#1 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Local Club: my own SPECIAL one!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

I would like to inject my 998 and after some research it appears going down the "wet manifold" route would be best.

I am still to finalise what parts would be necessary to do this.
I have made a list of parts that I think I will need but just need a shove in the right direction to be honest.

SPI cam
Injection setup manifold etc.
SPI tank (preferably)
Rover MEMS ECU

Would it be easier to acquire a loom from an SPI and would I be able to keep the existing 998 head?
Is there anything else that I have blatantly missed?

#2 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: South West Mini's

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Take a look here - LINK

#3 AzMaN

AzMaN

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

that system, can it be used on say a 1380? or is it 998 only (i read the article in miniworld where they showed you how to install it)

#4 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Have a good look around the site, I believe they are claiming around 140+bhp from a 1380 :shifty:

#5 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

Very interesting - considering this with my 998 engine.

#6 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

Found it - LINK

Check out the YouTube link at the bottom of the page :shifty:

#7 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

Oh yes I have looked into the Canems systems, but to be honest it is very expensive for an MPI setup on a 998.

Don't forget you will need all the MPI parts which the plastic throttle body is naff, it doesn't incorporate a stepper motor so you have to fit a PWM idle valve in an ideal situation that is what I would like to do but I can't just justify the expense if that all makes sense.

#8 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

that system, can it be used on say a 1380? or is it 998 only (i read the article in miniworld where they showed you how to install it)

As it is a mappable ignition and fueling system it will work with any a-series engine regardless of the cubic capacity, you will just need the correct map which in theory shouldn't be too hard to obtain.

#9 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Think they are looking into a complete package deal and most of what they use is second hand/scrapyard items from MPi's.

Best talk more about it to them if your interested. :shifty:

#10 AzMaN

AzMaN

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

omg im drooling here, i want i want!!!!! now all i need to do is save up,.

#11 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

Now a package deal would be good, especially if they threw in a trigger wheel as well.

#12 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

Think it was all mentions in MiniWorld :shifty:

#13 johngreenclubby

johngreenclubby

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local Club: trent valley m.o.c

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Have a good look around the site, I believe they are claiming around 140+bhp from a 1380 :shifty:

johngreenclubby-Oct 19th 2008
Hi, yes they are claiming 140bhp from a injected 1380, its running on bike throttle bodies on a home made manifold, with the Canems ECU, it was tested on the same rollers as previously when the ignition only ECU was being used, and showed a 6hp gain at the top end, BUT a massive gain of 14+ HP&torque at 5250rpm. It was also run on the track at Elvington on a sprint in August 08 & set a new class record with ignition only ECU and then run again in September 08 on the same track and set another class record by almost a full second! Not only once did it beat the previous record but 5 times out of 6 runs.
How do I know all this? it is my car! Everybody says that you can`t get big power from injection on a 5 port head, look on www.canems.co.uk for the full spec and video etc

#14 South West Minis

South West Minis

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hats off to you fella, great Mini and a man for us all to refer to on this subject :shifty:

#15 iansmini

iansmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

johngreenclubby-Oct 19th 2008
Hi, yes they are claiming 140bhp from a injected 1380, its running on bike throttle bodies on a home made manifold, with the Canems ECU, it was tested on the same rollers as previously when the ignition only ECU was being used, and showed a 6hp gain at the top end, BUT a massive gain of 14+ HP&torque at 5250rpm. It was also run on the track at Elvington on a sprint in August 08 & set a new class record with ignition only ECU and then run again in September 08 on the same track and set another class record by almost a full second! Not only once did it beat the previous record but 5 times out of 6 runs.
How do I know all this? it is my car! Everybody says that you can`t get big power from injection on a 5 port head, look on www.canems.co.uk for the full spec and video etc

It does sound very impressive, I can't help but think the SPI setup will be far more forgiving, unless I require an SPI head which requires engine out block pocketed hmmm although perhaps easier, the costs will work out the same?

I shall have to do some maths me thinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users