#1 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:45 AM

ask the title says my float keeps sticking/getting stuck and this makes my carb over flow and pour petrol onto the road, to solve the problem i have to take the float lid off and tap the float and move the little think the float hits to cut fuel off(dont know its name) i cant under stand why this keeps happening and its getting very annoying now, it can just happen when im driving or just ask im starting the car up

any ideas why it keeps happening?

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:37 AM

either the pin the float is hinged on or the float valve itself. Both parts are available and there's an improved valve.

http://www.minispare.....ALVE MINISP...

#3 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:12 AM

so this will be better than my valve i have at the moment, i did use a service kit on the carb a few weeks back to see if it would stop the overflowing but its just made it not happen as often

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,418 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

I doubt it if you've already got a new valve. What fuel pump are you using it could be producing more than the 3-4psi the SU needs. Look at the float and it's hinge pin for wear and gap the valve-float clearance a bit closer.

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

In addition to what Ethel has suggested, also look at the following.

There have been reports on some boards of float valves whose moving needle is slightly over-sized or has burrs on the "corners". They have been known to stick in place (open or closed). A quick fix is to gently scrape the corners to remove the tiniest bit of materials and insure the needle moves freely.

Over the years, several people on this board have mentioned that even new float valves leak. The general advice has been to remove the needle valve from the car then apply "toothpaste" to the needle tip and lap it into the seat by hand. Obviously clean off the toothpaste before re-installation.

Since you've replaced the float valve and the problem persists, perhaps part of the problem lies elsewhere. If not the fuel pump as Ethel suggested, how about the fuel lines themselves. There is always the possibility that your old rubber hoses after any filter may be breaking apart and crumbs of rubber are becoming stuck in the float valve seat preventing it from closing.

#6 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

I doubt it if you've already got a new valve. What fuel pump are you using it could be producing more than the 3-4psi the SU needs. Look at the float and it's hinge pin for wear and gap the valve-float clearance a bit closer.

the fuel pump in the original i have never changed it or done anything to it, how can i check the psi?

#7 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

I agree with Ethel. I have only used CA90 for 8 years now, no problems at all. The float has not got holed, has it?
Is it possible crud from the fuel line is moving and jamming the valve open? Have you got a filter in line? The two best things I ever did to my mini was electronic ignition and a fuel filter: 99% of all common problems solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users