25 replies to this topic

#1 Tifferrobinson

Tifferrobinson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

I have a 1992 Mini City E and it was broken into the other night, and the steering column had been pulled out of its bracket to the side in an attempt (so the fairly useless guy from forensics told me) to disable the steering lock. In then end the mean man just left me with a broken window and about 15 quids worth of tools missing (oh and the gearstick knob)

I put the key in and started the car and apart from having to re-tighten the steering column to where I like it to be there is no problem (that wasn't there before the mean man came). Are mini's hard to hotwire? Why did he give up?

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

I have a 1992 Mini City E and it was broken into the other night, and the steering column had been pulled out of its bracket to the side in an attempt (so the fairly useless guy from forensics told me) to disable the steering lock. In then end the mean man just left me with a broken window and about 15 quids worth of tools missing (oh and the gearstick knob)

I put the key in and started the car and apart from having to re-tighten the steering column to where I like it to be there is no problem (that wasn't there before the mean man came). Are mini's hard to hotwire? Why did he give up?

probably cause he was a muppet or got disturbed..

one of the easiest cars to hotwire and start going..

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

Er no...

Steering lock is the main problem... can drive it if you cant steer...

Hot wire... about 10 secs

#4 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Local Club: N.W Mini's / O.D.M.C

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

Agreed Mini's are easy to hot wire mind you so are most cars without immobilisers!

It's just the steering lock that causes problems but if you have a couple of tools their easy to break (god, I sound like a hardened car thief! :P )

#5 Tifferrobinson

Tifferrobinson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

Agreed Mini's are easy to hot wire mind you so are most cars without immobilisers!

It's just the steering lock that causes problems but if you have a couple of tools their easy to break (god, I sound like a hardened car thief! :P )

Should I invest in another steering lock -t he big annoying ones that mr bean had or are they just as easy to break?

#6 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

Should I invest in another steering lock -t he big annoying ones that mr bean had or are they just as easy to break?

I suppose that depends how many tools you have (probably not many),time you want to give it (not long), and skill you have (doesn't sound like much)

It might be worth investing in one! or if you have some spare cash lying around get a half decent alarm and immobiliser!

Edited by JohnGordon, 27 November 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:43 AM

Fit fuel injection, and every time you leave the car, take the ECU with you :P

#8 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

Or try a battery cut off switch and hide it somewhere where the theives will never think of looking :P

Oh yeh, I have one that you can buy :P

#9 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

You could fit a battery islolater in the boot, will total immobilize the electrics, and as the advantage of the boot being lockable.

Doesn't stop the determined thief from breaking in the car or towing it away though :P

#10 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

You could fit a battery islolater in the boot, will total immobilize the electrics, and as the advantage of the boot being lockable.

Doesn't stop the determined thief from breaking in the car or towing it away though :P

but what theif would tow the car away, honestly?!

get a steering lock thing (the big yellow ones) so they cant tow it! well, they cant steer it. :P

Edited by MGMT, 27 November 2008 - 11:15 AM.

#11 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

erm... pikey?

#12 stormintrooper

stormintrooper

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

wheel clamp for the win...:P

#13 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

erm... pikey?

with a horse??

wheel clamp for the win...:P

best answer so far......bit of a hassle tho fitting it every time you park up haha

#14 JohnGordon

JohnGordon

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

erm... pikey?

with a horse??

:P

Well round here they've moved on a bit! they come in hiab's now, sling a chain through each window and lift it on to the back of the wagon!

#15 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

erm... pikey?

with a horse??

:P

Well round here they've moved on a bit! they come in hiab's now, sling a chain through each window and lift it on to the back of the wagon!

whats a hiab lol??

the ones here (I mean literally here - just round the corner) have like 3 horses and an old fashioned cart thing haha
I dont know how they can live like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users