562 replies to this topic

#16 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

Right got the new bearings on order having already fitted the new ball joints and i bought a set of 10" wheels with new tires from ebay last night so everythings coming together....apart from the hoses. Anyone know where i can get custom hoses made up?

#17 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

Today was the day! Got a set of custom hoses made up by Moquip which arived thursday and that was all the bits found. So today i got to fitting it all to the car. The hoses were very tricky to fit as the fixings are on the other side of the subframe but after abit of fiddling i got them on. Then i had a hell of a time getting the drive shafts apart, as i needed to change the cv's but by mid day i had everything apart and was ready to start putting all the new bits on. It was a nice easy job to just bolt up the new hubs, calipers, disks and flanges. To easy it would turn out as having finished it all and conected up the easy bleed i tryed to open up the bleed niple on one caliper and sheered it flush off in the casting ;) ,that'll teach me not to check them before. Anyway after and hour or so of struggling a got it out and refitted with another bleed nipple, bled the system through and hey presto done! So it only took me 8 hours....great! The brakes are great though, slightly less travel than the standard setup but way more power, they are still beding in obviously so they will change but its looking good. Well worth the 90 odd quid it cost me!

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Edited by Pickup76, 28 May 2005 - 10:05 PM.

#18 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

Being a complete sceptic.... well done.. lets see how it all ends up, and you say all for 90, does that include everything ???

#19 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

Err let me calculate it properly; £30 for the calipers from the scrappy (a bit steep i should have shopped about) £30 for the machineing (you could do most of it on your own but i didnt want to risk the inacuracy) £10 for a complete metro 4 pot setup (sold the 4 pots to guessworks to break even) £30 for my custom braded hoses (they are gourgous if a little steep) So that brings the conversion to £90 but ive also chosen to replace the wheel barings and ball joints which cost a fair bit.

I recon if you took the time to get the cheapest bits you could do it for £60; Ive seen people get working calipers for £15, £10 for the flanges, £20 for machineing if you did the drive flanges yourself, £15 for fixings to convert the standard mini hoses to the metric ends (Moquip can do this apparently but i havent tryed it) £60!

#20 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

That sounds one hell of a good alternative to the Cooper S/4 pot conversions at a fraction of the price. Itll be nice to see what they are like under hard driving. Well done though mate.

#21 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:27 PM

Still havent driven them hard yet but they seem to be getting more bite as they bed in! Be interesting to see how easy they are to over heat.
Heres some pics anyway;

Attached Files

#22 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

:grin:

Attached Files

#23 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

:grin:

Attached Files

#24 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

so are the std mini hoses used with an adaptor?

#25 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

Na, Moquip said they could do me an adaptor but i chose a custon braded line from them. Im sure the adaptor would be fine though and way cheaper.

#26 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

ok cheers, i symathise with you on the ball joints i was trying to do some a couple of weeks ago and one of them just didnt want to budge

#27 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

Sorry, but I dont quite understand some of what you've done here...

How can using metro flanges move the disc outwards?
What hubs, CV's and drive shafts have you used?
How have you attached the calliper to the hub if you had to drill the threads out?
How did you go about lining the holes up for mounting the calliper if they were out?
Can this fit any 10" wheel setup?
As stopping power goes, what are they like in comparison to normal 8.4's and servo'd 8.4's?

Have you thought about doing this conversion on the side as a kit? If so, can I order one now.

#28 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:59 PM

Right i'll work through your list bluemini;
Mg metro drive flanges are for vented disks, which are quite thick so when you fit solid (standard 8.4" disks to them) and fit that to the standard 8.4" hubs the disk is about 3/4" further out. The centres the disk in the fiesta calipers.
The whole conversion is based on a satandard 8.4" setup so im running those hubs, cv's and drive shafts.
Rather than the hub being threaded and the bolt passing throught the caliper and screwing into the hub, as the mini sutup does, the fiesta calipers are threaded. So ive drilled the threads out of the hub so the fiesta bolts are a clearance fit and mounted the fiesta calipers on the other side of the mini hub mounting bracket (after cleaning up that face) with the bolts passintg throught the hub and screwing into the fiesta caliper. Its just lucky that the fiesta calipers mounting holes are spaced exactly the same as mini ones.
Im running cobra super slots and there is loads of clearance, so i assume all 10" alloys will fit. Ive also tryed the standard 10" steel wheels from my pickup and they dont quite fit, might with a small spacer though.
Im not running a servo and compared the standard setup the peddle is a little harder but theres more bite. Quite progressive though. I'll have to see what its like once its all beded in but first impressions are good and i love having 10" wheels.
Think thats covered it all, but im not very good at explaining so tell me if its still unclear.

I have indeed thought about selling this kit and if all goes well over the next few weeks, will get the ball rolling but im unsure about the liability issues if a setup ive sold fails. I'll have to look into it.

Chris

#29 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

Sweet... PM sent

#30 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

I'm Impressed... The only think I don't like is the way the brake pipe does that 'S' kink, maybe a banjo connection on the top of the caliper would be better, but apart from that, I think you onto a winner..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users