#1 Sagey

Sagey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

As some might know my car will be wrote off..
Im with adrian flux and the equity insurance, 3rd party fire theft.

If i can prove it was the other persons fault and i get paid out, will i get to keep my car?
i will be swappin my lights back and some otherstuff which wont make a difference. but would it be worth buyin back my car after if they take it for part, i have just had a recon engine put in aswell!

any help is welcome..

chris

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

It depends on what they categorise it as in terms of the damage.

If its a Category 'A' or 'B' then unfortunately the car will have to be taken by a registered salvage agent, but they can't take it without your permission, so if the car is at home then you may be able to negotiate when they take it, but eventually it will have to be taken. If, however, it is in a salvage yard then you may really struggle to get it back at all.

If its a Category 'C' or 'D' then it will be classed as repairable and you will be able to arrange with the insurance to either buy it back or keep it, depending on what the total cost of the claim is etc.

That is as I understand it anyway, having been through the process of trying to keep a Category 'B' car recently.

Tom

#3 Sagey

Sagey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

It depends on what they categorise it as in terms of the damage.

If its a Category 'A' or 'B' then unfortunately the car will have to be taken by a registered salvage agent, but they can't take it without your permission, so if the car is at home then you may be able to negotiate when they take it, but eventually it will have to be taken. If, however, it is in a salvage yard then you may really struggle to get it back at all.

If its a Category 'C' or 'D' then it will be classed as repairable and you will be able to arrange with the insurance to either buy it back or keep it, depending on what the total cost of the claim is etc.

That is as I understand it anyway, having been through the process of trying to keep a Category 'B' car recently.

Tom

Cool gives me indication of what might happen.

In this case, is this possible, i no its not repairable, but if i dont get paid somehow if its proven to be my fault which it wasnt. what happens then, surely they cant just take it off me..
obviously if i get paid then i can afford my project alot easier and wont need to try and keep as much as possible off my car.
im not worried about any of the body but things like the rear subframe, suspension, engine would be nice and exshaust would be nice if i keep it.

otherwise shall i change things like exshaust to a pee shooter if possible and just bare some stuff being taken...

hope i make sence.

chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users