31 replies to this topic

#16 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

A bit of a holy thread resurrection here but...

Is anyone able to shed any further light on the majic wand to remote gear lever adaptor

I will be restoring a very early mk1, and the original 850 will not cut the mustard. Therefore a potent 1380 engine will be installed. I don't fancy the chances of a majic wand gearbox taking kindly to this therefore was considering using a remote gearbox with this conversion. Having only rebuilt rod change boxes, the intricacies of the Majic wand and remote linkages are largely unknown at this stage to me. 

Any photos or experience?

Thanks

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

Is anyone able to shed any further light on the majic wand to remote gear lever adaptor

I will be restoring a very early mk1, and the original 850 will not cut the mustard. Therefore a potent 1380 engine will be installed. I don't fancy the chances of a majic wand gearbox taking kindly to this therefore was considering using a remote gearbox with this conversion. Having only rebuilt rod change boxes, the intricacies of the Majic wand and remote linkages are largely unknown at this stage to me. 

Thanks

Guess Works do a conversion to put the magic wand on a later box. Have a look at his website.

#18 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, that should make life easier.

#19 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

Thanks

This later magic wand came in with the 4-sync gearbox from 1968-1975 for 850cc Mk2 & Mk3 Minis and also vans/pickups. The actual magic wand gearlever is different to the earlier 3-sync box type, ie. has the keyway slot in the ball at the top not side.

4-sync-wand_zps90b9e695.jpg

Photo shows parts needed to run the magic wand set up with the remote diff casing.
eg. when a later Mk2/3  Four synchro box is used on a mk1 Mini.

2A3467 Bush
2A3390 Spring
22A1832 Seat / Locating foot
88G553 Selector shaft
22A1717 Cover
22A1382 Gearlever 1968-75 (Later type wand with slot at the top of ball)

3 synchro type (both have slot at the side)
22A91 GEAR LEVER, straight  1959-61.
88G232 GEAR LEVER, cranked 1961-68

Diagram:
http://www.somerford...age=page&id=151

Adaptor plate:
PuddinStirrer_06.jpg

Lots more info here:-

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=3&t=11555

Edited by mab01uk, 28 April 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#20 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

Thanks, that covers everything very nicely.

#21 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

The other factor to consider is the movement of the lever. I suggest you fit at least one if not both of the lower engine steadies otherwise you could have a leathal weapon flailing around in the cab with you.😁

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

Can't say I've ever been crazy about the Magic Wand Shifter

magicwandshiftpattern_zps8e9dd654.jpeg

#23 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Brilliant combined with knackered engine mounts so it jumps out of 2nd and 4th every time you go over a bump.  Reverse can be 'challenging' too but as long as your engine mounts are knackered as well you can rock the engine on the clutch and slip reverse in  :proud:

#24 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

Ultimate engine steady, and a selection of additional steadies will be a given. After that it appears to be pot luck. Hopefully there will be enough torque to pull whatever gear it ends up in!

#25 brownspeed

brownspeed

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

Magic wand- AKA "wishing stick"

#26 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

You do not need the incorrectly designed "ultimate engine steady". The torque needs to be reacted ONLY in the same plane as the top steady, so the standard late bottom steady should be used. It will need its bracket welded into the front subframe front crossmember, although you could devise an alternative bolted bracket.

As for the magic wand, I have seen a completely straight one on an early car. I do not believe that many were built like that, but I may be wrong. It was Charlie Ross, part time goalkeeper of Stenhousemuir in the 1960s and our Latin teacher who had the Mini. He was about 6'6", so we thought we would have a good laugh when he tried to sit in it, but Minis had more headroom than we, as schoolkids, envisaged.

One common  reason they often work badly is that the two knuckles with ball and socket on top of the diff housing often wear internally, and even more often come loose and wear their splines. I had to be towed home by my Old Man once when that happened and the van just would not get up a hill. I completely checked out the carburettor, distributor etc, and even had the head off to see where the power had gone (about an hours work, I had plenty of practice for other reasons and was young and fit), and finally found that it was only going into 3rd and 4th gears. As it was nearing the end of its useful life I just arc welded the offending knuckle to the splined shaft.

#27 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Yes - there were definitely "straight" Magic Wand gearsticks in the early cars. This was a random pic I took from a Google search for "1959 Mini Interior". I think 621 AOK has one.

wand_zpsxfyvyxwh.jpg

#28 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:19 PM

That's the one! Sadly looking a bit shabby, with a possibly missing gaiter (can't be quite sure) and rust below the knob. Cobwebs everywhere and various other problems such as a rusty floor. I hope it has been restored now.

#29 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

Yes my brother is restoring that '59 Mini for a friend of mine, details here:-

http://1959miniregis...m=9&gallery=102

#30 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Agree, Ultimate is not the right word for the top steady, but there will be a few others in addition. Considering the poor reviews of a majic wand I may go for a drive with one at some point and see how it goes. Can always go rod change with a subtle internal linkage below the carpet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users