#1 loz_16-

loz_16-

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

Hello all!

We have just bought a 1992 Mini City 1000cc (Cooper look a likey) and have a few questions if you dont mind please?

1) Where is the best place to source good quality arches for the SportsPack look?
2) As above but for the SPack alloys too?
3) What engine oil should we be running with?
4) Is it possible to install a HID kit to the headlights? is the wiring etc up to this?

If you could point us in the right direction, we really appreciate it!

Many thanks

Paul & Rachel :D

#2 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

new genuine sportpack arches are hard to get hold of but i think minispares possibily is remaking them as per the originals. aftermarket ones can be an pain to fit and you cannot always guarantee they fit properly and look OK.

i think places like huddersfield minis and MWS sell 6x13 replicas but ebay always has sets of genuine ones for sale. bear in mind that you have 998 and 6x13's are mucher heavier wheels. this will effect engine performance due to weight and extra drag. you'll also need to cut the front arches to stop the tyres catching. the tyres will also rub the inner arch on full lock. also, you will need to make sure the suspesnion is tiptop to cope with the extra wheel weight. also expect the handling to suffer unless you get everything set up corectly. i personal would only go with 13's if all the suspension was fully adjustable

regular mini oil should be a decent brand 20/50 - duckhams is easily available. use mineral only rather than semi or fully synthetic

can't comment on fitting a HID kit but doing a halogen conversion would be simpler and provide more than adequate lighting. cheaper too i expect

Edited by maph2, 21 November 2008 - 03:32 PM.

#3 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

new genuine sportpack arches are hard to get hold of but i think minispares possibily is remaking them as per the originals. aftermarket ones can be an pain to fit and you cannot always guarantee they fit properly and look OK.

i think places like huddersfield minis and MWS sell 6x13 replicas but ebay always has sets of genuine ones for sale. bear in mind that you have 998 and 6x13's are mucher heavier wheels. this will effect engine performance due to weight and extra drag. you'll also need to cut the front arches to stop the tyres catching. the tyres will also rub the inner arch on full lock. also, you will need to make sure the suspesnion is tiptop to cope with the extra wheel weight. also expect the handling to suffer unless you get everything set up corectly. i personal would only go with 13's if all the suspension was fully adjustable

regular mini oil should be a decent brand 20/50 - duckhams is easily available. use mineral only rather than semi or fully synthetic

can't comment on fitting a HID kit but doing a halogen conversion would be simpler and provide more than adequate lighting. cheaper too i expect

Got it in one.

#4 rozzer1275

rozzer1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Local Club: ah

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

mini spares sell genuine rover speedline sportspack wheel but they are a lot of cash.
I did not have a problem with the sportspack wheel rubbing the inner wing/arch on full lock so i did not need to restrict the steering rack, might be because of my extra camber.

#5 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Bodge Speed Racing

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a Mini : )

Re 1 & 2 - as per previous advice only a bit stronger - I definitely wouldn't bother.
Your '92 City won't cope well and IMHO you'll enjoy the car much more with 12" minilites on decent tyres. (eBay, £50-150)
You're better off spending the money on a stage one kit (performance air filter, manifold, exhaust and needle) to get a bit more
bang for your buck.

Can't agree with previous advice about 3:
For a '92 Mini with a standard 998 you will be far better off with 15w/40 and synthetic is far better than mineral for your engine.
Engine lubricant is one of the very last products to be extracted from a barrel of oil and it's made from what's left over.
They even skim the last few petro-chems to make Vaseline before they give over the dregs to engine lube.
Synthetic is vastly superior as a lubricant and 15w/40 is perfect for an older, smallish engine.
Halfords is as good as any other - don't waste your money on a branded oil as you Mini will slowly leak it all over the road anyway. (They all do it).
And when you get to Halfords don't be tempted by the 'retro' oil tin with a picture of a Mini on it.

4) HID conversions are illegal in all circumstances and will always cause you to fail the MOT - no exceptions and worth three points if you get pulled.
Go for halogens from any of the standard suppliers (Minispares, MiniSport etc.,).

Last word - I'd spend a few weeks with your new purchase and cruise this forum a lot before you make
any big decisions about arches, wheels, stage one kits or anything else. There is so much knowledge and help available here.
Check out the styling section - you may find yourself going for the MK1 matt black look before you know it...

Best wishes
Monty

#6 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

• Traders
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

Re 1 & 2 - as per previous advice only a bit stronger - I definitely wouldn't bother.
Your '92 City won't cope well and IMHO you'll enjoy the car much more with 12" minilites on decent tyres. (eBay, £50-150)
You're better off spending the money on a stage one kit (performance air filter, manifold, exhaust and needle) to get a bit more
bang for your buck.

