#16 pyromaniac_yeti

pyromaniac_yeti

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: none :(

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

the electrics is about the only thing i dont got problems with on the a series!!!

i did however notice that there was a turbo'd punto motor...

im not sure, ill realy have to look into engine options a bit better before i start hacking up bits of metal. ive got a while to plan anyway till the things back together.

#17 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

16v punto head on a series >_< its been done and im going to do it very soon :ermm: look on you tube theres one on there

#18 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Insurance wise, an engine conversion sets alarm bells ringing with most companies and it's never going to be able to beat tuning the stock engine. If it is cc's you're trying to cut out then the 1275cc or 998cc mirca conversion (that seems to be gaining popularity) might work for you. You could out a 998 in and when you get bored of it change the pistons, cams, crank and ecu and you'll have a 1275 as they use the same block.

But if you're trying to do something that's a bit different then go for it. If it were we I'd try and put the power I wanted (or thought I wanted) in if you were doing a conversion, because it'd be demoralising to have done a conversion and then be bored with the power and having to pull out the engine and mod / replace it. Just my 2 cents.

#19 woody78

woody78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

I'm just about to start this conversion myself. I bought a 1.2 16v engine and gearbox off ebay and it was delivered on tuesday. I'll be starting a thread on here soon when I load up all my pictures so far.

Reading through this I can see that a lot of people don't like the idea of going through the effort of doing an engine change for a small engine. But at the same time it's not really a lot of effort if you have an understanding of what you're doing. There's no need to extend the front, the engine looks like it will go in with minor modification to the subframe, the wiring is simple with the exception of the electronic speedo, and the engine itself is a lightweight lump which makes good power from standard and is very torquey from standard and as I will be porting the head and running a lively set of camshafts with bike throttle bodies and decent engine management so should make around 130bhp and still be a daily drive but with good acceleration. And as for putting in a huge engine like a redtop, it's all very well be they torque steer like mad and juicy as hell for a daily drive.

#20 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

woody78 i would like to follow your thread when you start it an doing this conversion is no diff to doing a micra conversion the gains must be a simaler sort of power if not i would have thought the punto engine would of had more being itilain

#21 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Problems with punto engines

1) Prone to head gasket failer
2) Prone to rocker cover oil leaks
3) Water pumps fail drastically
4) rocker cover oil leaks cause cam belt to fail
5) cam belts tentioners like to brake
6) punto gear box isn't that great made off chocolate and cheese
7) injectors like to clogg up
8) 16 valve heads need a spesh timing tool and you need to stop the "shimes" falling out

thats about it to be honest every problem ive ever incounted on a fait punto :P i used to work for a garage what did alot work with fait's

Edited by Stevee, 06 August 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#22 woody78

woody78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

I work for a automotive engineering company skimming heads and pressure testing and general reconditioning as well as a lot of performance bits. And to be honest I do pressure test and skim a lot of these fiat heads because they have been cooked up but generally see more 8v heads than 16v. So I am well aware of the problems with them, but you can pick holes in any engine to be honest. For example a lot of people on here I have seen using the K Series engines, which are especially prone to overheating and warping the heads and I would say on average I pressure test and skim at least one every other day.
So anyway most of those listed problems aren't much of an issue with a well maintained engine and as for the injectors clogging up, i'll be using the fuel rail off of the bike throttle bodies. I'm also looking into the 6 speed box just for the novelty really, not sure if its any stronger but mainly if it is any bigger?
The water pumps are a load of sh!te though but I will just replace the one on the engine with a new one and hope for the best...

The engine I have is from a mk1 punto and produces 86bhp and 113Nm of torque standard. I'll start up the thread soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users