44 replies to this topic

#1 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

Had this topic on 16vminiforum but thought I would put it on here also....

Having owned the car since Dec 07 and completing about 1500 miles in it it think it was time to SORN it and make some improvements.

The fastest it ran a 1/4 mile this year was consistent 14.3's, which I was very pleased with.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next year I want to take it on some track days so need to sort a few things, and just tidy it up in general.

I fitted a new dash a few months back:

Posted Image

Hoping to get this flocked in the next couple of months...

New perspex rear quarter windows have been fitted:

Posted Image

I have just purchased new wheels from fleebay, 10" wellers which were nice and cheap, I have had them shot blasted and they are away at the moment with the powered coaters being done in satin black. (will have photos soon)

The I have purchased the rubber to go on them :evil:

Posted Image

The front is off and ready to get cracking on tidying the engine bay (wiring and leaking a bit of oil):

Posted Image

Also the biggest job is to spray the interior and the inner boot area's as they are looking kack at the moment:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Joah, 22 January 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#2 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Quick update:

Made a start on getting the engine out the other day, got the rad and coolant parts off that was needed then it was too cold so I wimped out and left it, going to borrow an engine crane and stand next sunday so will have it out then:

Posted Image

Also have had a moment of madness really, but in a good way.

The more I looked at the wellers the less I was liking how they were sitting under the arches, and I didnt want to use big spacers.

So...

I have purchased these:

Posted Image

:twisted:

#3 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

My new heat wrap for the manifold arrived this morning so thought I would make a start with that:

I managed to get the manifold off the engine yesterday using good old brute force and ignorance...

It looked like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then removed all the old tatty heat wrap:
Posted Image
Posted Image

And about an hour later:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Much better..... 8)

#4 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Brief Update:

Wheels now have tyres fitted and look so fat. 8) now just need to sort the stud lengths on the hubs and they will be fitted.

I have also blown my company bonus already (only got it today) on a carbon fibre boot and bumper from carbon weezel...

The engine will be coming out next weekend to sort out the slight oil leak which I believe is coming from the oil filter housing, but also going to change the oil sump gasket and check the bottom end, also going to check that the clutch is going to last the season.

And I know have to get it all finished and back together by april as there is a local mini rolling road day which I want to attend :o finally find out what horse power it is running, not that it matters as I always get out of it with the adrenaline pump which is what counts. ;)

Will get pics up soon.

#5 boulton6868

boulton6868

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi very nice car im doing a 8v conversion at the min. As you have new wheels are you interested in getting rid or you old revolutions cause i would be interested.

#6 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I'm afraid they are already gone...I do like the 8v conversions as they are very sleeper, wouldnt mind doing one for the missus but credit crunch and all that jazz.

#7 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

That's pretty tidy, I like it >_<

I've just dropped the price on my old vectra - 2.0 16v SRi - go on, ya missus will love ya :lol:

#8 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Quick update:

Right on Sunday managed to get the engine out of the car and onto the floor at the moment until I can employee some people to help me lift it onto the engine stand I have.

The only part that was difficult was getting the damn driveshafts out but once that was done it weren't too bad.

found that my top rear engine mount have completely snapped off the subframe which probably isnt the best but with a bit of welding the stengthening this will be sorted in no time.

I forgot my camera on the day so will go take some photos tonight and get them up on here later.

#9 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Apolgies for the crap photos, here are some of the new wheels fitted:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Will get some much better ones once its back together and I can wheel it out of the garage.

So last sunday it went from this:

Posted Image

To this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Found the rear engine mount snapped:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And today apart from spilling oil all over the floor :oops: I managed to get the clutch and flywheel off:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Clutch seems in good condition which is nice to know >_<

#10 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

And, you've got a new F18 gearbox for it! >_<

#11 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

And, you've got a new F18 gearbox for it! :)

As matt states (thanks... :rolleyes:) I went and picked up an F18 WR gearbox yesterday, using a gear ratio/speed calculator it should help on the 1/4 mile.

With the F20 I am having to change to fifth just before I cross the line (at about 98mph) with the new box it should do about 115 in forth which will be spot on.

A couple of carbon fibre parts should be arriving today also, but with the weather its doubtful...

#12 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

mwhahahaha.....:twisted:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Loving the carbon :thumbsup: can't wait to fit that but might wait for some slightly better weather.

Also got a couple of other little goodies:

New aston cap as mine is completely fudged and flaps about all over the shop. (need to source a lighter one in the future though as it weights a ton)
Posted Image

And then bought some other bits to replace worn items spotted when taking engine out:

Posted Image

#13 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Very nice. I love the look of your Mini :D

#14 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Love it fella!
And for those carbon bits.. :D

Excuse my ignorance, but whats involved in fitting an XE under a normal sized frontend?

#15 Joah

Joah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but whats involved in fitting an XE under a normal sized frontend?

Well I have a custom made radiator which sits over the gearbox this is one of the main things, but you also need to have a bonnet bulge to clear the rocker cover (this also sits further left and some of the wing is cut out too).

Those and alot of patience lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users