4 replies to this topic

#1 clord1000

clord1000

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

My heat from my mini has just stopped working all i'm gettin is blasts of cold air and i just wonder if anyone knows what i should be looking at to fix it?

Cheers

Hmm does anyone know or have an idea? i know some people on here that are pretty sharp so someone must have an idea i'm freezin not to mention gettin steamed up so i can't see?

Edited by clord1000, 20 October 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#2 BLUE ITALIAN JOB

BLUE ITALIAN JOB

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: thames valley

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:32 AM

have you checked the water level ? the heater is the first thing to show up if you are low on water , leave it to long and it will start to overheat the engine ,
if you have just turned it back on after our wonderful hot summer !!!! check the heater tap/valve has moved to open and not just bent the control wire/cable
if levels are good start the car and let it get to mormal temp , feel the hoses the feed the heater - with heater tap open the hoses should be quite hot , if they are cold you have no flow thru the heater ,
poss causes , tap blocked after summer shut off , hoses blocked or the heater matrix is blocked - depends on you car but you can somtimes swap the two hoses over to reverse the flow and clear any light blockages , as the heater is low in the heating/water system any crud in the waterways can and does find its lowest point - the heater .
for a heavy blockage you could try connecting a garden hose to the heater hose and give it a blast but it is messy ..if it comes out with brown dirty water keep going till the water is clear , give the system a dose of rad flush and then a good mix of antifreeze to help stop any further build ups of grime

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:38 AM

Great advice - the thermostat stuck open is another possible cause.

#4 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

Also when topping the Rad up make sure you let it bleed off----- I left rad cap off with engine running, heater on (fans blowing) for fifteen minutes to get rid of any air locks, also a good squeeze of the pipes too!

Oh and dont make the mistake i did after my carb mini, SPi's is heater tap OUT for hot IN for cold, I scratched my head for ages trying to get heat out of the heater with the heater valve turned off!!!!!!

#5 clord1000

clord1000

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

Cheers guys all the advice sounds awesome i will have a go asap probably have to look after work, will post back if i have any luck..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users