11 replies to this topic

#1 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Has anyone had any problems with the floor bar being too far back on the race spec? I am having trouble with mine as the floor bar mounting plates don't seem to line up with the 3 bolts for the front subframe. They are about 1" too far back?

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Has anyone had any problems with the floor bar being too far back on the race spec? I am having trouble with mine as the floor bar mounting plates don't seem to line up with the 3 bolts for the front subframe. They are about 1" too far back?

Any help would be appreciated!

Yeah i had the same fault. i found it was the front subframe not seating correctly, i was trying to use a spacer when i didnt need one..
also to help it fit i disconnected the bars that go though the bulkhead and the bold attaching it to the floor and hit the bugger in. it then lines up ok.

i hope you get my drift....

#3 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for that.
I am using the spacer but the lower mounting edge of the front subframe is already against the ridge in the floor well, so I cant really move this any further back or else it will be bolting onto the ridge.
I guess I'll have to loosen everything again and have another play!

#4 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for that.
I am using the spacer but the lower mounting edge of the front subframe is already against the ridge in the floor well, so I cant really move this any further back or else it will be bolting onto the ridge.
I guess I'll have to loosen everything again and have another play!

yeah thats what i thought, i bet it will eventually go in without the spacer. i was convinced my one needed it and it messed up everything.
i eventually took it to zcars and they pointed out my noob mistake.

good luck.

Al

#5 AllanMcD

AllanMcD

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: 16v mini club

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I needed spacers but only fitted them after I had the frames in place.
Fitting them with a knocking stick.
Allan

Edited by AllanMcD, 30 January 2009 - 11:17 AM.

#6 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, Here are some pics of mine.
Have you got any pics of this??
Does your subframe mounting plate fit flush against the dip/ridge in the floor well?
cheers, Ben.

Attached Files

Edited by Gsybeach, 30 January 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#7 AllanMcD

AllanMcD

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: 16v mini club

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

My front subframe sits where yours is but the floor bar is a bit further forward you could try lining it up with all the bolts slack.
Allan

#8 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

I think this is down to that difference in minis themselves, any more info on this would be good! If i drill through from the top I think Ill miss the bottom foot of the subframe. If i Remove the spacer I might get away with it?

Edited by brandon7, 31 January 2009 - 12:08 AM.

#9 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

ALso GSY beach very suprised you put no extra plates in for your front subframe if hill climbing in CI. All structure mounting points reinforced? Cheers

#10 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, but after much fiddling, I have now lined it up and it is fixed. It seems to be more of a problem with later shells.

Brandon7
MSA regs specify re-inforcements plates of 3mm x 120sq cm welded on chassis for main and front rollbar mounting feet. I have done this, so there shouldn't be a problem. The front floor bar mounting plate bolts through the floor and through the subframe plate so this should have plenty of strength anyway.

#11 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

the problem is the later shells had a slightly different shape to the bit where your heels rest in the floor pan
if you bolt the top big bolts in the subframe up then get a ratchet strap around the front subframe , pass the strap under the car to the rear frame you can then pull them together towards each other in a controlled manner
a little "releiving"
of the floor pan where it interferes can help
once it all lines up you will be fine the frames are all assembled in jigs before being sent out and its the frame thats square not always the mini you are working on they can have had panals welded in and have been bumped in an accident so dont worry if you have to be a little brutal getting them together
chris

#12 vulpina

vulpina

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hello ,
How do you solved that Gsybeach ?
I have the same issue ,even i welded flat floor panel it doesnt line up and i use the ratchet strap pulling front to back.
Does it matter if the Two big tower bolt are loose or torqued for this ?
iam have only 5 or 10mm misalignement not as much as you had thougth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users