7 replies to this topic

#1 zippy.mini

zippy.mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

I'm looking at purchasing these as a way of converting my 12" disk setup to 10":
https://www.plminish...-MSLMS01PL.html

Reckon they'd give better stopping power than the standard conversion kits and with car having a supercharger I think I'll need it. If anyone has these and can comment, I would be interested.

Question is, do the 7.9" disks limit the number of 10" wheels you can fit? I want to run some 10x6 deep dish style wheels - ultralite or similar. Does anyone know if they will fit over these?

Thanks

#2 Snakeii

Snakeii

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: Turbo minis

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

it limits the amount of wheels conciderably, to be honest 7.5" is enough to stop you just go for 7.5" people use standard cooper s setup with big power turbo cars..

#3 andybmini

andybmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:42 AM

Or get Kad 7.75's!

#4 zippy.mini

zippy.mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at the Fiesta option, but finding parts is proving difficult. That uses the 7.9" disk too and everyone is raving about this option being great for converting to 10" wheels - I would have thought if it limits the wheels you can buy too much, it wouldn't be so popular. Because of the parts issue, I was just going to buy a kit from somewhere, to convert to 7.5" but the price of these is high. The option above is a good price for 4 pots, which is why I was looking at it.

From the reply above, I went to have a look at the KAD website and found the following:
"Most of the modern pattern wheels (Minilite, Minilife, GB alloy, 100+, Spectrum, MB Racing, Revolution, Revolite etc) have sufficient clearance for the 7.9" disc to be used which non standard size achieved by machining down an 8.4" (part GDB 90806) 12" wheel disc. This mounts to the late type Mini drive flange (21A 2695).
The Cooper S steel and reverse rim 10" wheels, Mamba and Magnesium Minilite must use the smaller disc size (7.5) which can be either the 8.4" disc machined down with late flange or Cooper S disc and flange (with our 'S' fitting kit of spacer washers and longer bolts). Many older types of wheel fall into this category also and in some cases wheel spacers must be added as these wheels were often initially produced to fit over drum brakes."

This seems to suggest that using 7.9" disks doesn't limit it too much, it just means that I can't use older wheels, which is fine.

Maybe this thread should be in a different part of the forum, I wasn't sure when I wrote it to start with. Mods, could you please move it to it's more rightful place please?

If anyone is running a nice set of deep dish 10x6 wheels over 7.9" disks I'd love to hear from you.

#5 andybmini

andybmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

It's possible, KAD do a template you can download to test in the wheels for their setup.

However AFAIK it's not so much the discs that can be a problem but the Calipers, therefore one 7.9 setup may fit, another may not.

#6 coshy131

coshy131

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Im running 7.9" grooved/vented discs with the alloy 4 pot calipers from mini-sport.

With genuine 10x6 minilites aswel,

They fit, just, however its such a tight fit you cannot run wheel balancing weights on the inside and the calipers have slightly rubbed on the wheels, not really a problem but it was a tight fit, hope this helps :))

Also i was wandering if anyone knew if 10x6 weller wheels would fit over the disc set-up (thinking of buying a set to run as winter wheels with sensible tyres ;-)

Cheers Tim

#7 coshy131

coshy131

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Im running 7.9" grooved/vented discs with the alloy 4 pot calipers from mini-sport.

With genuine 10x6 minilites aswel,

They fit, just, however its such a tight fit you cannot run wheel balancing weights on the inside and the calipers have slightly rubbed on the wheels, not really a problem but it was a tight fit, hope this helps :))

Also i was wandering if anyone knew if 10x6 weller wheels would fit over the disc set-up (thinking of buying a set to run as winter wheels with sensible tyres ;-)

Cheers Tim

#8 zippy.mini

zippy.mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

I emailed plminis to find out if this set would fit under 10x6 ultralites and the answer was unfortunately no.

The Ultralites and Mamba's are the only wheels that they know won't fit over this set though, which is good, but typical bad luck for me!

Anyone know of any other nice deep dish 10x6 wheels that would fit? (Possibly with a silver rim and black middle although that's not completely decided on yet!)

I guess I'll have to rethink the brake conversion otherwise...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users