43 replies to this topic

#16 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Stop lights are E marked and approved as stop lights though, not as fog lamps. They have to pass different tests and have a different beam shape produced by the lens. Fog lamps are far more directional.

#17 edoddy

edoddy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Minis (WCM)

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

Simple Solution, disconnect the wiring for the drivers side reverse lamp. Replace with the wiring for the rear fog lamp. Insert red fog lamp bulb. (can find in hellfrauds, motaman etc...).

Easy, Legal, and most of all, neat!! (i think) rear fog up to one metre, and from the centre across to the drivers side, inside or out, will pass yr mot >_<

#18 mini_mentalist_chris

mini_mentalist_chris

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: S.L.M.O.C.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

Simple Solution, disconnect the wiring for the drivers side reverse lamp. Replace with the wiring for the rear fog lamp. Insert red fog lamp bulb. (can find in hellfrauds, motaman etc...).

Easy, Legal, and most of all, neat!! (i think) rear fog up to one metre, and from the centre across to the drivers side, inside or out, will pass yr mot >_<

So would that be more than 100mm from the brake lights? because that is another legal requirement. I am away at uni at the mo so can't check. I don't know whether that it would fit in with the whole E marking problem that Dan brought up in his reply to this.

#19 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

i fitted this kit over 5 years ago and have passed the dreaded mot everytime, takes 5 mins to fit and replaces one of your reverse lights as a fog light. because of how its made there is no chopping of cables, its basically plug & play.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...l...A1|240:1318

hope this has helped

Edited by Darkscamp, 08 March 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

It is completely illegal as we have said on here many times. The MOT does not check that your car is road legal. The MOT doesn't check the position or markings on a fog lamp either, it only checks that it is present and working. If you choose to change your car from the state it was in when it passed its type approval then it's up to you to make sure it's still legal. The reverse lens is too close to the stop lens and doesn't have the correct beam angle or markings to be used as a fog lamp. It is illegal, there is no way around that. Do it if you like, it's your car after all but if you get some points for it later on you can't say you weren't warned.

Edited by Dan, 08 March 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#21 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Although mounting the fog light in the rear cluster using one the of the reverse light spots is technically illegal, I've never heard of anyone fail an MOT for it or be pulled over by the police!

I ran my fog light in the cluster for 4 years on my old mini, and never once was I questioned about it.

That said, as above, it's your car, and you have to make up your own mind.

#22 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

How, I want to put mk1 lights on the rear of my Sprite, debumper it, and remove the bent roof.

This will give me no bumper line to hang it beneath, no rear lights to stick it in, and no rear window.

I'd rather not french it into the rear valence either, exhaust will be in the middle, and I want it as symmetrical as possible.

Any ideas, or have I effectively written off every possibility?

Dave

#23 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I'm in the same boat as you Dave! although I will have a rear window, but don't fancy putting a light in there..

But I don't see what the fuss is about.. I'm going to buy one of these and mount it at the bottom of the rear valance where the surface is almost flat, wouldn't hang down any further than the exhaust, they also do a clear lens for a reverse light.

http://www.classicpa....php?item_id=33

#24 ben88

ben88

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke miniclub

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

hey i had that kit in mine for ages no problem atall..ive now gone to mk2 lights so i have done away with the fog light compleatly...at mot time i jus tempary fix a lamp on the rear..no problems so far...as for the police my argument is 'i dont drive in the fog so why do i need one?'
dnt no if that helps but i jus like to share stuff.lol
ben

#25 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

as for the police my argument is 'i dont drive in the fog so why do i need one?'

>_< :D

Yeah I'm sure that'll help!

#26 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

as for the police my argument is 'i dont drive in the fog so why do i need one?'

>_< :D

Yeah I'm sure that'll help!

Well what if your driving and it get's foggy?

"It wasn't foggy when I came out officer, honest"

#27 ben88

ben88

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke miniclub

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

well ur stuffed den.lol..hahaha

#28 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:43 AM

...as for the police my argument is 'i dont drive in the fog so why do i need one?'

ben

You have a point there, think I'll take my safety belts out because I don't crash.

#29 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

The Pug fog light is fairly popular, and they are not that expensive either... but you need the mounting bracket which is usually in the rear bumper arrangement... It's one of these clip in type of lights...

I've got one here, hold on I'll take photo...

[attachment=82042:Pug_fog.jpg]

It may be worth PM'ing "the Stig" as we were talking about these a few weeks back and he may be willing to build a fiberglass mount for it to attach to the rear valance...

I was going to mount it in the boot below the number plate which is another viable option, but that project has now moved on elsewhere.

Edited by GuessWorks.co.uk, 13 March 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#30 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

I'm sure I'll think of something, wish the shell was older so I didn't need one, it's a pain in the arse, my Hornet hasn't got one, but the Sprite must have one, damnit!

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users