562 replies to this topic

#1 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Finally got round to starting this as the pickup shell is 99% done. I picked up a set of calipers today, off an MOTed fiesta for £30 and they are really good.
Basically mk1 fiesta calipers are sliding single pot calipers (with huge pads!) which means they are very slim with no fluid galeries going to the other side of the disk. This means when you fit them to mini hubs you can fit 10" wheels over, fantastic.
The mounting holes for the calipers line up exactly with the holes in the mini hubs but rather than the bolts passing through the caliper and screwing into the hub the fiesta calipers are threaded. This means the thread in the hubs has to be removed to allow the fiesta bolts to clear. It really is just removing tread, so i think this is safe but just to make sure im getting my engineer to drill them in a jig just to make sure the drill does just that.
I offered the calipers up to the mini setup after removing the standard calipers and it really is so close to fitting. The disk need to be moved out about 4mm, and im going to do that with MG metro drive flanges but i have seen it done with spaces between the hub and drive flange. :sick:
The caliper comes in two parts with the actual caliper its self and the mounting bracket. The caliper is nice and simple but the mounting bracket seems to be unnessasarily big in areas that im sure would not help its stength. One such piece runs between the two mounting points which are attached to the car anyway and thus cant add much strenght if any. I suppose fords dont really worry about un sprung weight??? :lol:
Anyway you need to take about 3mm out of this bit between the mounting points to allow it to clear the hub so the holes line up (see pic). A fraction of its size but im sure it would be fine without it.
Appart from that you need to turn the disks down to 7.9" and sort out the metric hoses and its all good.

Should have it all done by next week :grin: 10" wheels, i cant wait.

Attached Files

#2 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

so close but definatly need to ajust the mounting bracket slightly

Attached Files

#3 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

this is the part that needs to be modified

Attached Files

#4 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

caliper

Attached Files

#5 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

8.4" mini vs. mk1 fiesta

Attached Files

#6 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

Ok stripped the hubs back and degreased them today but have realised the calipers ive been sold are actually mk2 calipers :lol:
Anyway as ive said they should fit fine but im now on my own with this one.

#7 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

Looking good , i might look at this myself if it goes well with you , i have a van and would like to keep its original looks of the 10s (as ultimate handling is not as important) :grin:

#8 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

Got myself an MG metro 4 pot brake setup this mornig off ebay for a 10er and picked it up this afternoon. The drive flanges do the job of moving the disk out lovely. I mocked it all up and it should work perfectly but its gonna be quite wide. These metro drive flanges have wheel locating lugs so you have to spacer the wheels if you want to fit steelies (or wellers like ive got) but should be fine with alloy 10s.
Having some issues with removing a ball joint from the hubs at the moment. Ive tryed ball joint sockets and spanners, then both with very large leverage, then heat and both again. All ive managed to achieve so far is to bend a good 90deg 1/2" socket bar :lol: i think a different stratergy is reqired! i might be in the market for a new hub.
Anybody want to swap for some 4 pot metro calipers?

#9 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:29 PM

you can ground of the lugs does not affect the flanges

have had to do it many times when converting cars to 4 pots

will save you having to run spacers

#10 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Ahhh grind them off! Good plan. You dont need these lugs for anything do you?

#11 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

Ok the hubs, drive flanges and disks back from the engineers today. £30 and ive had the disks faced and turned down, the lugs milled off the drive flanges and the treads taken out and and oposite face put on the hubs. Fantastic job they've done too.
That brings the running total to £70 and i just need these new hoses. (it might be £60 quid if i sell the mg 4 pots that came with the mg drive flanges)
Take a peek.

Attached Files

#12 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

:grin:

Attached Files

#13 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

:wink:

Attached Files

#14 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:19 PM

You're certainly a clever little so and so Chris!!! I'm watching the outcome of this - would love to do this conversion on my mini. The 'proper' kit is so expensive.

Well Done so far mate!!!

#15 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

Dont say im cleaver till ive actually got this lot working! besides im not the first to do this (maybe with mk2 calipers). Lets just see if they work :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users