998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hey,

Story starts that at the start of the year myself and my gf split up, she took Maisie, and I kept Molly, (Blue and Red Mayfair's respectively).
Anyway, 4 months ago I started seeing a new girl, and when I first went to her house she had a dusty mini30 on the driveway.

Posted Image
I inquired as to the story, and it's hers, just needs some work, so being addicted to playing with mini's I set to finding out the problems, and soon wrote a list of things to do, including bypass hoses, (never changed one before), welding, brakes, etc, etc.

Posted Image
All the mechanical stuff was done first, that's easy, but then onto the welding, I found these holes showing sunlight through the boot, (with it's soaked interior), an easy start, I stripped the entire back end, and found more rust behind the arches, this wasn't looking good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Wanting to do a new job we cut them out, and made it good - both sides.

Posted Image
Then repairing the boot lip,

Posted Image
Posted Image

Repainting

Posted Image
Rebuilding

Posted Image
I think you'll agree it doesn't look too bad, first time I've had Halfords specially mixed paint give a really good match and good coverage.

#2 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Next job to tackle was the sills, now unfortunately I haven't any before shots, but both jacking point outer plates were rotten, and some of the surrounding metal.
I had a good poke around and the inner sill and floor all appeared fine, (one outer sill had a small patch before).
Posted Image

I decided to cut out the jacking points, clean up, and patch over the top, removing the jacking point from the car. (only ever use trolley jack's on subframes anyway). The a coat of primer to protect it all for now.

Drivers side;
Posted Image

Passengers side;
Posted Image

Both sides are now tidied up a bit more, and painted - photo's to follow.

Next jobs are to sort the last hole in the rear of the front arch, (has been previously repaired on the inside, but still open on the outside, so I'll clean up, and then undercoat the lot to protect it all.

Posted Image

Then top up the fluids, and see about an MOT.

#3 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

I've always had a soft spot for '30s, gotta be the best special edition ever made(awaits future comments). Looks good, does it need much mechanical for the ticket?

#4 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Oh yes, car was last seen with doors open to allow the paint to dry, and any fumes to clear, but still on axle stands to get access...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

I've always had a soft spot for '30s, gotta be the best special edition ever made(awaits future comments). Looks good, does it need much mechanical for the ticket?

Thanks Shifty >_<

Mechanical all done;

Brakes
The brakes were completely non-effective, and the handbrake just as bad, the same garage has been doing work and MOT's for the last three years, and doesn't appear to have understood how to adjust the rears as the adjusters were seized. I had to strip and rebuild all four corners, including replacing the adjusters and bleed nipples, but it's all spot on now.

Suspension
One rear shock ineffective, replaced the pair.

Cooling
Cooling wasn't good, in that it was leaking coolant everywhere, turned out to be the bypass hose, I've never replaced one before, (in 8 years of owning mini's), but it didn't take too long. I alsoc hecked engine mounts and steadies.

Timing and Mixture
Both appeared good when I checked them, gave the plugs and points a clean and left it be for now.

Chromework
Not strictly mechanical, but I've replaced the rear bumper, and one headlamp ring as they were seriously pitted, and looked horrible.

Also, it's got the wrong arches, so I'm trying to find a set of original cherry red mini 30 arches

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

With no jacking points, what happens when she gets a puncture in the middle of nowhere?

As for the arches - just paint them, that's all Rover did!

#7 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

With no jacking points, what happens when she gets a puncture in the middle of nowhere?

Lol, same as she'd do with jacking points, get the mobile out, and phone me or the AA!
She's not got the original jack anyway, and still has the subframes to jack on.

As for the arches - just paint them, that's all Rover did!

The ones I've seen, (on CharlieBrown's Mini 30), were much smoother then these on the outside.
I'm worried about getting the right finish, or the paint just flaking off.

Dave

#8 SurreySprite

SurreySprite

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

A lovely mini, 30's are one of my favourite special editions and i would love one myself one day. Is the interior all still as it was out of the factory?

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Plastic primer then high build primer and plenty of paint - will soon be smooth! I'm sure the Rover ones are exactly the same arches under the paint. I have painted the arches on both my cars and they do come out smoother. I can't remember whether we ran a sander over them a couple of times first though.

You could probably post a set of 4 arches to one of our resident painters to do - the arches are only around £20 a set to buy.

#10 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi Dave, nice to see the progress other than in the occasional email >_<

Good work and it looks great!

#11 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

Plastic primer then high build primer and plenty of paint - will soon be smooth! I'm sure the Rover ones are exactly the same arches under the paint. I have painted the arches on both my cars and they do come out smoother. I can't remember whether we ran a sander over them a couple of times first though.

You could probably post a set of 4 arches to one of our resident painters to do - the arches are only around £20 a set to buy.

I've a couple of spare arches, sure I can have a go at it!
Guess I'd be best to make sure it's clean first, and free of any polish, dirt, etc.

May have a go this weekend, and if it goes well do a full set.

Dave

#12 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

A lovely mini, 30's are one of my favourite special editions and i would love one myself one day. Is the interior all still as it was out of the factory?

Yes, the entire car is original, except the arches, spotlights and numberplate surrounds.

Dave

#13 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

Maybe you should have bought Charlies, you could have had his and hers matching '30s??

I'm no expert on painting plastic but I believe that you can get a "Plastiser" added to the paint to make it more flexible, same as is used for fibre-glass fronts.

#14 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hey,

I could have done, would have been a bit sad though? Plus I've already got the much more manly Molly, (features in one of the pictures above), to drive, and the two Hornet's still ongoing.

Plus I think someone else has bought Charlie's.

Dave

#15 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

hey fella, interested in this thread as ive just finished my mini 30!check my thread out.I would defo colour code the arches, will look way cooler and be more original spec, good luck chap, keep us updated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users