31 replies to this topic

#1 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

Evening, finally got the carb I was after, the manifold, spacer, heatshield etc and am ready to install once I've been to moss for gaskets and maybe a throttle cable.

On one side of the carb there are three pipes sticking out and infront of the butterfly there's another small pipe. What goes where?

I know I need fuel going in and that there coudl be a fuel overflow pipe, but not sure what the third could do, or whether I'm right about the overflow. I looked in Vizard and there is some info in the economy tuning section, but I'm not 100% on whats what.

While I'm here I might as well check what the bast way to connect the water-heated manifold up is?

So, how do I plumb it all in? I have fuel in and a vacuum advance, but four different places to plumb things.

Cheers!

#2 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image
1 - vacuum advance
2 - accelerator
3 - choke

Posted Image
4 - fuel in
5 - overflow/float vent
6 - crankcase ventilation
7 - adjustment screw

#3 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

front of the carb, the side that bolts to the manifold, should be a mushroom shaped pipe sticking up, thats vac advance.

left side of carb 3 pipes.

1 at the back, 2 in middle more or less, one above the other..

1 at back fuel in, bottom middle overflow, tops just a breather.

The near the front same side, larger pipe, may be blanked off, engine breather connection.

ha ha as the picture above :D beat me, you may have a pipe under the vent pipe though, ours did. we used that as the overflow, figured petrol would come out the lower pipe first, seeing as those two are connected

Edited by lrostoke, 07 February 2009 - 09:22 PM.

#4 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Oh and the Manifold is an MG Metro water heated job - which way up does it go? Water inlet above or below the manifold? I'm guessing above, but confirm please!

#5 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Wow, that was quick, nothing better to do on a saturday night? lol! Cheers!

#6 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Crankcase ventilation - Is that a performance thing, how does it work, is it to improve emmissions? I have breathers on the crankcase that just vent into the engine compartment.

Overflow thing - how would that plumb in, where does it go to?

Thank you!

#7 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

pipe up on the manifold..

Now I did a search on this after fitting same manifold and seemed a common thing

Look how thick the mounting lugs are compared to your exhaust manifold, we had to shave ours down, so that the mounting washers sat flush.
Also we found the heated pipe casting was hitting the rocker cover, even with the rocker covered pulled right foreward, stopping the manifold sitting flush against the head, we also had to shave that down.

#8 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

I've actually ended up with two of the manifolds, one is as you describe, but the other has been ground down on the mounting lugs, so I think it'll be fine, will see about the rocker cover.

Looks like the carb will be too high for the bonnet on the Minus, so that'll have to be jacked up a bit at the back I think, until I can afford a new bonnet with a suitable bulge.

#9 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Another Q:

The heatshield has a bolt sticking out of the top - whats that for? I can't see exactly how the choke cable attaches, is it anything to do with that?

Ta

#10 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

On the right of the plate you will have a rounded slot, this takes the throttle cable, you may need a new cable there is a specific cable for the HIF carb, with a plastic piece that slips into that slot.

At right angles to the slot is the choke cable location, its held in place by a special clip that fits in the slot..

top right of photo, can see throttle slot, and slot for special clip

http://www.minispare...ty=pb&pid=37553

Posted Image

oh I think that bolt is for the airfilter :) we used a cone filter so wasn't needed

Edited by lrostoke, 07 February 2009 - 09:12 PM.

#11 scrumpymini

scrumpymini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

what do you do with the vacum pipe connection on the carb when you fit a electronic ignition ?

#12 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Continue to use it :)

#13 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

OK, carb fitted etc.

I cranked the engine for about 20s to get petrol through and the little man just fired up, no questions asked! I was amazed! I've had the colortune out and adjusted from one extreme to the other - the needle is faaaaaaaar too rich! Drives ok round the drive etc while putting him back in the garage, so progress, but new needle required!

I tried to get the needle out to see what needle it is, but I couldn't, so my first question is how do you remove the needle?

I've got WinSU and that suggests I go for a BCD Needle with a Yellow spring, anyone got any thoughts on that?

The engine is an MG Metro 1275, Stage 1 exhaust, HIF44 Carb, MG Metro inlet manifold, K&N cone filter.

Cheers.

#14 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

Undo the 3 screws that hold the top of the carb on. withdraw it carefully, you will see needle sticking out of the bottom of the piston..It held in with a single screw through the side..Slacken screw and pull needle out, may be tight but it will come out.

Last of the Coopers with a HIF44 had the BFY needle according to Haynes. profiles very similar to the BCD, BFY is just slightly richer.

#15 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Thanks, I did all that, but the needle didn't come out, so thought I should check before I tried to force it out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users