#1 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

Hi all,

decided to start a new thread. A little background, i bought this a '92 SPi with a claimed JCW included. At that time, i loved it so much that i bought it without verifying the specs. Now that I'm trying to understand whats going on a little more (beyond changing alternators, engine oil, rust etc etc), this question popped into my head.

What's in a JCW? Is there a website or book that tells me whats included in the full works?

Anyway i can verify if my mini is indeed a JCW with ease? I'm not a trained mechanic so its tough for me beyond a certain stage of tinkering.

Anyhelp's much appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

If your car is indeed a JCW (John Cooper Works) conversion then the most obvious identifying feature is the identification plaque, which should be riveted to the cross member between the drivers seat and the drivers door. It should bear the Cooper Garages logo and a unique conversion number. If you haven't got this, then you could try contacting Classic Minis who are the splinter company formed from the old John Cooper Garages (who no longer deal with real Minis), and they may be able to check the VIN number of your car against their records.

The other typical features of the JCW Minis, such as works decals, signed door furniture, 'si' boot badge, engine kits, etc, can all be purchased without having a JCW conversion done, so are not a guaranteed means of identifying a genuine JCW converted Cooper.

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users