5 replies to this topic

#1 williampriest

williampriest

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Just wanting a bit of help and guidance before I go flying in feet first on a front engined vtec conversion, I currently have a cooper s and am looking to buy a cheap but tidy mini to do a conversion on. Basically i would just liek to get a feel for the price that some of these conversions cost and the difficulty involved.
I know that a new subby has to be used on the front, along with teh vtec engine and gearbox. Suspension and brakes obviosuly have to be changed front and rear. Are there any other major expenses??
Im not looking to spend silly ammounts of money and make evrything shiny, at the end of the i just want to rop a vtec into a mini and not spend huge ammounts on cosmetivs
Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks will

#2 williampriest

williampriest

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

it seems as i have put this in the section, help! i dotn know how to move it?!

#3 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Don't have to change the rear brakes unless you want to reduce the unsprung mass. Minifins will be perfectly good enough.

#4 lindy119

lindy119

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Local Club: looking for one!!

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Just wanting a bit of help and guidance before I go flying in feet first on a front engined vtec conversion, I currently have a cooper s and am looking to buy a cheap but tidy mini to do a conversion on. Basically i would just liek to get a feel for the price that some of these conversions cost and the difficulty involved.
I know that a new subby has to be used on the front, along with teh vtec engine and gearbox. Suspension and brakes obviosuly have to be changed front and rear. Are there any other major expenses??
Im not looking to spend silly ammounts of money and make evrything shiny, at the end of the i just want to rop a vtec into a mini and not spend huge ammounts on cosmetivs
Any help/ comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks will

i second this! would love to do exactly the same thing!! :lol:

#5 Gexx

Gexx

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Best thing to do is research, research, research...

The place to start is http://www.16vminicl...orums/index.php

There is a wealth of information on there :dontgetit:

#6 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

best way to put a vtec into a mini is to use the Allspeed frame.

the reason i say this is because you can reuse all your existing suspension and brakes AND hubs. (although it would be an idea to upgrade the front discs)
the Allspeed frame keeps the standard mini wheel base and track so your not mucking about with different hubs and suspension setups etc.

obviously its up to you what you use in the build but its probably the easiest way to go. you can still use coilovers if you like , or like me go for the coil spring replacements instead of the donuts.

theres 100's of other decisions to make with the vtec conversion and 99% of people go for an extended front end to make it easy to fit the whole lot in.

its possible to fit it all to a standard length round nose (im doing one) but it just costs a lot more and you get more headaches lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users