#1 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

Am i right in thinking that if a mini has beeen scraped, there is no way i can make it go on the road again as the V5 says its been scraped.

Thanx

Mark

#2 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

I think it's possible to get it back on the road, but it may be very difficult and a lot of forms to fill out etc.

Basically, if you don't have a valid V5, it's very hard to get it on the road....i think!

#3 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

Unless you get a V5 from ebay.. :wink:

...But ofcourse that would be very illegal.

#4 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

Someone else said this about a car on ebay but personally I didn't have a problem.
My pickup was registered scrapped and I didn't even know who the previous owner was. All I did was fill out a form from the post office and send off my £19. The only info it asked for was reg/chassis numbers and my details.
Must be worth £19 to try.

Pete

#5 mine's 10" what's yours?

mine's 10" what's yours?

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:50 PM

if a vehicle has been scrapped, so long as you have all the relevant numbers, ie;- chassis & engine, you can apply for a V5 but you may have to take the vehicle for a VIC (vehicle identity check) when you have it ready for the road.
last time i took one was last year and it cost me something in the region of 26 quid.

#6 bankxi

bankxi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:17 PM

am i right by saying only cat c cars can be put back on the road cat b n d n what eva else there is cant?

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Got the first bit of your message, bankxi, but it kinda tailed off at the end, I think you needed more letters in there somewhere! :tongue:

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:11 AM

am i right by saying only cat c cars can be put back on the road cat b n d n what eva else there is cant? 

translation :cheese:

The Cat A, B C & D are in connection with write off's and not scrapping...

A Category A & B write off should not re-apprear, basically because the shell/running gear etc are too badly damaged and there is not enough or the original vehicle reclaimable, even if using a new shell.

Category C, D and X can..

A - Not for resale. Fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged (contaminated or salt water), severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or heavily stripped (shell).
Notification of Destruction required. (To be crushed). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

B - Not for resale. Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage.
Notification of Destruction required. (Parts can be removed and sold). Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

C - Repairable salvage. Generally applies to older vehicles. Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection.
Recorded at DVLA & HPI.

D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.
Recorded with HPI.

X - Repairable salvage. Not recorded on any registers such as HPI. Limited or very light damage, or vehicle is new or less than 12 months old. Usually requires minimal repair work.
NOT Recorded with HPI.

However, what we are dealing with here, is a vehicle which has been scrapped as opposed to written-off....

I believe if you have the correct Chassis plates, correct shell you can apply for an age related plate. If it's an old historic mini then also try heritage as they may be able to trace it's original plate.

Looking at the new V5C though, there is no longer a section which allows you to scrap the car yourself, it only allows transfer to a dismantler ? (little bit of a search of the DVLA site required - www.dvla.gov.uk )

#9 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ah ok thanx :lol:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users