yeah just pin it... its what minifinity did to sort this kind of problem

#17 matt9992004

matt9992004

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

what about black and silver on the back and normal reflective on the front? I know my sister does that with her vw beetle which isnt before 1973, by the way shes had no problems, so police might half the fine if your lucky :thumbsup:

#18 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:47 AM

Does not matter, you are displaying an incorrect number plate, whether because it's the wrong colour, not vertical, stick on, incorrect spacing etc etc etc

Now you will probably get a fine and producer, and repeated offenders will probably get their car taken off them and crushed.

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

ps... I have a 72' mini with black and whites and even I've been pulled and had to 'inform' the young officer that I'm allowed to display plates like that !

#20 DOT

DOT

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: Potts About Minis

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

A number of people in Stoke have be fined for this. Was one report of guy who'd just one top car prize at a show and this still didn't persuade them that he was only using them for show plates.

Once on public hiway you need correct plates.

#21 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

ps... I have a 72' mini with black and whites and even I've been pulled and had to 'inform' the young officer that I'm allowed to display plates like that !

I'm half expecting this when i get my 73 clubby on the road as its just before the changeover period.

#22 Its a mini thing

Its a mini thing

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

Iv got black and silver plates on my 1976 clubman, and its just passed it mot with them on and iv driven past loads of police and theve never batterd an eyelid, i suppose its because its only 3 years off and they dont notice?

Edited by Its a mini thing, 12 June 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#23 Burt

Burt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: www.cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

had black and silvers on a 92 for 3 years now, still not been pulled for them

#24 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

i gues its just luck, if your car looks old enough then i surpose they wont notice... i know a way round it!

buy a tax exempt car >_<

i have a sticker numberplate on my bonnet, its smaller so it fits inbetween my bonnet straps, its illegal and ive never had hassle, been pulled for my wheels sticking out mind... they didnt notice that when the asked me if everything was working properly and had a good poke around...

#25 photographymatt

photographymatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Local Club: shropshire BMC

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Its scary, not being 100% knowledgable about law.... when they are supposed to be the upholders of the law and all that...

#26 mini_lad_deacon

mini_lad_deacon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: tynemouth

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:53 PM

i got pulled and got asked to change them and get mot stamp on producer slip , yeah u can get 30pound fine and more if they want to be funny :)

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

yes thats what i thought , if you bought a cheap old reg no. that pre dates 1973 and used that on the modern mini with the black and silver

Still illegal, although less noticeable until they PNC your car. It's the date of first registration that determines what plates you may use and that won't change if you re-register.

Was one report of guy who'd just one top car prize at a show and this still didn't persuade them that he was only using them for show plates.

Still illegal, there are no such things as show plates. If a car is registered then it is registered everywhere, on the road or off. Wherever your car is it must display the proper registration, you can be nicked for this even on a show ground while winning a prize.

yeah u can get 30pound fine and more if they want to be funny

The maximum penalty (and if you get reported for this more than three times you automatically get the maximum penalty) is a £1000,00 fine, some points and withdrawal of the registration. That means re-registering your car and if you have modified it far enough away from its original design that will mean an SVA or VIC. My GF is a Paramedic and she has seen the Police ticketing people for this at the scenes of accidents they've just had so the law do care about it and will prosecute. According to our members who are Police officers there is currently a Europe-wide crackdown on this. Fairly soon the ANPR cameras will be able to tell the difference between black and white plates and later types and fines will then be issued automatically.

#28 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

I've been stopped twice for other things, (no arches, parking on someone elses drive :D ) both times with the black and silver plates on an '89 car, they never mentioned it. Saying that, I now have the legal type just to be on the safe side.

#29 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

Hmm.. I saw a black 08 Bini with black and silver plates yesterday.. Looked tasty but I bet it's a pain being pulled over all the time..

#30 Ash17

Ash17

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Yeah i work near St Johns Wood in London and there are lots of new cars with them, dont blame them really they look very nice and i thought about getting some till i found it was illegal for my car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users