Attached Files

#18 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

I did use 2K paint, which is 2-pack but with laquer already in the top coat.

I used a Mask that i got from trago which had filters for 2-Pack paint with them. The mask cost around £20.

DO NOT SPRAY 2K WITHOUT A MASK. I tried it and fell over from the chemicals. :angel:

This can also give you instant ashma and respitory problems, as i later found out.

#19 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

My dad says yellow is difficult to paint cars, harder than metallic. is this correct :angel:

I chose yellow because i thought tahiti blue was hard, and got to like yellow.

#20 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Yellow is hard to spray because it is translusent , it does not cover well so you end up building up a greater thickness and then get runs and sags , with yellow you can cover it all , get a good shine , take it out into the sun and see shadows over all the repairs :gasp:
I would sugest paying someone to do the topcoat for you , if you can find someone to do it as a foriener even better , it will save you in paint and materials and hire on compressor ,spraygun ETC
primer can be sprayed from spray tins , think like this , if you buy the paint and *male chicken* it up you will have to buy more .
at my Body/spray shop we would put it in the booth and spray it (if you do all the striping/prep/masking) for £150

#21 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

a foriener

a what? a foreigner?! :angel:

I would've thought that enough thin layers of yellow would be fine! If pro's can do you it, you can. Just take your time and do it properly. :cool:

#22 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

I have a compressor etc. So yellow is hard with a compressor too?

There goes yellow.

Difficulty level for tahiti blue? or BRG?

#23 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

I would've thought that enough thin layers of yellow would be fine! If pro's can do you it, you can. Just take your time and do it properly. :cool:

Yea ,just take your time , about the 3rd year of your apprenticeship as a paint sprayer should do it , :angel:
remember , many spray-paint related products are "for profesional use only" for a very good reason :gasp:
we even have to have an expensive contract to remove empty paint tins (if they get sent to a landfill site it is polution/contamination and rewarded with a HUGE fine)
if you are spraying 2K you will need an "air fed mask" and an oil free compressor to run it

#24 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

I just thought that the whole point of doing it yourself was to get some experience and satisfaction and to save a bit of money. Unless you're building a concours mini then it's not the end of the world if it's not perfect. I'd try anything myself first before letting someone else do it! i regard that as something to fall back on.

But that's just me.

#25 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

i know you use airfed masks, but isnt that because your in a sealed booth? i had no real problems with spraying yellow, fair enough its not a great job but next time i come to blow it over or give it a new colour i will be that little bit more experienced.

I say try it, its good fun over anything else :angel:

#26 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

plus its nice to see your own handiwork, and say 'i did that myself' rather than 'yeah i paid someone to do it'.

Time and preparation are the key to a good paint job I reckon.

#27 mini_sam

mini_sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

coool, i will have to have a go at it myself. one more question though, what sort of compressor and gun should you use? thanks :lol:

#28 71 1275

71 1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:45 AM

This is all very interesting as i'm just prepping my yellow mini for a repaint, and i'm having the same thoughts about whether to paint it myself, or prep it up in primer and trundle it down the paintshop for the topcoat. I'm currently erring towards the paintshop route, as they can 2-pack the topcoat on in no time with a gloss finish straight from the gun, otherwise i'm faced with cellulose at home which means weeks of coating, flatting, coating, flatting, which is great if you have the time, but i want to be out driving it, so am happy to save all that time and hand over to the bodyshop for the topcoat, leaving me to do the refit, which is an enjoyable stage in itself.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users