Photo

Creating The Ideal Dashboard (new Beta Version)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

NOTE IF YOU ARE GOING TO CREATE SILLY POSTS AND SAY THIS IS A SILLY DESIGN DUE TO THE SPEAKER LAYOUT THEN BEST YOU LEAVE NOW!!!! YOU HAVE NO VALID OPINION ON THE MATTER AT ALL, I AM NOT STUPID I KNOW THE SPEAKERS ARE NEXT TO EACH OTHER, THIS WAS A TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO GET THEM BACK IN WHILE I RE-DESIGN THE DASH I REALLY WANT!!!! I DO ACTUALLY USE THIS CAR EVERY DAY AND COULDNT AFFORD TO HAVE THE DASH OUT FOR LONG, GOT IT!!!! NOW BE NICE

neway...
Hiya to all the nice guys,
some of you may of already seen i have created dashboards a while ago, however i have now managed to create a newer and much better dashboard :shifty:. For my new custom dashboard it was one again lined like the old one but with a better quality material for speakers. As this dash is supporting two 10cm Sony XS-F1035's.
So heres how you can create the ideal dashboard which not only supports two speakers, the vents but also supports a CD player (head unit), and has enough room for other switches if you choose. If you carry on reading i shall also include how to transfer your ashtray into an Ipod Holder, which is ideal use of wasted space if you dont smoke. And it can easily be turned back into a normal ashtray if you wish to later on.
So heres what you will need:

Firstly you will need the following tools:
• Copan Saw
• Jig Saw
• Pencil
• Ruler
• Compass
• Hand Saw
• Electric Hand Drill

The materials you will need are:
• The Waterproof MDF at 1.5cm to 2cm thickness roughly
• Cardboard for template
• Carpet or lining of your choice, i used the Autoleads Black Acoustic Carpet 1m x 2m from Halfords (in black) £24.99
• 6 Wing Nuts and Bolts
• Screws or Strong Adhesive

Ok firstly you will need to create a template via cardboard, i have attached 2 different templates below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

However create only the left half of the dash, so if your sittin in the car, create the half that joins to the 3 clocks or 2 clocks (note i did mine for 3 clocks so sizes may vary for you if you have 2 clocks). Now for your template create the rough outline, and then cut out where the vent is, and where you personally would like the speakers and cd player, i put my speakers next to each over on the left next to where the vent is, and then the CD player nearer to the center. Once you have cut the template out and you are happy with it, you can now transfer this to the piece of MDF, and then cut it out. Before making sure it fits, the top of the dash needs to be angled, so that it slops in towards the front of the car. This may vary the angle depending on your dash, so just sand until it fits, now try the dash out and make sure it fits in place, it should sit nicely against the front. Once your happy with it, you will need to copy the vent end onto another piece of MDF, you are now creating a duplicate end for the driver side vent. This bit is miles smaller, again copy the previous steps until you happy with it. Now before fixing the brackets you need to cover the dash in the materials, to do this either use a strong adhesive or small screws to hold the lining in place. Once that is complate you can now make the fixing brackets.

To create the fixing brackets i used the same MDF as this is a sturdy materials. Now there are two parts to the fixing brackets, the first part we shall do is the actual bar section of the bracket, below are the set of diagrams needed to help you create the brackets, now unfortunatly i cant remember the measurments however the idea of these brackets is that the longer section is to be long enough to sit behind the top and bottom rail, then the smaller section with the bolts in gets screwed to the back of the dashboard, and then thedash gets put into place, and the bolts go through the hole, and you can do the wing nuts up and then it shall secure the dash into place. You will need 3 of these fixing brackets, two for the bigger side and one for the smaller side.
Below is the diagram:
Posted Image

Now you should of lined the dashboard and created the fixing brackets, you can now start to fix the dash into place, this part may be a bit fiddly, so for this, make sure the vent is fully detached from the bulkhead, and then put the longer sections of he brackets into place, now put the dash into place and feed the bolts through the holes of the over part of the bracket, and then tighten in place with the wing nuts, this part is fiddly. Once you have got this into place you can start to install the speakers, and the cd player, make sure you fit the cd player first and access it from the speaker holes, and then fit the nearest speaker to the cd player, and then attach the vent, (please note this is a complete *** to get in, so purchase the adapter from mini spares firstm, this is the hose extension, product code JBB100550, ORDER TWO OF THESE. Now once the vent is fitted you can fit the final speaker.

Now you can fit the other side (this side is more fiddly), then bolt into place and fit the last vent, now you will think but you havent got a bit going across the three clocks to make it look all in one, well for this part, is simple, as the carpet i used is very adaptable, i cut a bit in a long length, rolled it up and used a screw driver to wedge this part above the clocks and mold it into the dash i just fitted, and there you have it, it now looks like an all in one dashboard. There is also plenty of room for other switches.

Now i mentioned earlier how to create a ipod holder out of a ash tray, this part is simple, i had the ideal as i got one those bluetooth ipod head units for my mini, but previously before owning the mini bought this ipod holder that fits into cup holders, as shown below, this obviously doesnt fit as there are no cup holders so got me thinking, for this part you will need.

