31 replies to this topic

#16 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

woah this has scared me abit as im wanting to learn how to weld and going to be buying one soon :)

#17 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

The theory behind the washing up liquid is it puts a film over your eye that stops it stinging as bad, you still have some pain but if you've got proper welding flash, any other pain is better than the one you've got now.

I would not purposefully put something in my eye that recommends immediate of removal of itself if it gets in your eye. never the less,.. i could see how it might help,.. but we blink,... which in turn would wash it away anyway.

#18 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

is it a arc activated one or a normal one ?

One of my masks is a light reactive one, it's about 8 years old when i bought it it cost about £800 but it made such a difference.

I also have got a normal mask that i use if i'm doing any heavy welding work.

#19 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

B.A.'s big tips for flash eye.

1) Get a new mask, with proper rated lenses. Go to a proper H&S shop not B&Q or similar. Tell them what you're doing and they should help.

2) Darken rooms.

3) Bitching and moaning about it REALLY helps.

4) Sleep (whoop).

I got a nasty flash eye during a welding class. Was lining up then touched the electrod to the metal. Spent the rest of the class going "Sir, I'm blind. Can I please go to the hospital now?"I was fine after 10-20mins. Hurt like hell though.

#20 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hi, an old wives remedy is to place COLD tea bags over your eyes, I'm a dubious about the washing up liquid and wouldn't recommend it!!

#21 minorconfusion

minorconfusion

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

cucumber/lettuice works well... or ice pack in a flannel but ye, deffo dark room and some sleep.

#22 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

i bought my mask in machine mart when i got my welder its a full face thing the bloke told me there really good. but now im hurting so im unsure. this may sound stupid but is there any way to test the lense?

If it's the grey plastic full face one and supplied lenses for about a tenner, then that’s the one I’ve been using for the last year or so with no problems. :)

#23 mini_kel

mini_kel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,851 posts
  • Local Club: EMC/No pub mini club

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

When i had it before the pain didn`t start till the middle of the night! eye drops and dark room and maybe a few whiskeys to knock u out!!! lol

#24 ferrit

ferrit

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

i have been welding today and my eyes are really hurting does anybody know of pain relief for arc eye?

Tea bags! particularly the used and wet type. Oh and let them cool first. A&E would be the best bet though.

#25 digitalboy0

digitalboy0

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

ferrit you took the words strait out of my mouth !!! i swear by used cold tea bags just lay down and rest a tea bag on each eye ! they have to be used and cold !!!

#26 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I had arc eye after a days welding, and like kel it didn't start hurting until the early morning. It hurt like hell so my dad took me to A&E and they put some anaesthetic drops in my eye and is was the best feeling EVER!!!! The pain went away almost immediately but the relief only lasted an hour or so and the pain came back. They also put an orange dye in my eyes to see if I had scratched them as I had been doing allot of grinding, the dye ran down my face and it dried and lasted for about 3 days and it made me look a bit ridiculous.

Go to A&E and get checked out incase you have done more to your eyes than a miled case of Arc Eye, but I'm sure they are going to say that the only remedy is to sleep it off.

Also, get a quality mask and USE IT

Edited by pogie, 01 April 2008 - 07:19 AM.

#27 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

ive been mig welding for 30 odd years and never had arc eye, ive used cheap masks and never had it.
it might be splatter in your eye, best to go to a&e or a eye hospital if one local.
ive had that much C**p in my eyes over the years, the local eye hospital invites me to there xmas partys. lol

#28 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Your mask should be rated for lens strengh. a good one will be from 9-13 and you will probably need it on around the 11 ish mark. Also it needs to have a quick reaction time so it darkens instantly when you start welding - this is where cheap masks fall down and that could be your problem.
Also if it is battery powered and not solar powered, then your batteries could be low.

If your mask does not fit this criteria then visit here £45 will get you what you the basic welding mask you need http://www.welduk.co...asp?Category=49

Or were you wearing a white T-Shirt? Even if just a V of white t shirt is visible if your overalls arent done up all the way, then this will be directing UV light behind the mask - and the longer you weld the worse it is, ofcourse.

And actually folks the worst pain you feel from arc eye is not from sun burnt eyeball surfaces, the Uv light actually scores your retina!

#29 mayoturbo

mayoturbo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

I had arc eye after a days welding, and like kel it didn't start hurting until the early morning. It hurt like hell so my dad took me to A&E and they put some anaesthetic drops in my eye and is was the best feeling EVER!!!! The pain went away almost immediately but the relief only lasted an hour or so and the pain came back. They also put an orange dye in my eyes to see if I had scratched them as I had been doing allot of grinding, the dye ran down my face and it dried and lasted for about 3 days and it made me look a bit ridiculous.

Go to A&E and get checked out incase you have done more to your eyes than a miled case of Arc Eye, but I'm sure they are going to say that the only remedy is to sleep it off.

Also, get a quality mask and USE IT

same with me. Go to A+e like people have said

#30 1an

1an

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

when i was speaking to someone i know who does alot of welding i asked him why he was wearing sunglass in winter when it wasnt sunny, turned out he had arc eye and he found it the best way to releive the pain, worth a try,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users