try and get some pics up in the near future

Edited by preston-7, 29 January 2009 - 11:54 PM.

#10 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Anymore progress? looking good so far!

#11 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Hello, It's almost been a year since i got this car, and basically, its sat and done bugger all, while i've pottered about deciding if it should go in the front or back or sit on the damn roof. and well, ive finally decided- it's going in the front, I'm going to go with the Pro-Motive kit, I cant order one till i sell my car 1st unfortunately ( anyone fancy a subaru impreza?? clean and tidy, reluctant sale! ) I'm taking it to a mate who owns a garage, to stick it on the forecourt, hopefully get it away soon!

so I've decided to get on and do some work on it,

I went down to sheffield last weekend and got some bits and pieces, wheels, doors, quick turn steering rack, and some back lights.

I've fitted the petrol tank, gave it a quick lick of paint, nothing too serious as i'll worry about that later! Im planning on using the yamaha fuel pump, anyone have a reason why i shouldnt?? I cant decide if I should put it next to the tank or next to the engine? any ideas?

I also attacked the fibreglass doors with the jigsaw, the drivers door seems a bit twisted, can't make up my mind, i'll see when i fit it properly, it's just laid in place, it took ma all bloody day just to do one, i was being incredibly carefull, by the time i came 2 do the second one however i was extremly fed up and attacked it with the small angle grinder! biggest joke is, the angle grinder made an excellent job!! passenger door fits a treat, only had 2 re-trim it twice to make it fit! never mind, I'll try and post some pics of the progress and goodies i bought

Cheers

Attached Files

Edited by preston-7, 28 January 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#12 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

Heres some more pics i've found-

My seats arrived yesterday, pleased with them gave them a good hoover and clean up, and they look really good, theyr a bit scruffy in the pic unfortunately. really chuffed with the wheels too!

Attached Files

Edited by preston-7, 05 May 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#13 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

found a few more lol

Attached Files

Edited by preston-7, 03 February 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#14 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:14 AM

Progress is progress...........keep up the good work !

I've fitted the petrol tank, gave it a quick lick of paint, nothing too serious as i'll worry about that later! Im planning on using the yamaha fuel pump, anyone have a reason why i shouldnt?? I cant decide if I should put it next to the tank or next to the engine? any ideas?

Last R1 I fitted to a car, I put the pump near the engine, with no problems. That was a remote type. Do'nt know if you've got an "in the tank" type tho?

Edited by lchris21, 29 January 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#15 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

[/quote]

Last R1 I fitted to a car, I put the pump near the engine, with no problems. That was a remote type. Do'nt know if you've got an "in the tank" type tho?
[/quote]

It's the remote type, I think I'll stick it up next to the engine somewhere, i saw a pro-motive build last night with it beside the engine!

cheers

Nick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users