9 replies to this topic

#1 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:09 PM

Well the mini has been off the road a few weeks now and i'm making steady progress, its funny just as i finish one job another one crops up, oh well its got to be back on the road for the end of august as we are using it to go on holiday and can't fit all our gear in the daily driver (fiat bravo).

here's a few pics of what i've done so far.

This was yesterdays project, been bad for a while but was bodged with filler to get it through last years mot.
Posted Image

Posted Image

New panel was cut into and fitted from the back so that the front can be skimmed with a light coat of filler to get it flat and smooth.
Posted Image

This is as far as i got, primered and ready for filling.
Posted Image

here's a pic of the fuel tank side of the boot floor, it looks a lot worse than it is really.
Posted Image]

Subrame to body mounting point looks pretty bad!!!
Posted Image

Inner arch cut out and ready for replacement.
Posted Image

New arch and bootfloor section welded in place, not the prettiest job in the world but very strong and when the boot board and tank cover is on you'd never know.
Posted Image

Drivers side was just as bad here's a pic with the inner arch about to be fitted.
Posted Image

Here's the finished arcticle awaiting a coat of seam sealer and then a top coat of paint. Looks a vast improvement and not bad for 3 days work for the whole boot floor and arches.
Posted Image

#2 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

Good on you philster....for doing the work yourself!!!

Have to admit quite a bit of rust there....a bit precarious in some places!!! :angel:

Well done!!!

#3 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:23 PM

yeah good work!

Nice parcel shelf by the way!

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

thats good work philster, my clubman is in very much the same state

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:11 AM

That's enough rust to scare all but the most hardened miniphiles.... I've seen better in the scrappy, but, another one saved !

Well Done :angel:

#6 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

:fear: good work phil :angel:

#7 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

Nice parcel shelf by the way!

Its been in the car for ages, it doesn't even have 6x9's in it but never got around to changing it, i've always liked the flush speakers it makes it look so much better. I'm gonna fit a pair of cheap speakers for a bit of rear fill for when i have people in the back.

I've seen better in the scrappy

lol, yeah i never realised how bad it was just kept scraping it through the mot and meaning to do things but never getting round to it, funnily enough the roof and gutter are like new (the few bits on a mini that are really hard to change) so i thought it would be a shame to scrap it.

Lots planned too, got all the old ice taken out, gonna respray the amps and just give everything a once over before re-installing, will be putting sub mounted free air still and placing amps in a false floor and all trimmed in black vinyl, was thinking of doing the amps in orange to match the paint (when i get around to respraying). Also gonna put new rear carpet in and new rear cards aswell and i may even get around to installing the pc i've had lying around for ages!
Will keep this updated as i go, next job will probably be the bottom of the rear quarter panel and then the passenger side floor pan.

#8 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:13 PM

Why is there a masive hole in the rear bench?

#9 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

The big circular hole is for the sub, when its all refitted the sub will possibly be in the same place althought i'm thinking of doing domething a little more radical when funds allow.

This is how it looked a while back (sub not been fitted for over a year now)

Posted Image

#10 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:43 PM

Done a bit more today, had hoped to get both sides welded but nothing ever goes to plan, had a lot of trouble with bichumen running dwon into the weld which made things difficult but after a major tantrum and putting the hammer down i got it sorted, the outer just needs a skim with filler to get it looking pretty.
The inner panel i had to make myself (because you can't buy it) and this will be covered with black vinyl when finished.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users