xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

Model:Mini Cooper
Year:1994
Description of problem (please be as in depth as possible):While attempting to replace the outer CV joint gaiter, the axle would not come off the inner CV joint. The outer joint came off the axle instead. Finally pulled the axle with the "star" of the inner joint attached and can not get it off. I drilled 1/2 inch hole on the back shell and have tried hitting it through the hole and now I am using a puller, as in the photo, to try to get the axle out. I added some penetrating oil to see if it helps. Any suggestions? Or, should I start looking for a left axle?

Any non-standard parts that might be involved with the problem?As far as I can tell the parts are original and not modified.

Thanks.

#2 sprintmini

sprintmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Hold the driveshaft in the vice,get a hammer and chisel and strike the remains of the CV joint knocking it off the shaft.
There is a circlip on the splined end of the shaft.
It will come off fairly easily once moved initially.
Using the puller is pulling the centre of the CV joint against itself so will not come off that way.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

If you remove the end cap entirely the puller will work, also with it removed you'll be able to get at the circlip to get it moving. You won't be able to get the clip out but should be able to get at it enough to knock it around and free it up. The penetrating oil will help a lot, just give it time. This joint is probably only good as an exchange now though.

#4 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

mine was a bugger to remove i took the cover off put one end in brick then using a hammer and chissel knocked it threw worked for me :P

#5 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:09 AM

[b]Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already ordered a new joint since this one was pitted with corrosion. The end cap was the worst as far as corrosion, that is why I drilled it. The hole is big enough to see the axle end also big enough for the puller shaft to go through and bear on the axle end. I did try holding the axle on the vise and hitting the the joint with a drift and a 2 pound hammer with all kinds of sparks and no movement. I will give the oil some more time and I will keep "tweaking" the puller each day. If all that does not work, I will try to use a Dremel tool try to split the joint.

Thanks again for the suggestions and any additional ones are very much welcome!

#6 sprintmini

sprintmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:58 AM

The circlip is only very thin so the joint should split fairly easy.
If not try dipping it in penetrating fluid overnight then set too with the hammer and chisel.
Be careful if you decide to cut it off with the dremel as you may damage the splines.
I have just done both mine on my GT and they came off very easily.

#7 sprintmini

sprintmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

In your photpgraph you have the puller located on the actual ball race,if trying to remove the joint its best to strike where the joint meets the shaft i.e. where my green arrow is pointing.

Attached File  driveshaft.jpg   1015.95K   238 downloads

Edited by sprintmini, 11 March 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#8 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:26 AM

with these i normally hold the drive shaft in one hand and use a big copper mallett and knock the joint off with the other hand, i've never had a problem getting them off like that.

#9 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

I finally got the thing off! The puller died a painful death, it broke with absolutely no movement of the joint. The Dremel tool worked very well, however I had to make four cuts and break pieces of the joint and still it was hard to get off what was left with a hammer and chisel. The axle looks usable after a good cleaning. Most of the corrosion was on the joint.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Attached Files

#10 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

with these i normally hold the drive shaft in one hand and use a big copper mallett and knock the joint off with the other hand, i've never had a problem getting them off like that.

thats what i do,except with a large rubber mallet :D first time i done it was a right *woman of ill repute* but easier now,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users