#46 MIRVINE11

MIRVINE11

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: BritishMiniClub

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

Isn't there some loop hole where you buy a private reg which predates the high-vis plates??

#47 Sharpies9

Sharpies9

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:36 AM

Isn't there some loop hole where you buy a private reg which predates the high-vis plates??

I would have thought it makes it easier to get away with if the plates are the right age and therefore on first glance they look legal. But I believe it is actually on the car age, not the plates?

#48 Hayley

Hayley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Local Club: 40mmc

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

I have had black and silver plates on my 76 car for 6 years and have never been pulled up on anyM.O.T's at various places. The police have never caused a problem either, I have had random stop checks before and it has never been mentioned.

My opinion is that its the least of their worries, might be pushing it on a much later car though?

#49 ryancanfly

ryancanfly

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

When I pass, I will probably wait a few years before putting black plates on my 84 mini. The police will use any excuse to stop a young driver. :thumbsup:

Although my brother seems to think that some of his friends have black plates on there 09 reg cars. :(

#50 Nick '91

Nick '91

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Just to clarify whats the maximum fine if you get caught with black and white / illegal plates, as I was told by 4 or 5 seperate people two of which being MOT testers that its a £60 fine and 3 points when my front plate fell off just wondering whether its been changed from the £30 pound fine mentioned in earlier posts for B/W plates. I realise Id be unlikely to be pulled for it, and more unlikely to get points as its at the officers discression but id rather not get some to show my insurance company.

#51 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

It's gone up to £60... Not sure about the points though.

I was stopped with them on my 2003 VW T4 (they looked sooooo good!) but thats the risk you take.

#52 skaterava

skaterava

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

if you've got a bit of cash to splash and you want to guarantee you won't get stopped by the po' po', buy a military number plate. I believe that's what they are, because i've seen a set of black and whites on a newish Audi A3 before.

#53 The Reverand

The Reverand

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

I've been considering black+silver plates aswell. On my logbook, my mini is down as registered 1973 so i'm assuming i'd be ok. Or am I wrong? The thing is, if my car was registered in 73 then what if it rolled off the production line in late 72 for example. Would I qualify for exemption?

#54 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

you need to speak to heritage to find out when your car was manufactured. They will provide (at a small cost) a certificate that will confirm this and if it was manufactured before Jan1st 1973 then you will be able to get the DVLA to change the class on your car to classic and then you'll get tax exemption but i think the rules for the plates are on the registration date

#55 The Reverand

The Reverand

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

you need to speak to heritage to find out when your car was manufactured. They will provide (at a small cost) a certificate that will confirm this and if it was manufactured before Jan1st 1973 then you will be able to get the DVLA to change the class on your car to classic and then you'll get tax exemption but i think the rules for the plates are on the registration date

Thanks for the reply.

I enquired at the heritage centre and got a strange response. They said my mini was built on the 12th July 1974 when its 73 on the logbook?

any ideas?

#56 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

i'd ask them to double check as that seems very suspect to me

#57 The Reverand

The Reverand

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

i'd ask them to double check as that seems very suspect to me

I emailed them about the query and the response i got was:

Dear Christopher
I am not at all surprised, log books are notoriously unreliable. The second series of Mk lll Minis indicated by the prefix X-L2S1N/ commenced during 1974.

Regards
DWT
Bmiht

Can DVLA log books be wrong? I'm getting a little worried to be honest.

#58 DoubleHB176

DoubleHB176

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Slightly different from this thread but........

What about the plates that came after black/silver..... The white/black and yellow/black but with raised digits ? Mk 3 style I think, don't quote me though.
I have heard they can't be picked up by cameras (ahem) etc
Are they still available ?

#59 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Iv got black and silver plates on my 1976 clubman, and its just passed it mot with them on and iv driven past loads of police and theve never batterd an eyelid, i suppose its because its only 3 years off and they dont notice?

Exactly the same here.

Passed three MOTs and been driving around for four years.

#60 vini

vini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: no never again

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

It's gone up to £60... Not sure about the points though.

I was stopped with them on my 2003 VW T4 (they looked sooooo good!) but thats the risk you take.

i was stopped last october by a traffic cop because my black and white plates didnt show up on his camera.92 city by the way.fixed penalty of £30 and half hour how much he loves minis.think he just wanted a chat about minis lol,and its past the last 3 mots with black and white plates :thumbsup: Dean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users