• Copan saw
• Pencil
• Drill
• Some of the carpet used earlier
• Belkin Ipod holder

This is the ipod holder
Posted Image

Now, for this you need to detach the ashtray mounted in the dash, this is easy it just pops out, once it is out, you need to make a template that fits into the ashtray, it should look like my diagram below, make sure its not 100% the same size of the ashtray as you need to cover it in carpet.
Below is a diagram of the section you need to cut out:

Posted Image

Once this is cut out, you then carpet the piece and screw the ipod section into the hole you drilled earlier. Now push this tight into ash tray, and then refit the ash tray. This is what i ended up with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And this is the Ipod holder (sorry pictures are not great, sun was shining through onto the dash)

Posted Image

Feel free to comment me or ask any questions.
[b]Russell Mini Thirty

Edited by Russell-Mini30, 28 December 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#2 daz7505

daz7505

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

nice dash mate, but with your 2 speakers side by side to your left will screw up your sound from your head unit. with your placement of them, you will lose your stereo sound, and effectivly be listening to your music in mono.

#3 j0-rdan

j0-rdan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:32 AM

Hey Russell,
Looking good, and thanks for letting me know its up!!
Also love the metal handles, did you get them online?? And if soo any chance of a link??
Jordan

#4 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

cheers :) and the handles on the doors were purchased at a Mini show. However they are the same online, and the gear Knob and Handbrake cover were purchased from www.minispares-online.co.uk Huddersfield Mini Spares, excellent company to order from!!! totally recomend

#5 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

could you explain how exactly?

#6 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

I seem to recall another post by you that had a picture of a dash with 2 speakers in the middle, and i told you then that it would sound terrible.

Now you have gone and moved them over the left, which will make it even worse....!! Not the ideal place for left and right speakers to be so close together...!!

#7 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

actually, providing the set up is correct, and you have the right head unit, and same system, the sound is fine, i use it al the time, and got 300 watt 3 way xplod sonys under the rear, and 140 watt 3 way sony xplod at the front, and with the xplod head unit, the system sounds perfectly fine as the 300 being at the bottom counter balence the 140 at the top making the sound fine.

#8 MiniMick

MiniMick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

That is a nice dash

Mick

#9 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Cheers :) some1 finally said something nice :o

#10 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

that would be great for drowing out annoying passengers who don't shut up...

sorry but that is just a silly design..... decades of L / R stereo speaker systems can't be wrong...

#11 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

that would be great for drowing out annoying passengers who don't shut up...

sorry but that is just a silly design..... decades of L / R stereo speaker systems can't be wrong...

*nods*

#12 Russell-Mini30

Russell-Mini30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

to be honest mate, i drive it every day, i can tell you now it works, you may all believe it doesnt work, but it does, and unless you try you therefore have absolutly no opinion on it at all!!!!! Just because you believe the concept of L and R must be seperate, there is fact of the matter barely any difference what so ever if you put them together.

#13 sixtyeight

sixtyeight

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local Club: forums.minidriver.com.au

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:08 AM

to be honest mate, i drive it every day, i can tell you now it works, you may all believe it doesnt work, but it does, and unless you try you therefore have absolutly no opinion on it at all!!!!! Just because you believe the concept of L and R must be seperate, there is fact of the matter barely any difference what so ever if you put them together.

oh im sure it works, technically. i mean, i could leave two speakers loose on the dash shelf wired up and they'd "work" too.

great work.
>_<

oh, you put this up in the public domain and you asked for comments/feedback, and you got it.. not my fault it's not in your favour.

even on a level totally unrelated to sound quality/staging, it looks all out of balance... it's like going out and buying a nice new shelf hi-fi system.. then plonking the speakers all on one side. looks even sillier than it sounds.

i'd love to see your 5.1 system at home lol.

Edited by sixtyeight, 28 December 2008 - 03:13 AM.

#14 Coleman

Coleman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:29 AM

To be honest, i've tried it and i can say that it does "work."

It works in the sense that you just use power to create noise which is loud enough so you can hear the music. However, saying that, it really sucks and there's no point to it. You may as well just have one speaker in your car and be blasting the *melon* out of it and it would have the same effect. I believe the concept of "L and R must be seperate", and so do you, as you have two speakers side by side, one to the left and the other to the right.

It's just if you space them further apart you get awesome surround sound which is louder without more volume.

And if you say "there is fact of the matter barely any difference what so ever if you put them together." it just makes it more clear that you have no concept of how audio works, sorry.

Good tutorial though.

Edited by Coleman, 28 December 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#15 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:55 AM

its not rocket science! There's a reason why concert venues, cinemas etc spend money on surround sound placement!! you can't place 2 speakers next to each other and expect 'stereo' to sound good, you can't distinguish between the 2.

It's like saying yeah I've got Sky HD its mint!! but I've not got a HD telly yet...

But then unless you sit in the middle of your car whilst driving (McLaren F1) style I suppose you can argue that your not in 'surround sound seating' anyway... so this is a pointless argument, especially as he has more than just those 2 speakers!!

Dash looks better now though, looks like you have fitted it better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users