Photo

What Random Facts Do You Know About Other Makes Cars?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#121 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:59 AM

fords 1.25 zetec is actually built by yamaha

Not strictly true...as I heard it anyway....They are Ford engines but they are tuned by Yamaha, and are therefore more powerful than the 1.3 engines offered by Ford!

my one has yamaha stamped on it,

lotus esprit and the rover SD1 share the same rear lights...

#122 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

they fixed the head gasket problem. Something to do with Bore Sleeves?

As well as the special gasket you need to do a very careful build. When Rover solved the problem in the KV6 they found it was almost entirely down to poor tollerances (not that unusual for a Rover Powertrain engine) that meant the liners disn't always sit at the same height. One or two liners being a few thou higher causes many problems. The liner shuffling thing is why the problem doesn't really exist on the smaller sized K series, they don't develop enough torque to twist the block. I would imagine a beefier main bearing ladder would help a lot.

#123 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

deawoo is chevrolets uk or e.u company

Nope, Daewoo Motors Europe doesn't exist anymore. The company has become Chevrolet in the UK and the rest of Europe and the cars are sold by and badged as Chevrolet. In other parts of the world they still exists as GM Daewoo but are no longer owned by Daewoo and are entirely a GM company using the Daewoo name as it has a large customer base. Daewoo themselves are a much larger company than Chevrolet (not sure if they are bigger than GM altogether) and produce everything from microwaves to supertankers. They just wanted to get out of the car market worldwide and given current conditions it was probably a good decision.

#124 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

A 1992 MK3 Golf 1.8 CL sounds the same when starting up as a 2003 996 3.6 Carrera, the Porsche just sounds throatier.

#125 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Elfin is owned by the same man who owns walkshaw performance, was the arrows F1 team manager when they had money trouble, and also the team manager when jaguara won le-mans, oh, and he has also done some work on vaxauls VXR range.

#126 998 mini 25

998 mini 25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

I think ...
The mark 2 jag was the first road car to be fitted with disk brakes. And Jaguar was so worried that they put a little metal emblem on the rear bumper with a red triangle to warn drivers behind.
Volvo were the first to have either seat belts in all their cars or the first to have air
bags or something like that.
I heard in a nova that if you take the hazard light switch out and turn it upside down it will start the engine. (I dont really believe it)
With the facts about the ac cobra it was the fastest car in the world for the longest amount of time.
The speeding ticket one is partially correct because it cant go that fast. The speed was something like 253.
Also i think there isn't a weld in the bodywork for the 2cv.

#127 twiglett

twiglett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

the lexus isf has an engine tuned by yamaha
and toyota avensis` have takata seatbelts :lol:

ooh ooh and also the new iq by toyota is the smallest premium 4 seater,

got to remenber the premium bit

#128 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

And Jaguar was so worried that they put a little metal emblem on the rear bumper with a red triangle to warn drivers behind.

Not quite, back in the days of vintage motoring (we're talking just after the retirement of the red flag man here) there were cars with some pretty terrible brakes on the road and you didn't know how well a car might stop. There were many advances in brakes in a short time from cable and pushrod operated axle brakes to fully hydraulic wheel brakes and these triangle badges were used to show what kind of braking the car ahead might have. I've seen them labelled '2 wheel brakes', '4 wheel brakes' and 'hydraulic brakes'. I've never seen one labelled 'disc brakes'. I don't think they were a legal requirement but were commonly used just to show when a car had a new type of braking. Maybe they were used to show the advent of disc brakes but I'd have thought the badges were a lot older than that to be honest.

Posted Image

I don't think that's quite right about the Mk2 Jag being the first use of disc brakes but I can't remember what else might have used them.

Edited by Dan, 30 January 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#129 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Dan,

Think you are wrong on the disk brake badge, remember seeing it on TV somewhere also

Badges fitted looked like below. 998's info is correct I believe

Attached Files

#130 newbambeeno

newbambeeno

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

That was on Top Gear with the Jaguar special episode.

#131 dazza78

dazza78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

the audi quattro was the first 4wheel drive CAR

You might want to clarify that a bit. As it stands that statement is not true.

Jensen Interceptor was the first production car with 4x4 and ABS.

#132 dazza78

dazza78

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

fords 1.25 zetec is actually built by yamaha

Not strictly true...as I heard it anyway....They are Ford engines but they are tuned by Yamaha, and are therefore more powerful than the 1.3 engines offered by Ford!

The 1.25 is a Yamaha engine, they also make some engines for Toyota!!

#133 chadders15

chadders15

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

if this is rong im going to look stupid.

the mini designer was the first mini to have a vainty mirror on the drivers side as standerd.

almost correct
it was the first to have 2 vanity mirrors
:lol:)

#134 davejf

davejf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 and Central Minis

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

I think ...
The mark 2 jag was the first road car to be fitted with disk brakes. And Jaguar was so worried that they put a little metal emblem on the rear bumper with a red triangle to warn drivers behind.
Volvo were the first to have either seat belts in all their cars or the first to have air
bags or something like that.
I heard in a nova that if you take the hazard light switch out and turn it upside down it will start the engine. (I dont really believe it)
With the facts about the ac cobra it was the fastest car in the world for the longest amount of time.
The speeding ticket one is partially correct because it cant go that fast. The speed was something like 253.
Also i think there isn't a weld in the bodywork for the 2cv.

Think the first road car was the Jaguar C Types (they were technically road cars). They were developed by Jaguar and Dunlop.

#135 jwb_moto

jwb_moto

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Local Club: PMOC

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

they fixed the head gasket problem. Something to do with Bore Sleeves?

As well as the special gasket you need to do a very careful build. When Rover solved the problem in the KV6 they found it was almost entirely down to poor tollerances (not that unusual for a Rover Powertrain engine) that meant the liners disn't always sit at the same height. One or two liners being a few thou higher causes many problems. The liner shuffling thing is why the problem doesn't really exist on the smaller sized K series, they don't develop enough torque to twist the block. I would imagine a beefier main bearing ladder would help a lot.

something you may not know is that the K series was originally designed (in concept) to be diesel and was designed by an engineer at perkins engines but the design engineer left and went to rover before perkins coud patent it!

Also the Rover v8 was dieselised by Perkins

gues who i work for? LOL.....

Edited by jwb_moto, 30 January 2009 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users