10 replies to this topic

#1 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Can the SPI ECU be relocated to behind the grill with out any problems?.

Think cables will reach and the vac pipe as well but could extend any if need be. Was just wondering if any problem with the cold air with being just behind the grill.
The reason is I have air con and am going to LPG the car and no room to locate the vaporiser unit as 10" diameter by 2" and if ecu moved think it would fit here.
The other place I thought about mounting ecu was behind dash but the wiring would need extending this time.
If not the only way to LPG it would be to remove the air-con which I don't really want to do and the vaporiser would fit on driver side inner wing.

Any help on this one please

Pic below
Attached File  DSC01728.JPG   1.38MB   41 downloads

#2 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Can anybody help with this?.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

I wouldnt have thought fitting the most vulnerable part of your whole car in an area in the engine bay that will get hammered with water spray, salt and anything else. It is splashproof, but it is certainly not water proof. Remember, you live in sunny Scotland :)

#4 Sam08

Sam08

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Edited by Sam08, 14 January 2009 - 11:47 PM.

#5 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:43 AM

This was the questions I needed answered and as you said spray would be a problem.Would it be ok to cover it in a plastic bag to keep it waterproof.
Could also put that gel stuff you get in electronic goods packing to help with any condensation etc.

Would this work?.
Could also put some sheild so any spray was deflected.
Not sure if any of this would effect vac hose?.

Has anybody moved there ECU any where else in the car.

Again any info is useful.
Thanks so far.

#6 Mattl

Mattl

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Personally i would be thinking about extending the harness and locating the ecu in the cabin somewhere (behind or under the dash). Alternatively can you not fabricate a bracket and mount the vapourser in the wheel arch or in just behind the grille?

#7 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

Problem is vaporiser is 10" in diameter high and 2" THICK. and will not fit behind the grill as not enough room. Tried today and ecu fits just behind grill. Have mounted back again in original location till I get more feedback and decide where to mount it. Also needs coolent hoses run to it as well.
Will have a look at mounting under the wing to see if space and will speak to the LPG kit people to see if any problem mounting here. Would have to make some shield to protect it so no stones hit it though.

Has anybody extended the ECU harness to mount in the cabin, also can you extend that vac hose thing?.

Again info would be useful.

Edited by myblumini, 15 January 2009 - 10:54 PM.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Has anybody extended the ECU harness to mount in the cabin, also can you extend that vac hose thing?.

Again info would be useful.

Yes on both counts but I rebuilt the loom with new wiring rather than splicing wires to make it longer. Basicaly kept the same route around the back of the engine bay but extended it over to where the wiper motor is, then fed the loom through the hole thats already there on the bulkhead blaked off with a grommet. mounted the ECU on the underside of the parcel shelf, but I suspect you have the AC there :thumbsup:

to be honest mate, its a mini,, fitting LPG, Brake Servos, fuel injection, Air Conditioning in a tiny car that was never designed for them, you will eventualy run out of room and you will have to use your imagination to overcome the problems. But, just behind the grill is not the place for the ECU! show me a modern car that has the ECU mounted in the grille, this is for a very good reason.

I would hate to attempt to change the clutch on your car, never mind with the LPG kit in there as well ;)

Dont get me wrong, I like the whole idea, just dont mount the ECU behind the grille ;)

#9 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

Cheers for that. Looks like the ECU inside the car would be best option. As said above post- AC is on underside of front parcel shelf so that out. Wiring not a problem as could make up new loom or use an socket to connect the original in and extend to new location. The only thing is the vac pipe where would you get longer pipe?. What about under the rear seat? will check this out also.

I know what you mean about all the extra stuff in a mini. I have a MK1 850 also and LPG to this would be a breeze as so much space in engine bay but this is going to be restored to original but taking time so long as extended my house and been doing all the work finishing it off, now thats just about finished so get Jap lpg and then get stuck back into MK1.

Missed driving a mini so much bought this Jap import as my daily drive and only by getting around my wife by saying would LPG it she came round to the idea spending the money getting mini, as all my other cars 4x4 and Zafira are and saves us a fortune as also have tank in my garden so cheaper than the forecourt. Would be using the mini during the summer months mainly and take 4x4 off the road!! and only use 4x4 in winter so as not to rust the mini away so much. Also would be cheaper to run than 4x4.

The more I think of the AC and problems it is causing regards the LPG conversion the more I think maybe should just remove it. The only thing is so far that puts me off is, it was great as so cool in summer when used and great for demisting the car. Also if removed would anybody buy it and what do they go for?.

Thanks again for comments so far but again any further comments would help me make my mind up what to do.

#10 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

you live in scotland what do you need air con for? lol

#11 myblumini

myblumini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

Great when it does get hot in sunny Aberdeen but best of all the demisting of the car as mini heater not that great and better than driving with the window open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users