For a '92 Mini with a standard 998 you will be far better off with 15w/40 and synthetic is far better than mineral for your engine.
Engine lubricant is one of the very last products to be extracted from a barrel of oil and it's made from what's left over.
They even skim the last few petro-chems to make Vaseline before they give over the dregs to engine lube.
Synthetic is vastly superior as a lubricant and 15w/40 is perfect for an older, smallish engine.
Halfords is as good as any other - don't waste your money on a branded oil as you Mini will slowly leak it all over the road anyway. (They all do it).
And when you get to Halfords don't be tempted by the 'retro' oil tin with a picture of a Mini on it.

4) HID conversions are illegal in all circumstances and will always cause you to fail the MOT - no exceptions and worth three points if you get pulled.
Go for halogens from any of the standard suppliers (Minispares, MiniSport etc.,).

Last word - I'd spend a few weeks with your new purchase and cruise this forum a lot before you make
any big decisions about arches, wheels, stage one kits or anything else. There is so much knowledge and help available here.
Check out the styling section - you may find yourself going for the MK1 matt black look before you know it...

Best wishes
Monty

#7 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

• Traders
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

bang for your buck.

Best wishes
Monty

#8 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

• Traders
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

Don't ask me why this posted itself three times...
You'll have to ask Bill Gates about that one.

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

Synthetic oil is also bad news for a Minis baulk ring synchromesh gearbox.

That's why most owners recommend a Mineral 20W/50 oil instead because it's been tried and proven over and over again.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

That's why most owners recommend a Mineral 20W/50 oil instead because it's been tried and proven over and over again.

20/50 all the way

As already said 12" rims would be best.

Good luck!!!

#11 MiniMonty

MiniMonty

• Traders
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

We're splitting hairs.
20/50 mineral is fine and will do no harm - but I find the 15/40 synthetic to be much, much better.

If the original poster is still reading please rest assured that either lubricant will be absolutely fine
in your Mini.

Try both over a period and make your own decision.

One thing we will both agree upon is that it's a good idea to check your oil level regularly because Minis
like to leak whatever kind of oil you put into them - and without any, it will all go horribly wrong.

Like a pet that you have to feed, oil and water your Mini regularly ! : )

Best wishes
Monty

#12 john1.2pearl

john1.2pearl

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

agreed ^^ :thumbsup: Most if not every big engine and gearbox builder will recomend a MINERAL oil NOT a semi or fully synthetic oil, some say use 15w/40, some say use 20w/50 but as long as its in mineral form it will be fine ! im using millers 20w/50 just because thats the stuff ive always used, people will recomend Duckhams, Halfords, Millers and so forth as its all down to personal preference >_<

#13 tnewson

tnewson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

I just bought a '92 mini city too cooper look alike too :thumbsup: !

Went onto the castrol website and it said to me to buy 10W-40 A3/B3 so i just went to halfords and bought some of that..

i know im not experienced in the field buy i was going to buy loads of nick nacks but decided to just change the plugs, ht leads and air filter..That made a really big difference! If you car hasnt been serviced dont try to improve performance just yet... make sure the engine runs sweet as standard.

Cheers

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

I just bought a '92 mini city too cooper look alike too :dontgetit: !

Went onto the castrol website and it said to me to buy 10W-40 A3/B3 so i just went to halfords and bought some of that..

i know im not experienced in the field buy i was going to buy loads of nick nacks but decided to just change the plugs, ht leads and air filter..That made a really big difference! If you car hasnt been serviced dont try to improve performance just yet... make sure the engine runs sweet as standard.

Cheers

Pity you hadn't invested in a can of their Classic 20W/50 oil that has a picture of a Mini on the front.

Edited by taffy1967, 23 November 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#15 loz_16-

loz_16-

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi guys and gals!

Many. many thanks for the replies and info.
The HT leads/oil/filter are all in good order as the car has low miles and has been seviced recently :wacko:

As for the oil grade/type I will look into this further, there seems to be alot of opinions out there LOL!!

With regards to the SP arches etc etc I've been looking into this and to be honest I think I'll whip off the 12 MLites that are on the car at present and refurb them, sand them down and prime/paint them would be a good bet I think, with new centre caps etc.

Arch-wise, might go the 'Matt' look as mentioned to keep the car looking clean and slightly more different as there are quite a few SPack look mini round where we are! (have had quite a few people waving!!! :dontgetit:)

Its great owning this little piece of history which everyone just seems to love! people smile and wave all the time!

I'll carry out the work as and when I can get the keys off Mrs Loz though!!! :0

First on the list will be to pop some new pads/shoes on and tidy the car up slightly, tiny bits of rust on the bottom of the wings etc the ususal suspects!
New gear knob/dash/mats etc

Thanks again all

Loz and Mrs Loz :genius:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users