#1 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

Just bought a new coil for my spi cooper,on the box it says for electronic ignition only so does this mean it is a ballast or non ballast coil as it does not say?The old one says ballast on it so are they the same and is it suitable for my car?
The new one is an intermotor 11410 for 1990 onwards.

#2 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

I guess nobody knows,i have measured the resistance which is just under i ohm which according to info i have been given on another forum points to it being a ballast coil (although they say ballast systems have been phased out and electronic ignition is non ballast,this is why i am confused!)The minispares website also lists the spi coil as a ballast type so i guess mine is correct i will measure the voltage at the coil and the resistance of the old coil to make sure.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

If you have an electronic distributer, or its SPi, then the balast coil is the one you need.

Electronic distributers used a balast resistor wire, where as on the SPi, the ECU controls the ignition dwell time ( the coil charge time) on voltage change.

#4 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

I was given some info on another forum on how to measure if a coil is ballast or not by measuring the resistance.I got 1 ohm which apparantly means it is a ballast coil and so from what sprocket says should be correct then.(hopefully!!!!!)
It is an intermotor 11410 obtained from my local factors which i fitted last night,seems to be ok.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

RealSlow