When I changed my engine over I reused the flywheel housing from my 998 for the 1275. I drilled out the breather hole and then drilled and tapped for the breather over the top.
Obviously I did not do a good enough job as the unit has come loose and I think the thread on the near tapped hole is stripped. I am now losing oil through here (not surprising!) and need a fix.
Any suggestions? Can I superglue the bolt in? Suspect that there is not enough thread for thread lock to work..... Would I be better off tapping out a larger size and then sourcing a wider thread bolt?
Loose Flywheel Housing Breather Unit
Started by
Mart8V
, Feb 08 2009 05:42 PM
3 replies to this topic
#1
Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:42 PM
#2
Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:56 PM
helicoil, or thread savers, or chemical Metal from plastic padding. drill the hole out a bit more clean it. mix up the plastic padding and fill the hole. later when the padding has dried about 12hrs you can redrill and tap the hole and refit your parts hand tight plus a nats, I once did a head stud like this and was able to torque the stud to 42 lbs.
#3
Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:58 PM
the stud should only go in hand tight though - the nut is torqued up...I once did a head stud like this and was able to torque the stud to 42 lbs.
#4
Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:39 PM
As I have no intention of removing it what is to stop me using Araldite to keep the bolts in the holes? Can't get the bonding padding stuff in and then drill as the engine is all installed and I am not taking it out to re-drill two holes!
I know it is not good engineering, but I am more concerned about not losing oil as I run the engine in.
I know it is not good engineering, but I am more concerned about not losing oil as I run the engine in.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users











