19 replies to this topic

#1 fatboy-rdt

fatboy-rdt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

After quite some time and money, my mini finally made it through its MOT...so onto the issue of Insurance.
2 options...insure it as my daily driver with my current insurer and ditch my current run-around.....or......insure it as a 2nd car.
Spoke with my broker who said my current insurer would touch it becuase of the stage 1 kit, then found me a quote after 3 days of £1400!! (I should explain that I am 24 and 3 months ago had a freak accident with the back end of another car whilst driving home from work in my now scrapped Seat Leon) Despite recent events, I was not impressed with such a high quote since this is the only accident I have ever had and I have a perfectly clean driving record!!

So onto Hagerty for a quote for 2nd car insurance. Fully comp, valued at £4000 with limited mileage of 5000 miles having declared absolutely everything..........

*drum roll*

£212.52

I thought he was joking!!!

Apparently not and I will now be taxing the mini 1st thing tomorrow morning and out for a drive for the 1st time in over a year!!

GOD BLESS YOU HAGERTY!!

:xxx:

#2 phil_clubman

phil_clubman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

thats well good. i wish my insurance was that cheap.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

I have the TVR insured with them (£600 @ 23), but even without the incredibly low prices they have to be THE best insurance company I've ever dealt with, very friendly indeed.

#4 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

They also give out excellent freebie bags which are perfect for carrying large amounts of booze home from the supermarket. :xxx:

#5 Mini_the_Minx

Mini_the_Minx

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

It says they only insure it if its not an everyday drive????

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

This is true, which is how they give out such cheap premiums.

#7 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

It's classic car insurance. 's'not like your everyday inshoorants. There are a few more quid pro quos for cheap-as-chips protection for valuable cars. For example, Footman James says:

The vehicle is over 15 years of age <LI>The vehicle must be garaged at night <LI>The vehicle is being used for social domestic and pleasure (including commuting) only <LI>The vehicle has not been modified from the manufacturer's standard specification <LI>The vehicle is not a grey or parallel import including US imports <LI>The vehicle is not valued at more than £50,000 <LI>The vehicle is not a van, pickup, Motor Home or any other commercial vehicle <LI>All drivers hold a Full UK or EU driving licence and have done so for a minimum of 5 years <LI>No drivers have made any claims or had any accidents in the past 3 years <LI>All drivers must be aged between 25 and 74 <LI>No driver has more than one fixed penalty speeding conviction <LI>UK post codes only (excluding Northern Ireland) <LI>The vehicle is owned and registered to yourself <LI>No driver is employed in any of the following occupations:
  • Entertainment, Radio or TV presenter
  • Celebrity
  • General Dealers
  • Courier or Delivery drivers
  • Debt collectors
  • Money lender
  • Professional Sports persons
  • Unemployed persons

#8 shedonwheels

shedonwheels

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

b]No driver is employed[/b] in any of the following occupations:

• Celebrity
  • General Dealers
  • Debt collectors
  • Money lender
  • Unemployed persons

What a random list! I was listening to radio 1 on way to work t'utha day and Chris Moyles said that even his sister has to pay a higher premium because she's related to a 'celebrity'! Can maybe understand Debt Collectors- their car might get vandalised by an angry customer or Delivery drivers due to the high miles and usage and random parking etc. But Professional Sports persons?! In case your car gets hit by sports equipment maybe? What if you're an Olympic Tiddly Winks player,how is that risky?!

Will def be giving Hagerty a ring when my renewal is up in *counts fingers* 8 months :D

#9 jammiedodger26

jammiedodger26

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

No modifications though??? That sounds pretty limiting!

#10 latestarter2

latestarter2

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: Blakehill Minis

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

Went through Herts.....with stage 1 kit a sportspack arches etc 1275 cooper £155.00 fully comp

Result !!!

#11 millermilla

millermilla

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Local Club: BMC Brighton Mini Club

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

Big thumbs up to Hagerty here. Just insured my ERA with them, Fully Comp, Agreed Valuation £7000, 3000 limited miles, Breakdown cover etc only £135!!!!! Cheapest next quote was Adrian Flux at £235 then HIC at £249.

#12 katanajim

katanajim

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local Club: London & surrey

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

wow these guys are really good - just got a further £20 off the footman james price i paid last year!

nice one

#13 fatboy-rdt

fatboy-rdt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

wow these guys are really good - just got a further £20 off the footman james price i paid last year!

nice one

Glad to hear other people are making use of them!
I even got the paperwork through the day later, just in time to tax it on the Saturday morning!!

#14 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Just thought I'd dig this back up as I just phoned them about my renewal, they are very friendly and so cheap! My Mini only needs laid up insurance at the mo which they aren't the cheapest for, but methinks I will be phoning them back in spring when it goes back on the road :thumbsup:

Also when they asked if I was member of a club I said no but mentioned TMF and he asked if he'd spoken to me already, I said no but I think you may have spoken to a few of us as there's been a very complimentary thread about you on the forum this week! :D

#15 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

It's classic car insurance. 's'not like your everyday inshoorants. There are a few more quid pro quos for cheap-as-chips protection for valuable cars. For example, Footman James says:

The vehicle is over 15 years of age <LI>The vehicle must be garaged at night <LI>The vehicle is being used for social domestic and pleasure (including commuting) only <LI>The vehicle has not been modified from the manufacturer's standard specification <LI>The vehicle is not a grey or parallel import including US imports <LI>The vehicle is not valued at more than £50,000 <LI>The vehicle is not a van, pickup, Motor Home or any other commercial vehicle <LI>All drivers hold a Full UK or EU driving licence and have done so for a minimum of 5 years <LI>No drivers have made any claims or had any accidents in the past 3 years <LI>All drivers must be aged between 25 and 74 <LI>No driver has more than one fixed penalty speeding conviction <LI>UK post codes only (excluding Northern Ireland) <LI>The vehicle is owned and registered to yourself <LI>No driver is employed in any of the following occupations:
  • Celebrity
  • General Dealers
  • Debt collectors
  • Money lender
  • Unemployed persons

lol well they're contradicting themselves by insuring me! I don't have a garage, its used everyday, its modified, i've only been driving a year, im 17 and my dads on my insurance and he has more than one speeding conviction!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users